PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

We ARE the #2 seed right now

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: As of now, are the Pats the #2 seed????

Patriots need Denver to beat Baltimore, and then win out ourselves, since Broncos have a cake remaining schedule.

Or have the Ravens beat the Broncos but lose to somebody else.
Or have the Texans lose one game in addition to the Pats.

I believe the Pats get the #2 if either of those happen, #1 if both happen.

So the Pats need to win out and, really, hope Denver wins out too. Kind of weird, but ok.

Not really, if we do win out we just need Bmore to lose 1 game to any of the 4 remaining teams on teir schedule, and it wouldn't matter what DEN does.

Last edited:
Repeat after me, fnordcircle. Slowly, douchey. NOT IN 3-WAY TIES.

Do I need to repeat it again amigo?

Last edited:

WRONG, for about the 10th time tonight.

If we win out, we get no worse than the #2 seed.

Nope
Pats win out
Ravens win out
Texans lose to the Pats, win the rest

1. Texans
2. Ravens
3. Pats

WRONG, for about the 10th time tonight.

If we win out, we get no worse than the #2 seed.

Nah man, if we and Ravens win out they will be seeded ahead of us. We'll both be 13-3, Denver will be 12-4(at best, since the Ravens would have beaten them), and Bmore beats us in the tiebreaker. If we win out we still need the Ravens to lose 1 more game if we want to finish ahead of them.

Last edited:
Suggs injury could keep him out a few weeks which is good for our rank in the playoffs

Last edited:

Sciz, I stand corrected. You're right. That damn game in Baltimore that got stolen from us.

Head to Head still counts in a 3 way tie. Just not in an instance like we are discussing where each team has lost to one of the remaining and beaten one of the remaining.

If Houston beats the Pats, for instance and then the Pats, Ravens and Texans all ended 12-4 Houston would get the #1 seed based on having the Head to Head tie-breaker against the Ravens and the Pats.

You need to chill out.

This will change in a couple weeks when the broncos and ravens play. Here is hoping the broncos win because otherwise head to head comes back into play and the ravens have that. Wouldn't it be ironic if we had to root for the broncos to keep winning down the stretch to keep it as a three way tie instead of pats versus Baltimore?

Head to Head still counts in a 3 way tie. Just not in an instance like we are discussing where each team has lost to one of the remaining and beaten one of the remaining.

If Houston beats the Pats, for instance and then the Pats, Ravens and Texans all ended 12-4 Houston would get the #1 seed based on having the Head to Head tie-breaker against the Ravens and the Pats.

You need to chill out.

From the NFL rules on tiebreakers:

Three or More Clubs

(Note: If two clubs remain tied after third or other clubs are eliminated, tie breaker reverts to step 1 of applicable two-club format.)

Apply division tie breaker to eliminate all but the highest ranked club in each division prior to proceeding to step 2. The original seeding within a division upon application of the division tie breaker remains the same for all subsequent applications of the procedure that are necessary to identify the two Wild-Card participants.
Head-to-head sweep. (Applicable only if one club has defeated each of the others or if one club has lost to each of the others.)

Bolded the relevant part for you.

This will change in a couple weeks when the broncos and ravens play. Here is hoping the broncos win because otherwise head to head comes back into play and the ravens have that. Wouldn't it be ironic if we had to root for the broncos to keep winning down the stretch to keep it as a three way tie instead of pats versus Baltimore?

We either need the Broncos to win or the Texans to drop another game in addition to losing to us.

Three way tie with us, Houston and Ravens and we'll get the #1 seed in that scenario.

Last edited:
here's the irony in all this. if balt. beats denver in a few weeks, and the pats and ravens win out the rest of their schedule, pats drop down to the 3 seed. we are clinging to the 2 seed right now because of Denver.

You are correct, and I agree as to the irony of it all.

Unfortunately, being the #2 seed today means nothing. There are still 5 weeks to play. Talk to me then.

I think the Ravens will be out of the bye race by then and it will be the Pats. Texans, and Broncos fighting for those two byes.

Ravens and Broncos play in Baltimore in a couple of weeks. Going to be a very interesting and fun stretch run this year.

here's the irony in all this. if balt. beats denver in a few weeks, and the pats and ravens win out the rest of their schedule, pats drop down to the 3 seed. we are clinging to the 2 seed right now because of Denver.

Yeah. Still there's no downside to the Ravens losing because it slightly increases our slim chances of getting a bye if we go to 12-4.

The Ravens won't get either of the top 2 seeds. Take them out of the equation. It's going to come down to NE,Houston & Denver for HFA & the bye.

baltimore is definitely on a downward trajectory, I don't see them doing better than 2-2 the rest of the way

The Pats clinching their division gives them the #2 seed for now. Not conference record or head-to-head.

And for those wondering, head-to-head ALWAYS trumps conference record.

Not in a 3 way tie. Only comes into play IF one team sweeps the other 2 teams.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference