PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Waters' Locker Cleaned Out (Update: Reports Nameplate Taken Down)

Status
Not open for further replies.
You're kidding right? :bricks: This is far from the most talented group we've had. Last years Light - Mankins - Connely - Waters - Solder/Vollmer was much better...

Uhhh...did I say it was the most talented? (Hint: No.)

So you've now made the comparison to one other line up we've fielded in 13 years. Congrats!!! Great detective work.

We've probably fielded 15 to 20 starting O-lines in BB's tenure (at least that got significant reps together). You only need to dig up 14 to 19 more to prove your point.

Best of luck.

Not anything like he was supposed to be for the first overall pick in the 91 draft.....Harlow was a huge disappointment,almost a Kenneth Sims like disappointment.

man, this is right in my wheelhouse. harlow was the 11th pick and leonard russell the 14th. we got those picks from dallas so they could pick russell maryland. we traded the no.1 overall pick to the cowboys after "the rocket" ismail decided to go to canada.

here's to hoping that waters "finds" his way back to the pats.

I'm still hoping to earn my tea-reading credentials....

In optimistic delusional moments, I am thinking the cutting of Tennant and signing of a FB means that the Waters situation is maybe coming back around. tennant was a backup plan if waters no-shows and now maybe waters has contacted the club.

(then again I can't imagine BB would cut the backup plan based on a phone call without having seen what waters can still do on the practice field).

ah well; figuring out what BB is up to has done more to provide gainful employment (for media figures anyway) than anything anybody in govt has done to get folks employed.

I'm still hoping to earn my tea-reading credentials....

In optimistic delusional moments, I am thinking the cutting of Tennant and signing of a FB means that the Waters situation is maybe coming back around. tennant was a backup plan if waters no-shows and now maybe waters has contacted the club.

(then again I can't imagine BB would cut the backup plan based on a phone call without having seen what waters can still do on the practice field).

ah well; figuring out what BB is up to has done more to provide gainful employment (for media figures anyway) than anything anybody in govt has done to get folks employed.

Belichick certainly did not sound too optimistic during the phone interview yesterday.

I would hope that you're right of course, but I would say that it's a very safe assumption that the team has moved on by placing him on the reserve/did not report list. It certainly wasn't done hastily, and for them to finally make that move I would think that it means a whole lot.

There's also the fact that they gave his jersey number away too, a move that wasn't made until within the last 48 hrs.

I think they may have had some hope throughout TC, but that hope has now turned into a different reality.

Tennart was nothing more than strictly a center anyway, but I would expect them to maybe look into picking him up again a little down the road. I honestly don't think the 2 situations are related, but I hope you're right and appreciate your optimism ;)

Personally, I've basically closed the door on Waters coming back. The only thing that still bugs me is this: Why didn't BB think of signing any additional O-linemen? Sure one could argue that he just assumed Waters could come back, but it seems extremely uncharacteristic of him to bank on one player being there without a plan B. Was it because there was a lack of good O-linemen to sign? If that's the case than couldn't he have looked for the best option available. I'm not quite knowledgeable about all this, so perhaps someone can clue me in on whether or not any good o-linemen were available. Anyway, in regards to the O-line, the Pats have their work cut out for them. I'm certainly not buying all this BS that every good D-line in the league will be sacking Brady 9000 times a game and tearing up both his ACL's, but Vollmer's back, Mankins coming off a torn ACL, along with the inexperience of Solder, isn't helping me sleep well at night. The best case scenario is this IMO, Mankins return is as smooth as Welker's was during the 2010 season, Vollmer stays relatively healthy (plays at least 10-11 games), and Solder settles into the LT position. I'm sure that by the end of the regular season, the O-line will be decent. But what worries me is that by that point, TB might have some nagging injuries to deal with that affect him during the playoffs and doom us.

I believe that Gallery was the Plan B insurance for Waters or Mankins remaining injured. Plan B failed. Plan C appears to be Thomas.

Plan A is always the best. How much worse Plan C is...we'll find out.

Plan D might be a OG off waivers but with so many poor OLs this season, it's unlikely.

Time to update the thread title on the Waters saga. The name plate has been removed per multiple tweeting media.

Brian Waters is done. (speculation)

Just heard on Mut & Merloni that his nameplate has been removed from the locker. Deion Branch's nameplate remains.

Couldnt find the Waters thread. Merge if you like, thanks.

Time to update the thread title on the Waters saga. The name plate has been removed per multiple tweeting media.

Yep. I just posted a thread on this. please merge my thread Mods, thanks. I think its sealed

Re: Brian Waters is done. (speculation)

To me the only question is why has he not announced his retirement.

More so then a nameplate or speculation from WEEI when the guy didnt show up by the start of the season I pretty much decided he was done as did most so I dont know why a few days later the name plate being removed matters. Its presance at one point was an unjust sign of hope he would return but clearly he didnt got to take it down at some point.

The only facts we know are that Waters is not here and he has yet to submit retirement papers or announce that he intends to. I conclude that some non-retirement option or consideration thereof is in play. Given what little we've read about him in the past which indicates a desire to remain close to home, it's likely that he's asked the Pats for a release or a trade to a Texas team. As others have noted, BB is probably not enthused about trading him to a regular season and likely playoff opponent so it remains a stalemate. Maybe neither Dallas nor Houston is willing to even fork over a late round pick figuring they'll get him for free once the Pats release him. But there is no need for the Pats to act precipitously and release him.

Another possibility is that they're at odds over a requested increase in $ but I see that as unlikely because the Pats have cap room and rarely show unwillingness to use available cap $ to attempt a fix of a problem.

In Telecom engineering terms, this is referred to as a "glare" condition. Both ends have done what they do and remain static awaiting the other end to respond differently, but with no external impetus, they hang.

Last edited:
Can they just say Waters isn't coming back to end all speculation?

The only facts we know are that Waters is not here and he has yet to submit retirement papers or announce that he intends to. I conclude that some non-retirement option or consideration thereof is in play. Given what little we've read about him in the past which indicates a desire to remain close to home, it's likely that he's asked the Pats for a release or a trade to a Texas team. As others have noted, BB is probably not enthused about trading him to a regular season and likely playoff opponent so it remains a stalemate. Maybe neither Dallas nor Houston is willing to even fork over a late round pick figuring they'll get him for free once the Pats release him. But there is no need for the Pats to act precipitously and release him.

Another possibility is that they're at odds over a requested increase in $ but I see that as unlikely because the Pats have cap room and rarely show unwillingness to use available cap $ to attempt a fix of a problem.

I know where your coming from with his not filing leaving someting up in the air. But if he were truly trying to force a trade or release he would be better served reporting as he would then take up a roster spot. It would seem more then a little unproffesional to report and demad a trade but bottom line is so long as he is on the DNR the Pats are not hurt by his not reporting to be traded any more then an actual retirement.

I could be the case that they both agree and the Pats are trying to move him but where are the rumors of such and it wouldnt seem that tricky of a trade. To me it would except whatever is offered from whoever is offering it not that is not a conference competitor.

The only non retirement option on the table is they'll sit on him until he does, and most players don't for a couple of years, because he put them in an uncomfortable position. We can't know on what level they discussed the upcoming season, but I guarantee you if he told them up front whether he played or not it would not be on the east coast they'd have focused more attention on a viable plan to move on.

Can they just say Waters isn't coming back to end all speculation?

Why?

Should the Patriots concerned about external speculation? When have they ever been?

In Telecom engineering terms, this is referred to as a "glare" condition. Both ends have done what they do and remain static awaiting the other end to respond differently, but with no external impetus, they hang.

DisabilityGlare.jpg

What I find curious and perhaps unconscionable, is that NEITHER side has the courtesy to tell the anxious public WTF is going on. If Waters wants a to force a trade to stay closer to home, FINE!. Just let us know. If he he wants more money. FINE! Just let us know. If he only wants to play around 10 games this season, then F....well you get the idea.

I really think at this stage of the game that its incumbent on someone who knows what's going on will bother to tell the very curious fans of this team what we should expect. Its the nothingness that ticks me off. It just seems so unnecessary to leave us with nothing but baseless speculation. What's the harm in letting us know

Come on Ken - the very fact that you are having to speculate means you don't know what the hell is going on (the same as all of us).

This means (just like the rest of us) you have no idea about the possible ramifications of one side going public with the inside scoop.

Its an odd situation for sure but I trust the Patriots are doing their very best for the franchise (and by extension the fans).

What I find curious and perhaps unconscionable, is that NEITHER side has the courtesy to tell the anxious public WTF is going on. If Waters wants a to force a trade to stay closer to home, FINE!. Just let us know. If he he wants more money. FINE! Just let us know. If he only wants to play around 10 games this season, then F....well you get the idea.

I really think at this stage of the game that its incumbent on someone who knows what's going on will bother to tell the very curious fans of this team what we should expect. Its the nothingness that ticks me off. It just seems so unnecessary to leave us with nothing but baseless speculation. What's the harm in letting us know

That closed lip policy does get pretty annoying sometimes depending on the circumstances. The time where it most pissed me off was in 2008 when Brady went down and we got no updates on it until halftime of the Sunday night game.

Enjoy your retirement, Mr. Waters.

"Hello, Jerry Jones! Let's make a deal!"

Regards,

Monty Hall

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes