PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

We Drafting a QB

I suspect that all 4 (including Nix) will be drafted in the top 10, although Nix could last a couple of more spots, but not more).

Evaluations may change before the draft, but I would not be shocked to see someone draft Nix in the top 5 to make sure that they get their top QB prospect.

And that’s the reason you don’t screw around by thinking you can trade back and still get the player you really want. I want any of the top 3 QB’s but if for some reason they had Nix rated better than any of them then I would rather see them take him at 3 than to trade back and watch another team jump up and take him, and the Patriots end up with the worst QB’s in football for the foreseeable future.

It would have to be 11, 42 and next year's 1st just to start the discussion - they've got nothing else but day 3 picks.
Sounds like they might be willing to pay more than that. If the Pats aren't in love with one of the QBs here they could ask for the moon from them and probably get it.

Sounds like they might be willing to pay more than that. If the Pats aren't in love with one of the QBs here they could ask for the moon from them and probably get it.
If it were up to me I'd jump on it, especially as I'm convinced Mac Jones is getting another year here regardless. Unless by some miracle Williams drops to 3 - I think he and Harrison will be gone by 3, so let someone else draft Drake Maye.

If the Pats are looking to fleece a team that wants one of the top QB's badly enough we might have a willing trade partner.

Great. They really need to get weapons so Mac Jones and Bailey Zappe can lead them to another 4 win season.

It would be fair to argue that a WR's decision in coming here in FA may depend on whether or not we make a move to acquire a QB in the draft. May be something the staff will have to show some transparency with there.

No hanks. They don’t need more picks, they need great players.
You should be able to get a great offensive player at 11.
Mac Jones is going to be the QB next year - even if you think Drake Maye is the next Tom Brady, he's going to sit all year - and be a waste of an incredibly high draft pick.

Great. They really need to get weapons so Mac Jones and Bailey Zappe can lead them to another 4 win season.
It'll be worse than that. The team would find it's way to 6-7 wins and won't even be in a good position to land a QB in the draft next year. Needing to basically trade up the picks they acquired in the trade down in the first place to move up for a good prospect.

You should be able to get a great offensive player at 11.
Mac Jones is going to be the QB next year - even if you think Drake Maye is the next Tom Brady, he's going to sit all year - and be a waste of an incredibly high draft pick.
This schtick is getting old really fast.

I know you're playing up like you have some epiphany, or are just trying really hard at some reverse jinx here. But it's becoming a broken record at this point.

This schtick is getting old really fast.

I know you're playing up like you have some epiphany, or are just trying really hard at some reverse jinx here. But it's becoming a broken record at this point.
K. Remember this post opening day.

K. Remember this post opening day.
What actually happens isn't even relevant. The reality is that you do not know more than any of us on this.

Even if this scenario plays out, it wasn't because you were some soothsayer.

What actually happens isn't even relevant. The reality is that you do not know more than any of us on this.

Even if this scenario plays out, it wasn't because you were some soothsayer.
Cool. Block me if you don't like it.

Penix or Nix, I mean, in my heart of hearts, 34 is still too high for those guys, but you might not have a choice at that point. But that's where you take your flyer - not at 3. Agree.
Don’t know much about Nix; but I’m a big NO on Penix with his injury history and performance in the national title game.

It'll be worse than that. The team would find it's way to 6-7 wins and won't even be in a good position to land a QB in the draft next year. Needing to basically trade up the picks they acquired in the trade down in the first place to move up for a good prospect.

Yep, and next years draft class for QB’s is supposed to be weak.

In a normal draft year I can see moving around, trying to obtain more picks while addressing various needs. This year is different. The Patriots have the best position in the draft that they have had in over 30 years, and they have the worst QB situation in football. This draft has 3 really good QB prospects, and the Patriots are guaranteed to get one of them if they just stay put. But if they love one more than the others they can move onto get them. They can even get their QB at 3, and then make a relatively small move into the second half of the first round and get a WR like Coleman, or a tackle like Mims or Guyton, with the rest of the draft and free agency to address their other needs.

Yep, and next years draft class for QB’s is supposed to be weak.

In a normal draft year I can see moving around, trying to obtain more picks while addressing various needs. This year is different. The Patriots have the best position in the draft that they have had in over 30 years, and they have the worst QB situation in football. This draft has 3 really good QB prospects, and the Patriots are guaranteed to get one of them if they just stay put. But if they love one more than the others they can move onto get them. They can even get their QB at 3, and then make a relatively small move into the second half of the first round and get a WR like Coleman, or a tackle like Mims or Guyton, with the rest of the draft and free agency to address their other needs.
Certainly not a good class next year. The names look pretty underwhelming all around.

Certainly not a good class next year. The names look pretty underwhelming all around.

And if that’s accurate, and they don’t get their QB of the future in this draft, then we are looking at them drifting from season to season with everybody else’s refuse at QB. And that would really suck.

They have gone 4 years with no success, they need to turn it around, starting now, not 3 years from now, and that starts at QB.

Last edited:
I am starting to come around to drafting a QB
Looking more into all 3. They have warts but lots of upside
That is if they are close to being rated close to MHJ and OT
I feel a small reach is justified
FA will tip our hand
We have money to burn. Get a WR and some O-Line help in FA
Draft a QB at 3 then a OT in 2nd or move up a bit
Again as long as it is not a big reach

It would be fair to argue that a WR's decision in coming here in FA may depend on whether or not we make a move to acquire a QB in the draft. May be something the staff will have to show some transparency with there.
So, someone on staff should guarantee a WR prospect that we will draft a QB in the first 3 picks.

Of course, that's possible. Also, the staff member should be fired, as well the agent who believed him.

I am starting to come around to drafting a QB
Looking more into all 3. They have warts but lots of upside
That is if they are close to being rated close to MHJ and OT
I feel a small reach is justified
FA will tip our hand
We have money to burn. Get a WR and some O-Line help in FA
Draft a QB at 3 then a OT in 2nd or move up a bit
Again as long as it is not a big reach
there are probably a dozen teams that would like to sign an OT. We need at least two starters. Perhaps, we succeed; more likely not.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
Back