PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

We Drafting a QB

Trade Mac and the #4 pick to Detroit for Hendon Hooker then select JJ McCarthy at the top of round 3. Mac cheaply replaces Bridgewater and its better than getting a 7th rounder for him. Plus after today, Goff looks like their long term starter. Hooker had a year to recover from his ACL and if it doesn’t work out J.J. gets worked in mid-year to get ready for 2025 (heck - he just turned old enough to legally drink). In this scenario, we take Harrison with #3 pick and the best OT with #34.
McCarthy is a JAG level NFL QB…not much more than or equal to Mac 2.0

Hard pass on him and Penix…

there are probably a dozen teams that would like to sign an OT. We need at least two starters. Perhaps, we succeed; more likely not.
I agree
Brown is the 2nd Rated OT in FA. His attitude is rotten at times
I know it is early, We have not even had a Combine or Personal Workouts
How do you feel at this point with a strategy consisting of FA and Draft
I know it’s hypothetical

I agree
Brown is the 2nd Rated OT in FA. His attitude is rotten at times
I know it is early, We have not even had a Combine or Personal Workouts
How do you feel at this point with a strategy consisting of FA and Draft
I know it’s hypothetical
There is no other strategy.

We MUST sign a top OT or two in free agency.
We MUST draft an OT in the first round, and another in the 3rd or 4th as OT's of the future.

There is no other strategy.

We MUST sign a top OT or two in free agency.
We MUST draft an OT in the first round, and another in the 3rd or 4th as OT's of the future.
I keep going back and forth on the draft end of things
We can’t screw up this pick
We need a QB but they are risky.
We also need to build a good OLine or else any QB will not flourish.
The 2 top OT’s will probably give you 10-15 good years.
MHJ will probably do the same
FA signings will be interesting

I keep going back and forth on the draft end of things
We can’t screw up this pick
We need a QB but they are risky.
We also need to build a good OLine or else any QB will not flourish.
The 2 top OT’s will probably give you 10-15 good years.
MHJ will probably do the same
FA signings will be interesting
You only get 5 years out of any player.

QB's are risky, but the rewards are much, much greater if we hit.

I thought he looked like a JAG too watching just a few of his games. Upon reading about the QB prospects, I learned he was still only 20 in the national championship game which his team won while Penix was 23. That matters. If he puts on 10-15 pounds of muscle, we could see some real physical development. Depending how things play out, I could be interested in him in the third round or maybe the 2nd

I thought he looked like a JAG too watching just a few of his games. Upon reading about the QB prospects, I learned he was still only 20 in the national championship game which his team won while Penix was 23. That matters. If he puts on 10-15 pounds of muscle, we could see some real physical development. Depending how things play out, I could be interested in him in the third round or maybe the 2nd
He looked super raw and would need at least 2 years of development . Why spend a late 1st on him . At this point I feel we should just trade 3 with chargers and see if we can get a extra 2nd round pick and punt on 5th pick if daniels falls to it. If daniels goes before that , grab the OT at 5 and then grab one WR at 34 and another OT or QB ( Mccarthy if available ) at 37

I see your point. The issue with that is he’s a project/developmental QB who’s not NFL ready IMO and we have no decent NFL QB on our roster. I’m not sure we want to invest a 1/2 rounder on a project…seems we could do much better with that draft capital.

If we do draft a guy like McCarthy, we definitely need to bring in a proven vet QB like a Cousins, Mayfield, Brissett because there’s no way we only go with some sort of combo with McCarthy, Mac, Zappe. That would be atrocious.

from Ken

This guy does a fine job with extensive discussions of various items, including QBs. on Twitter and on Youtube.

You only get 5 years out of any player.

QB's are risky, but the rewards are much, much greater if we hit.
Good afternoon Cousins. Great breakfast this AM of bacon and egg sandwich on toasted oatmeal bread with fried potatoes. GrapeCran juice and lemon tea. topped off with a small piece of cinnamon pastry.

I have been studying more tape. Can we wait three years for development on these QBs or can we come into the 2024 season with a kid who is playing better as he matures, Justin Fields? I am not a Fields honorary club member but watch the tape. He has two more years on his rookies contract. If the Bears feel that Caleb Williams is Mahomes , so be it.
If you say to the Bears I will give you the #3 pick and Mac Jones so you can have Williams and MHJ in exchange for their #9 pick, Fields and OT Braxton Jones, it still leaves us with an OT OR #1 WR option at #9 and #34. Day Alt at #9 and Leggette at #34.
You are fixing the OL and WR issues and a QB who might be assenting.

The Bears have mocked us trade #3 and our 2025 1st and 2nd for Caleb Williams....too risky for me.

I would rather gamble o the kid with NFL tape....Fields.

Thoughts?
DW Toys

The Cork must be loving the distraction from BB’s exit and job search.

Or judging by that photo I posted with Jones wearing a studded MAC necklace maybe he’s starting his new social media career with his girlfriend like Stiddy and his wife are doing.

Good afternoon Cousins. Great breakfast this AM of bacon and egg sandwich on toasted oatmeal bread with fried potatoes. GrapeCran juice and lemon tea. topped off with a small piece of cinnamon pastry.

I have been studying more tape. Can we wait three years for development on these QBs or can we come into the 2024 season with a kid who is playing better as he matures, Justin Fields? I am not a Fields honorary club member but watch the tape. He has two more years on his rookies contract. If the Bears feel that Caleb Williams is Mahomes , so be it.
If you say to the Bears I will give you the #3 pick and Mac Jones so you can have Williams and MHJ in exchange for their #9 pick, Fields and OT Braxton Jones, it still leaves us with an OT OR #1 WR option at #9 and #34. Day Alt at #9 and Leggette at #34.

The Bears have mocked us trade #3 and our 2025 1st and 2nd for Caleb Williams....too risky for me.

I would rather gamble o the kid with NFL tape....Fields.

Thoughts?
DW Toys
Personally, I would not trade up and I would not trade for Fields, unless we want Fields as the 2-year transition "veteran".

The personnel guys need to make their judgements. I am fine with whichever QB they pick at 3. I would expect us to try to extract a pick for AZ. Personally, I would prefer Nix to Daniels. Folks here agree and think they can get him at 34. I don't think that he will be there at 14.

If the team agrees, then they might trade down more than once and pick Nix at 6 or 7.

Personally, I would not trade up and I would not trade for Fields, unless we want Fields as the 2-year transition "veteran".

The personnel guys need to make their judgements. I am fine with whichever QB they pick at 3. I would expect us to try to extract a pick for AZ. Personally, I would prefer Nix to Daniels. Folks here agree and think they can get him at 34. I don't think that he will be there at 14.

If the team agrees, then they might trade down more than once and pick Nix at 6 or 7.
Cousin, If that is the case, I am all in for MHJ at #3 and wait for Nix or Penix at #34.

Best arm in the Draft? Rattler. He is also mobile. Played behind the worse OL in the SEC. Has matured from a AH when he was a kid. His Team loved him. Maybe we can get him in third round or Pratt?

DW Toys

McCarthy’s talent level is way higher than Mac’s, MUCH stronger arm, can throw on the run, can run with designed runs. Only place Mac had him beat was accuracy. But McCarthy is young, turns 21 this month, he is far from a finished product.

Cousin, If that is the case, I am all in for MHJ at #3 and wait for Nix or Penix at #34.

Best arm in the Draft? Rattler. He is also mobile. Played behind the worse OL in the SEC. Has matured from a AH when he was a kid. His Team loved him. Maybe we can get him in third round or Pratt?

DW Toys
Penix has a better arm than Rattler.

What is your verdict on what to do with the third pick? What do you think about possibly trading down?
Sorry I wanted to answer this correctly with something behind it but couldn't find the quote in my alerts.

At 3 - If we eventually sign some experienced offensive hires I'm all for drafting Drake Maye.

If not or we don't like Maye for we reason I'm taking Harrison. Who's probably my #1 overall prospect.

It's really them two at 3. If both are gone I would trade down as little as possible, pick up more picks. Definitely a 2025 1st. And draft Alt, Daniels, Odunze Nabers, Fashanu or Fuaga. I don't grade until after athletic testing but I believe MHJ and Alt will 1 & 2 on my board.

I would trade down but not out the top 10. Every draft is different. You'll have 2-5 "elite" level prospects. 10 or so solid 1st RD types. 20-30 late 1st round-early 2nd. And so on but this team needs real talent on offense. A game changer at WR or QB or a tackle you can not worry about for eight to ten years. Best way to solve that is staying in the top ten.

(I just wrote about Maye in the DF. He's certainly not perfect. None of the QBs are worth a top 5 pick imo but we know they'll go early and I'm taking one it's him. That said and I'm not playing the fence here. I'm very comfortable with "building the team" before "getting the QB" or just taking a chance on someone else. 2nd 3rd round prospect trade or fa etc we've seen you can do both.)

Last edited:
Sorry I wanted to answer this correctly with something behind it but couldn't find the quote in my alerts.

At 3 - If we eventually sign some experienced offensive hires I'm all for drafting Drake Maye.

If not or we don't like Maye for we reason I'm taking Harrison. Who's probably my #1 overall prospect.

It's really them two at 3. If both are gone I would trade down as little as possible, pick up more picks. Definitely a 2025 1st. And draft Alt, Daniels, Odunze Nabers, Fashanu or Fuaga. I don't grade until after athletic testing but I believe MHJ and Alt will 1 & 2 on my board.

I would trade down but not out the top 10. Every draft is different. You'll have 2-5 "elite" level prospects. 10 or so solid 1st RD types. 20-30 late 1st round-early 2nd. And so on but this team needs real talent on offense. A game changer at WR or QB or a tackle you can not worry about for eight to ten years. Best way to solve that is staying in the top ten.

(I just wrote about Maye in the DF. He's certainly not perfect. None of the QBs are worth a top 5 pick imo but we know they'll go early and I'm taking one it's him. That said and I'm not playing the fence here. I'm very comfortable with "building the team" before "getting the QB" or just taking a chance on someone else. 2nd 3rd round prospect trade or fa etc we've seen you can do both.)

Thanks for the thoughtful response, bud. Your last graph echoes thoughts I've had for quite some time -- primarily, building the offense first and dealing with QBs a close second. Like you I'm not sold on any of those rookie quarterbacks at No. 3 but if it HAS to be one, Maye is it. And great observation about having the right coaching in place to groom him, that is a legit concern at this juncture.

Getting weapons into this offense is a need equal to QB, in my opinion. That's why picking MHJ at No. 3 would seem reasonable. (I was hesitant about whether he's fast enough to excel at the next level then saw that he runs in the 4.3 range.) But yes, if they can trade down but not too far and fill multiple needs -- or get a first-rounder in 2025 -- that would be my choice, especially if they nab a franchise tackle. Interesting that you like Alt over Fashanu but apparently both have strong selling points.

So, fingers crossed they (A) trade down or (B) take MHJ at No. 3. Thanks again. :)

Thanks for the thoughtful response, bud. Your last graph echoes thoughts I've had for quite some time -- primarily, building the offense first and dealing with QBs a close second. Like you I'm not sold on any of those rookie quarterbacks at No. 3 but if it HAS to be one, Maye is it. And great observation about having the right coaching in place to groom him, that is a legit concern at this juncture.

Getting weapons into this offense is a need equal to QB, in my opinion. That's why picking MHJ at No. 3 would seem reasonable. (I was hesitant about whether he's fast enough to excel at the next level then saw that he runs in the 4.3 range.) But yes, if they can trade down but not too far and fill multiple needs -- or get a first-rounder in 2025 -- that would be my choice, especially if they nab a franchise tackle. Interesting that you like Alt over Fashanu but apparently both have strong selling points.

So, fingers crossed they (A) trade down or (B) take MHJ at No. 3. Thanks again. :)
Trading down is always an option and here's the scenario that intrigues me the most!

Maye and Williams go 1 & 2 in some order. Zona calls and obviously wants Marv.

Ok but I want 4, 27, 35 and a 2025 3rd

That would give us 4, 27, 34, 35, 68 to reshape this team for the next 5-8 years.

Harrison will be considered an "elite" prospect by many and *if* Zona is going all in on Murray I could see them pulling the trigger to give Murray the ultimate bailout in Big Marv. Who stylistically physically and in terms of career reminds me of Mike Evans and Larry Fitzgerald. Big guys with great feet strong hands good off the line and at the top of the route with real NFL long speed. If Marv passes all the athletic test and I know what he should run/jump. It'll be tough to pass but everyone is going to want him. Chargers, Zona, Chicago. You're phone will be ringing. So I think that deal or something like it wouldn't be too off.

That would give us the option to solve or at throw real resources at QB WR OT.

Take Daniels at 4 and use 27 + 34 + 68 to move back into the top ten for Alt, Fashanu, Nabers or Odunze.

Daniels/Alt and (wr) Franklin, Worthy, Ladd at 35

Daniels/Odunze and (ot) Paul, Suamataia, Guyton at 35

Daniels/Odunze and (wr) Ladd (PTP slot w long speed and nuanced rr) Franklin (deep threat that's improving his rr)

All three immediately changes this offense. Plus we have other resources to throw at we position what get neglected early. All three are extremely tempting to me.

A)A running game with Daniels, Stevenson, Alt would be so fun. Throw in one of those wrs this would be a home run.

B)You get your QB1 in Daniels WR1 in Odunze and legitimate starter level worthy prospect at OT. I would love this. Daniels loves unloading on the deep ball and Odunze is monster WR with terrific tracking body control and play strength.

C)Yea a tackle isn't picked. Not the most balanced but again we could get a tackle another way or go multiple options. Let's look at the bright side. An offense that has Daniels and Odunze and one of the other wrs above would immediately put us into top 10 offense territory imo. We have our QB1. Our WR corp is transformed - Odunze/X high IQ, great tracker and 50/50 wr who's improved against press every year.

Pop/Slot/Flex

Adding Ladd or Worthy would give us a Alpha X and two really unique guys in Pop and either Ladd or Worthy. Ladd is a nuanced rr, tough kid you can move around. Very reliable will keep the chains moving but has long speed. Nice threat from the slot. Worthy is instant quickness and explosion former track guy. Just get the ball in his hands.

Franklin or a Mitchell would really complement Odunze outside and give Daniels two legit boundary options. And remember he's somewhat opposite Lamar in the sense well of a lot of things. Daniels is a late one hit wonder that did it with outstanding talent at LSU but he's undoubtedly better throwing outside the numbers/boundary. Again older prospect he should be but Lamar was/is much better in the MOF. So getting Daniels two NFL ready starters outside, with Pop inside. And obviously Rham behind him. Would give us quite the offense to get excited about.

We could trade back at 4 if we have a specific target for more picks too. Anyway that's the scenario that really gets me going.

If the Bears wants Caleb and MHJ they gotta give much more than that. At least their 1st round pick in 2025 on top of that.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
Back