PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Was anyone else thinking about Rosen at 10?

Status
Not open for further replies.

convertedpatsfan

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
With the Raiders on the clock at 10 and not needing a QB, it felt like Rosen might drop to the Dolphins at 11.

I was really hoping we traded up to 10 to get Rosen. He's the best passer in the draft in my book, and I couldn't believe he was still there. I wouldn't have considered a move for Allen or Mayfield, but Rosen felt like incredible value at that spot.

It also might not have been that expensive. The Raiders didn't seem to take too much more for a potential QB. The Cardinals gave up a third and fifth in addition to the 15th overall pick. In terms of the draft value chart, that was 1,275 points while the 10th pick is valued at 1,300 points.

So the Raiders weren't exactly trying to get a pound of flesh for that pick, especially knowing Rosen was available. Consider the previous draft when Mahomes was still on the board. Again, a team moved up to 10th to get him. This time, the Chiefs had to come from further back (27th overall), but gave up a 3rd and a future 1st, which ended up being around 1,596 points.

Based on the above, it feels like we could have given up our 2 firsts this year and nothing more and gotten our franchise QB for the next 10 years.

Pick 23 = 760 points
Pick 31 = 600 points
Total = 1,360 points

The Raiders had targeted Kolton Miller so it felt like a bit of an overdraft at that point. The flipside is they would have risked losing him by trading back to 23 since the centers went in the 20s, but they could have moved back up.

I like Wynn and Michel, but it would have been incredible to somehow get Rosen without mortgaging the future. At least 1/4 of division rival fans would have quit following football altogether knowing the Patriots just got the best QB of the draft to dominate the division for another decade.

I was wondering if they were going to trade up. They must not have liked Rosen that much. Considering the news that leaked afterward, it would appear as if they liked Mayfield. It would have been interesting to see if Rosen was picked in the top 5 and Mayfield fell to that range, if they would have done it.

With the Raiders on the clock at 10 and not needing a QB, it felt like Rosen might drop to the Dolphins at 11.

I was really hoping we traded up to 10 to get Rosen. He's the best passer in the draft in my book, and I couldn't believe he was still there. I wouldn't have considered a move for Allen or Mayfield, but Rosen felt like incredible value at that spot.

It also might not have been that expensive. The Raiders didn't seem to take too much more for a potential QB. The Cardinals gave up a third and fifth in addition to the 15th overall pick. In terms of the draft value chart, that was 1,275 points while the 10th pick is valued at 1,300 points.

So the Raiders weren't exactly trying to get a pound of flesh for that pick, especially knowing Rosen was available. Consider the previous draft when Mahomes was still on the board. Again, a team moved up to 10th to get him. This time, the Chiefs had to come from further back (27th overall), but gave up a 3rd and a future 1st, which ended up being around 1,596 points.

Based on the above, it feels like we could have given up our 2 firsts this year and nothing more and gotten our franchise QB for the next 10 years.

Pick 23 = 760 points
Pick 31 = 600 points
Total = 1,360 points

The Raiders had targeted Kolton Miller so it felt like a bit of an overdraft at that point. The flipside is they would have risked losing him by trading back to 23 since the centers went in the 20s, but they could have moved back up.

I like Wynn and Michel, but it would have been incredible to somehow get Rosen without mortgaging the future. At least 1/4 of division rival fans would have quit following football altogether knowing the Patriots just got the best QB of the draft to dominate the division for another decade.

I really feel he will do well in Arizona but isn't their OL crappy?

I was wondering if they were going to trade up. They must not have liked Rosen that much. Considering the news that leaked afterward, it would appear as if they liked Mayfield. It would have been interesting to see if Rosen was picked in the top 5 and Mayfield fell to that range, if they would have done it.

Mayfield>Rosen

Rosen already wears a knee brace. Busted his shoulder all up and has a history of concussions.

He looks frail and I don't think he will be durable.

Rosen has an entitled attitude - he has talent, but I think will be wasted.
Call me soft, but, I thought it was pretty immature for him to say “three mistakes” were picked before him in reference to the other quarterbacks. It’s good to be a competitor and all, but that just came off as being a whiny dink.

Rosen has an entitled attitude - he has talent, but I think will be wasted.
He’s got that Aaron Rodgers arrogance to him. Which could be good or bad depending on his performance.

Pick 23 = 760 points
Pick 31 = 600 points
Total = 1,360 points

No. Our other needs were far more important than qbs to sit on the bench for 3-4 years.

I personally believe that the Pats were really into Mayfield for months but him inexplicably shooting up the draft board, going from a projected mid to late 1st rd pick to number 1 overall over the last week, screwed up all of their plans.

I personally believe that the Pats were really into Mayfield for months but him inexplicably shooting up the draft board, going from a projected mid to late 1st rd pick to number 1 overall over the last week, screwed up all of their plans.

They had a meeting with Mayfield the week before the draft that wasn't reported until yesterday, so it appears as if this suspicion might be right.

They had a meeting with Mayfield the week before the draft that wasn't reported until yesterday, so it appears as if this suspicion might be right.

Maybe. They also had Lamar Jackson in and passed on him twice, and have had numerous QBs in over the past few years.

They also brought in Kevin Hogan, Keenan Reynolds, and Jake Rudock in 2016 and ended up selecting Jacoby Brissett, whom they had no direct contact with, but had an inside connection with Parcells.

It felt like Mayfield might be the guy to slip though. Was shocked to see him go first overall.

No. Our other needs were far more important than qbs to sit on the bench for 3-4 years.

I agree, we have a lot of needs. But did we really address them with those two picks?

We have Waddle and Garia and traded a 3rd for Brown, so is Wynn going to be a huge upgrade over those 3? And Michel is explosive, but we now have 6 RBs and I think we had bigger holes elsewhere.

If we had gone LB/DE, then I could understand the argument of addressing bigger needs. But these two picks didn't feel like they did. I'd rather have Rosen, Waddle and Burkhead than Hoyer, Wynn and Michel with Waddle and Burkhead behind them.

is Mayfield and Manziel related

He’s got that Aaron Rodgers arrogance to him. Which could be good or bad depending on his performance.

I don't know, it's a fine line between arrogance and confidence, and sometimes it's easy to mix up the two based on how we feel about the person.

I remember a scrawny 4th-string 6th-round rookie QB holding a pizza box under one arm proclaiming he was "the best decision this organization has ever made" to the owner.

Is he ****y? Is he confident? What's the difference? Performance I suppose. So if Rosen becomes a Pro Bowler, we'll see him as confident. If he flames out, he'll be seen as arrogant.

Why? He filled 4 of them quite nicely.

I can't imagine he thought RB and slot corner were more important needs than LB and DE. He just didn't feel this draft was good enough to fill those two areas.

I can't imagine he thought RB and slot corner were more important needs than LB and DE. He just didn't feel this draft was good enough to fill those two areas.
We lost starters at RB and CB. We are adding players at lb and de back from injury.
But regardless, we filled needs that were more important than a qb to sit for 3-4 years

You don't let needs drive your draft but your internal evaluations. If other players were clearly higher graded then you take those players. If you have "MUST HAVE" needs then this is what FA and trades are for.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST