PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Watson and TE

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think this thread is a touch over the top. The source of our disapointment over Watson stems from his being overdrafted in '04. He was graded a 2nd rounder, and taken with a luxury pick. We were wearing our Super Bowl goggles and the front office could do no wrong, so we assumed that Belichick snuck up and took the next Ben Coates.

If Watson were taken in the bottom of the 2nd round, after Karlos Dansby and Bob Sanders, we'd be singing a different tune. Watson is an above average tight end, and he'd be a starter on a dozen other teams. If you compare his numbers to his cap hit, he's one of the better values on this roster.

People here love to slam Watson at pretty much every chance they get. It may be that the Patriots agree with those who do this, but you sure can't tell that by looking at the snaps taken on offense. Taking the Raiders game as the latest example, Watson took as many snaps as any other runner/receiver on offense, taking the same 68 out of 71 that Moss and Welker took. The week before, Watson played 59 of 72 snaps.

I don't pretend to know what the Patriots brain trust really thinks about Watson. Judging by the numbers, though, it seems pretty clear that they either don't have an issue with him to the extent that many of the fans do, or they are willing to use him all game long anyway just to get the formations they want.

Last edited:
Dropping the ball is one thing, but it's the way Ben always seems to doink the ball into the air allowing the defense to get an easy pick that annoys the crap out of me.

What in the name of Garrett Mills is wrong with Dave Thomas? He is a little small but has great hands...I really thought he could be our future Dallas Clark.

I don't pretend to know what the Patriots brain trust really thinks about Watson. Judging by the numbers, though, it seems pretty clear that they either don't have an issue with him to the extent that many of the fans do, or they are willing to use him all game long anyway just to get the formations they want.

My guess would be, with the weapons we have on offense, the biggest thing a TE can add to it right now is blocking, and Watson is our best option for that. Thomas might be a slightly better receiver, but he doesn't block as well yet.

The depth at TE is not good enough to go cutting him next year. I'm thinking we'll draft a 2-3 round pick at TE. Use him as the 3rd TE next year, and hope he is able to grow into the #1 or #2 spot at TE, putting pressure on Watson and Thomas into their contract years.

My guess would be, with the weapons we have on offense, the biggest thing a TE can add to it right now is blocking, and Watson is our best option for that. Thomas might be a slightly better receiver, but he doesn't block as well yet.
His foot injury really set him back. He was a pretty good blocker as a rookie, now he struggles. He was finding ways to get open as a rookie...

I hope a full offseason program helps him get his body retuned for 2009.

People here love to slam Watson at pretty much every chance they get. It may be that the Patriots agree with those who do this, but you sure can't tell that by looking at the snaps taken on offense. Taking the Raiders game as the latest example, Watson took as many snaps as any other runner/receiver on offense, taking the same 68 out of 71 that Moss and Welker took. The week before, Watson played 59 of 72 snaps.

Agreed, 68 of 71 offensive plays. He'll be around next year.

Reiss reported that Hochstein had more offensive snaps than Thomas at tight end. Thomas must really be in the doghouse. 1 snap, at the end of the game? Maybe Thomas won't be around?

Last edited:
Watson, yeah I was really pissed at him during the game but in reality he's a victim of us fans over rating. We (at least I) expected the world of the last 1st round reach draft pick. He's underperformed a bit as a receiver but obviously comes to play or he wouldn't be the guy out there. As others have said, he'd need to get caught with BB's girlfriend to get cut next year because he's such a good value for his cap hit.

Thomas went from rookie fan exhuberance to BB's doghouse upon return from last injury year. Maybe he ran over Belichick's kids' puppy or something but he can't get PT although healthy.

BB may take a later round developmental blocking TE.

Last edited:
Maybe Jason Witten will be looking for a new home after the TO contingent gets done blaming him for Dallas' woes...

Ben is doing a better job of blocking, he and Tommy are more in-sync than he and Mattyice. We've known for some time that Ben is not a natural receiver, he struggles, we scream and pull our hair. Life's a beach, all that blasted sand to irritate tender skin and such - Ben is going nowhere while he's under contract...and he's more likely to be re-signed than Graham.
Didn't you hear that Whitten and Romo are roommates? Or woomates? Better stop there. :rolleyes:

What in the name of Garrett Mills is wrong with Dave Thomas? He is a little small but has great hands...I really thought he could be our future Dallas Clark.

Please when we mention the name Dallas Clark in comparison could we please compare him to real players.:snob: Garrett Mills and most notably Dave Thomas aren't real players.:rolleyes:

Last edited:
My problem with Watson is that he never improved.

I also see at as a failure of the Patriots scouting department. Watson is a smart guy, a physical specimen but not a football plater. He is always off balance and fights the ball. Did we not see these traits on film prior to the 04 draft? I thought the Patriots philosophy is to bring in football players, not guys with overwhelming physical skills but few football instincts. Watson (and to some extent C. Jackson and Maroney) challenge this philosophy.

He sucks this year, way worse than last, however I say keep him I hate when we waste alot of draft picks fishing for a TE. bleh

My problem with Watson is that he never improved.

I also see at as a failure of the Patriots scouting department. Watson is a smart guy, a physical specimen but not a football plater. He is always off balance and fights the ball. Did we not see these traits on film prior to the 04 draft? I thought the Patriots philosophy is to bring in football players, not guys with overwhelming physical skills but few football instincts. Watson (and to some extent C. Jackson and Maroney) challenge this philosophy.

I think CJ and LoMo probably looked great on college film.

Watson catches passes with his body and seems to tip/deflect balls often when it is a high/wide throw because he could not get his body in front. THAT had to be seen on college film...the size, speed and smarts cannot be ignored, but give me a tight end without hands...and what am I going to do with him?

Good point. He is on the field pretty much in all packages and that shows confidence from BB/McD.

Eh, I still love Ben for the INT touchdown save he made in the divisional against Denver in '05 but watching him alligator arm a wide open pass over the middle because he was afraid to get hit was enough for me. I wouldn't lose sleep if we decided to spend a high draft pick on a tight end this offseason and let him walk.

I thought the Patriots philosophy is to bring in football players, not guys with overwhelming physical skills but few football instincts. Watson (and to some extent C. Jackson and Maroney) challenge this philosophy.

Keep McDaniels out of the draft room. Go back to spending high picks in the trenches and on DEFENSE.

Good point. He is on the field pretty much in all packages and that shows confidence from BB/McD.

Gaffney plays a ton of snaps too, it doesn't mean he's a starting quality WR.

Watson is our best tight end and we need one for a lot of formations, that is why he is used.

Watson is a slightly above average TE. No more, no less. He won't be cut from the team, and yes, they could try to improve at the position, but so could 75% of the teams in the league because there are few upper-end TEs. The fact is, the current incarnation of the Pats' offense doesn't overly rely on the TE, so I can't see them breaking the bank or spending a high draft pick for one.

It does suck that he seems to average about one "d'oh" play a game, but he still makes his fair share of plays which often gets overlooked in threads like this.

i'd love to see watson return a kick one of these days

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes