PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

We Drafting a QB

I don't want to see Mac as the starter on this team, I just don't like dirty players. Is it safe to say that Mayo wants to run the offense as a Mcvay/Shanahan type scheme, given that he is interviewing 2 rams assistants.

He averaged 18.1 yards a catch this year and had 14 TDs. That says a bit more than possession receiver to me.
I wasn’t sure but a quick google search confirmed my suspicions, Randy moss averaged 18.3 with 25 TDs in college. Look I’m not saying he isn’t one hell of a prospect that some team will be very happy with, I’m just saying moss is not the guy I see when I watch him. More like a Larry Fitz

A great article on how to develop a QB. We need to have passing co-ordinator for at least 2 seasons and continuity in coaching.

I sincerely hope Kraft gives mayo at least 3 years irrespective of results.

This isn’t registering.
Ok, let’s break it down. 1) Mac and our 4th round pick for H. Hooker (addition of potential starter / subtraction of a QB who is not our starter at this point nor probably in the future) 2) Draft WR Harrison with our 1st round pick 3) Draft the best OT standing with our 2nd round pick 4) Draft JJ McCarthy with our 3rd round pick (second addition of a potential future starter to be groomed if Hooker does not work out / or as a potential future trade resource if Hooker does work out). Now that you understand the plan and options, I’m sure you’ll be writing Kraft and Mayo that you’ve found their new GM!

Last edited:
I'm against drafting a 1st round QB. It's such a low ROI move.
Look at the playoff teams this year:
6 of 14 teams starting their 1st round QB (only 4 drafted in top 10)
4 of 14 teams starting Vet FA trade/sign
4 of 14 teams starting low round picks (2nd, 3rd, 4th, 7th)

10 of 14 signed a good FA QB or drafted from bottom of 1st round - 7th round.

And that's exactly what we should do... Sign Cousins, Browning, Mayfield in FA (in that order)
And draft Nix in bottom 1st or top 2nd, OR Slovis, Pratt, Bryant in mid-lower rounds.

And that's exactly what we should do... Sign Cousins, Browning, Mayfield in FA (in that order)
And draft Nix in bottom 1st or top 2nd, OR Slovis, Pratt, Bryant in mid-lower rounds.
Wouldn’t want Cousins though.

Maybe just me, but I like a guy who you feel likes being part of your team.

BB always wanted guys who really loved football, and Cousins is just such an obvious mercenary.

Ya, Cousins is almost certain to go to an immediate contender. I doubt he wants to be part of an obvious rebuild here.
And, I fully expect the Bucs to sign Baker to a long term deal.
Which leaves us with Browning as the best available FA option - and he'd be wanting to build something with a chance for long term.
I DO NOT want to waste time with Tannehill, Darnold, Mariota, Winston, Minshew...
Maaaaaaybe Brissett or Dalton as a bridge if we do draft a 1st-2nd round QB.

Ok, let’s break it down. 1) Mac and our 4th round pick for H. Hooker (addition of potential starter / subtraction of a QB who is not our starter at this point nor probably in the future) 2) Draft WR Harrison with our 1st round pick 3) Draft the best OT standing with our 2nd round pick 4) Draft JJ McCarthy with our 3rd round pick (second addition of a potential future starter to be groomed if Hooker does not work out / or as a potential future trade resource if Hooker does work out). Now that you understand the plan and options, I’m sure you’ll be writing Kraft and Mayo that you’ve found their new GM!
McCarthy is projected to go in the first round.

McCarthy is projected to go in the first round.
That would be the blunder of the century.
McCarthy is literally Mac. Very average talent, decent game manager, who is carried by a vastly superior talented team.
He should go in the 3-4 round. But, winning will make someone take him higher - I'm praying it won't be the Pats.

Ya Mayo wants no part of Jones as QB1

Ya Mayo wants no part of Jones as QB1

What I will say, is that I'm already sick of Mayo's favorite line... "What I will say is..."
But, it's a lot better than grunts, snorts, coughs and "it is what it is".

Oh, and I also hope for the sake of Mayo's career, that he didn't actually give the media the draft strategy!?!

Oh, and I also hope for the sake of Mayo's career, that he didn't actually give the media the draft strategy!?!
That they'd like to take a WR, QB or Tackle at # 3 if they draft there? I wouldn't worry about that giving anything away, if they had a strategy other than that they would pretty darn stupid..

It's only a bad investment if you don't hit. Right now both AFC QB's left were first round QB's drafted by the team they were taken on.

On the NFC side, Goff was also a first round QB, he's not on his original team, but this is the second team he's brought to a conference title game with Super Bowl potential. So he's justifying where he was drafted even if his original team gave up on him for another QB that was drafted in the first round.

Purdy is an outlier. He's like Brady. You can expect someone like him once every 20 years. You shouldn't be basing your team building model on that.

If you hit, it's the absolute best investment a team can make, If you miss, yeah you passed up other worthwhile players at easier positions to evaluate.

Also the difference Cousins and Mayfield will cost a fortune in free agency. You will limit your ability to build around them

That they'd like to take a WR, QB or Tackle at # 3 if they draft there? I wouldn't worry about that giving anything away, if they had a strategy other than that they would pretty darn stupid..
Well in his first interview he led most to believe he was referring to QB.
In the radio int. today he purposely walked that back and mentioned OL, RB, WR - which is what I was hoping he'd do.
He clearly corrected from last week (probably from some coaching from Berj, Groh, Krafts)

Not to worry about drug use but not sure where you came up with a top 5 pick in the first round for Hooker as I believe I noted a 4th round pick not our #3 pick. And if the donuts are Dunkin’s that’s worth about a 4th round pick…
What you said was the #4 pick, not a 4th round pick. You gotta be careful with your verbiage because we own a top 5 pick in the draft this year.

Hooker wouldn't be my top choice for QB when we have a lot of elite QB prospects at the top where we'll be picking. He's a 26 year old prospect who sat his rookie year and hasn't really proven anything. If anything getting a veteran journeyman QB on cheap dollars who knows he's expected to be a backup and to help the new QB learn would be a better fit.

Could he turn out better than Zappe or Mac Jones? Well that's not a high bar. But what we actually need is a guy who can lead the team. And maybe that 4th round pick might be better used on another position. Why so averse to taking an elite QB prospect high when that's exactly what this team needs the most?

Trade Mac and the #4 pick to Detroit for Hendon Hooker then select JJ McCarthy at the top of round 3.

The idiots on the radio were criticizing him for not being more specific, what dopes, he probably said more than he should have.

What you said was the #4 pick, not a 4th round pick. You gotta be careful with your verbiage because we own a top 5 pick in the draft this year.

Hooker wouldn't be my top choice for QB when we have a lot of elite QB prospects at the top where we'll be picking. He's a 26 year old prospect who sat his rookie year and hasn't really proven anything. If anything getting a veteran journeyman QB on cheap dollars who knows he's expected to be a backup and to help the new QB learn would be a better fit.

Could he turn out better than Zappe or Mac Jones? Well that's not a high bar. But what we actually need is a guy who can lead the team. And maybe that 4th round pick might be better used on another position. Why so averse to taking an elite QB prospect high when that's exactly what this team needs the most?
Hooker was highly thought of coming out last year and in fact most “ experts” had him slated him going in Round #2 even with age/ACL concerns. I’m not adverse to taking a QB high this year and in fact think Daniels may be a worthwhile choice if we can’t get Maye at Pick #3 in the First Round but I also like McCarthy and believe a year sitting/learning would pay huge dividends.

Who's that vet? And how much better is he going to be than Fields?

I'm not saying I want Fields but I'd take that chance over Tannehill.
OK so, a 2nd for Fields instead of Tannehill and a starting RT (chosen at 34).

PASS

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
Back