PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Vollmer insurance

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't know, but I imagine after all that time he might be looking to see where Brady is. His back was to him for a long time. What if Brady was pushed back in the pocket? He could be pushing the defender right into him. I don't know this, but it seems as logical as him suddenly deciding he needs a nap.

So Cannon should turn around while he is blocking a defender to see if Brady is behind him instead of focusing on blocking the defender? I'm sorry I don't follow your logic. I didn't state my opinion to fight with you. To ME it looked like Cannon didn't finish a block and could have given Brady some extra time whether it be a second or 5 second we will never know. I rather not fight with you about this anymore. I respect your opinion, lets call it a day.

:popcorn2::ranger:

We have the normal poster evaluation of a player based on their perception of one play.

Cannon has been the backup for Vollmer since the day he was first active. Given Vollmer's injury history (including a continuing nagging injury), Cannon has been called upon a lot as a backup. Belichick believes that he is adequate for the job or this position would have been upgraded a couple of tears ago. Heck, there were lots of folks here who didn't want us to re-sign Vollmer (because he might be too expensive) and simply rely on Cannon.

Cannon is our RT.

And BTW, our OL problem is now where it has been all year. We don'r have a backup interior lineman. We never replaced Thomas. Svitek is a solid backup OT, and only an emergency backup OG. I understand that some think of Cannon as a starting RG. I suspect that dante disagrees now, as he has for Cannon's entire career.

Reiss/Herald say he's undergoing surgery for a broken leg. Any chance he avoids IR?

Maybe it was just a matter of Miami giving up but I thought Cannon did well. That injury looked nasty; will be shocked if he comes back this season.

I agree it was ugly. But if Volmer's leg was broken and not his knee that is a 6-8 week injury. So he could be back for the playoffs.

We have the normal poster evaluation of a player based on their perception of one play.

Cannon has been the backup for Vollmer since the day he was first active. Given Vollmer's injury history (including a continuing nagging injury), Cannon has been called upon a lot as a backup. Belichick believes that he is adequate for the job or this position would have been upgraded a couple of tears ago. Heck, there were lots of folks here who didn't want us to re-sign Vollmer (because he might be too expensive) and simply rely on Cannon.

Cannon is our RT.

And BTW, our OL problem is now where it has been all year. We don'r have a backup interior lineman. We never replaced Thomas. Svitek is a solid backup OT, and only an emergency backup OG. I understand that some think of Cannon as a starting RG. I suspect that dante disagrees now, as he has for Cannon's entire career.

Again, I didn't evaluate him for his overall performance. I never ever said that I questioned BB or any coaches decision to use him. All I said was that I hope he improved his play if you looked at my post. All I was saying I hope someone shows him that tape and he doesn't make that mistake again. I never knew this was a sore subject.

I am not calling for his execution just pointing out something I saw. Sorry for knocking the hornet nest.

fair enough

Yes, criticism of the OL is a sore subject and has been for a dozen years.

Again, I didn't evaluate him for his overall performance. I never ever said that I questioned BB or any coaches decision to use him. All I said was that I hope he improved his play if you looked at my post. All I was saying I hope someone shows him that tape and he doesn't make that mistake again. I never knew this was a sore subject.

I am not calling for his execution just pointing out something I saw. Sorry for knocking the hornet nest.

I agree it was ugly. But if Volmer's leg was broken and not his knee that is a 6-8 week injury. So he could be back for the playoffs.

I sure hope you're right.

Interesting that they lost no time in having him get to surgery on it within 24 hours, so it may be they see the clock as something to race here. Were it a definite season ender, perhaps they may have taken a few days?

Last edited:
fair enough

Yes, criticism of the OL is a sore subject and has been for a dozen years.

The Pats should have let Mankins walk - - he is way overpaid.

.....that should stir it up again. :D

Last edited:
Looked much better than he did at guard. I'd say cannon at rt is the least of their concerns right now.

When is the injury bug going to stop plaguing the Patriots? This seems never ending...Heal well Vollmer !

I wish SeaBass a speedy [and setback free] recovery.

Hopefully the team feels he can recover in time for the playoffs to warrant not placing him on IR. He's been the Patriots' most consistent O-Linemen this season and easily among the best RTs so far this year.

His loss is huge to an already shaky O-Line.

The line's 3 weak points this season have been LT/C/RG. Losing one of its two strengths is not a good thing. Cannon will have to play well, obviously, but his moving to RT weakens the interior of the line as much as the tackle spots, since he was the first off the bench as the interior sub when Cannon couldn't play.

The same Cannon who nearly had Brady killed because of his lazy incompetance?
I shudder at the thought.

Here's a list of available lineman:
Best Available NFL Free Agents - Offense | The Sideline View

I really hope that Bill doesn't merely promote one of his crappy PS bodies.

I love when you claim players are lazy and incompetent. It usually means that you haven't actually watched the player play at all and you are just talking out your rear end.

You clearly didn't watch the game yesterday and see that the RIGHT SIDE was just fine without Vollmer there.

The look on BB's face in this picture pretty much sums up how I feel about another key injury this year. :bricks: Its honestly getting a little ridiculous...

RMPmFYU.jpg

Svitek.

He's everybody's backup now, I suspect, although some cases -- e.g. Wendell -- might call for some reshuffling.

With Cannon and Connolly both versatile in terms of which particular positions they can play, we have enough OL ... until we don't.

The Pats were woefully thin at O-line prior to Vollmer going down. They don't have a legitimate back-up at center other than Connolly. They don't have a legitimate back-up at guard or tackle other than Svitek. Connolly continues to play hurt. And I am fairly certain Mankins is playing hurt.

The Pats will need to add an OT to the roster and not just on the PS. It will have to be on the 53 man.

The Pats should have let Mankins walk - - he is way overpaid.

.....that should stir it up again. :D

the cap savings are negligible up to the 2014 season. After that its possible nay probable unless they renegotiate.

Re-watch this video and look closely at Cannon.

Miami Dolphins penalized for batting fumble away - NFL Videos

What was he thinking? That screams lazy to me. I've seen him completely miss blockers and give up too soon. Hope he improves tremendously and his coaches rip him a new one for that play.

You don't stop until the whistle blows

What was he thinking looking to see where his QB was? You're right. That is such a BAD thing to do. Of course, it's not really that bad when you consider that Brady had already been tripped up by Mankins twice and Ridley once by that point. And it seemed like Brady was about to let the ball go..

Now, take into consideration that Brady should have already gotten rid of the ball by that point, can you REALLY fault Cannon for being beat by a DB? He just got beat because Brady EXTENDED the play because he didn't make a throw.

No that isn't my point. I don't think I could make my point any clearer at this point. He should not have given up on his block. He should not have just stopped and turned backwards. He was doing great up until that point. How should I make that clearer for you?

Your "point" is limited and totally ignores what Rayclay has pointed out to you. Basically, you're being willfully ignorant.

Cannon took that safety 10 yards upfield. 10 Yards. The Safety disengaged at the same time Cannon turned his head to look at Brady. So, even if Cannon wanted to stay with him, there was no way because the safety had disengaged. That disengagement automatically gives the safety the upperhand.

Furthermore, Brady should have gotten rid of the ball at that point. The norm is that O-linemen are expected to hold their blocks for 4-5 seconds. Cannon did that. Yet, Brady pulled his arm down and should have KNOWN that there would be a safety getting loose from his O-line from his backside just by the fact of his internal clock.

Brady is as much at fault on that play as Cannon. You willfully ignoring that and trying to claim that Cannon got lazy is only more ignorance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back