Status
Not open for further replies.

resdubwhite

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
So whats it to be?

Svitek to play at RT. Cannon?

any free agents out there worth a look.

Best of luck in the recovery Seabass. Heal well.

It's Cannon. He's been subbing there for years. Probably the most prepared backup we have.

Depth on Pats is being severely tested this season.

Who is Cannon's backup?

Depth on Pats is being severely tested this season.

Who is Cannon's backup?

Svitek.

He's everybody's backup now, I suspect, although some cases -- e.g. Wendell -- might call for some reshuffling.

With Cannon and Connolly both versatile in terms of which particular positions they can play, we have enough OL ... until we don't.

OT but Miami LT Brryan McKinnie is enormous.

Anybody see Jones next to him?

Maybe it was just a matter of Miami giving up but I thought Cannon did well. That injury looked nasty; will be shocked if he comes back this season.

Re-watch this video and look closely at Cannon.

Miami Dolphins penalized for batting fumble away - NFL Videos

What was he thinking? That screams lazy to me. I've seen him completely miss blockers and give up too soon. Hope he improves tremendously and his coaches rip him a new one for that play.

You don't stop until the whistle blows

What was he thinking? That screams lazy to me. I've seen him completely miss blockers and give up too soon. Hope he improves tremendously and his coaches rip him a new one for that play.

Yeah, I'm not a huge fan of Cannon at RT -- it will be a trial by fire, for sure, but he's the best shot at maintaining some semblance of continuity on the line, and I'd rather bet on Cannon eliminating plays like that than some guy coming off the street and stepping into the starting lineup.

Should be fine as long as Cannon and Solder stay mostly healthy for the rest of the year, but the depth behind them is definitely stretched pretty thin with Sea-Bass gone.

After being totally blocked for 180 degrees, a 205 lb safety finally evaded a 350 lb tackle.

If you can find a 350 lb tackle this week that is 100% more agile than a safety, I agree we should sign him before somebody else finds out.

After being totally blocked for 180 degrees, a 205 lb safety finally evaded a 350 lb tackle.

If you can find a 350 lb tackle this week that is 100% more agile than a safety, I agree we should sign him before somebody else finds out.

I am not saying to find someone else and you are totally missing the point. He didn't evade Cannon. Cannon stopped and looked back and let the defender go only to realize Brady was still in the pocket. He gave the defender free reign to demolish Brady from the back.

I'm not saying to find someone else but he needs to work on his stuff, I don't mind keeping him but he can't make that mistake again.

I am not saying to find someone else and you are totally missing the point. He didn't evade Cannon. Cannon stopped and looked back and let the defender go only to realize Brady was still in the pocket. He gave the defender free reign to demolish Brady from the back.

I'm not saying to find someone else but he needs to work on his stuff, I don't mind keeping him but he can't make that mistake again.

Cannon prevented a safety from getting directly to the QB by effectively dancing him around until he was completely in back of the quarterback. At that point, he would have needed to hold him (penalty).

What else are you proposing, besides holding him, that a 350 lb player can do with a safety he's redirected completely. It's a safety, 150 lbs lighter and tons faster.

If they were in a race it might have looked like Cannon was giving up too. On a safety blitz, if the QB holds onto the ball, unless the safety is knocked down, he eventually will have a ridiculous speed and agility advantage against a 350 lb tackle.

You're saying he "let" a 205 lb guy out run him. I think physics did that.

Cannon prevented a safety from getting directly to the QB by effectively dancing him around until he was completely in back of the quarterback. At that point, he would have needed to hold him (penalty).

What else are you proposing, besides holding him, that a 350 lb player can do with a safety he's redirected completely. It's a safety, 150 lbs lighter and tons faster.

If they were in a race it might have looked like Cannon was giving up too. On a safety blitz, if the QB holds onto the ball, unless the safety is knocked down, he eventually will have a ridiculous speed and agility advantage against a 350 lb tackle.

If you can't see in the video that Cannon literally stops, turns and looks at Brady instead of continuing the block I don't know what to say to that question. Again to each his own, I believe he gave up on that play, it's just my opinion.

If you can't see in the video that Cannon literally stops, turns and looks at Brady instead of continuing the block I don't know what to say to that question. Again to each his own, I believe he gave up on that play, it's just my opinion.

Is your point that he not only could have outrun him and got between him and Brady, even though Cannon was going backwards and the much faster safety was running near full speed?

If so, I'd forget Vollmer and sign Cannon to a 100 million dollar deal.

Forget what's in your mind and concentrate on the actual physical abilities of the two players. Cannon could have wished upon a star and probably not been able to tackle him, much less legally block him. It's a safety against a 350 lb man.

Is your point that he not only could have outrun him and got between him and Brady, even though Cannon was going backwards and the much faster safety was running near full speed?

If so, I'd forget Vollmer and sign Cannon to a 100 million dollar deal.

Forget what's in your mind and concentrate on the actual physical abilities of the two players. Cannon could have wished upon a star and probably not been able to tackle him, much less legally block him. It's a safety against a 350 lb man.

No that isn't my point. I don't think I could make my point any clearer at this point. He should not have given up on his block. He should not have just stopped and turned backwards. He was doing great up until that point. How should I make that clearer for you?

No that isn't my point. I don't think I could make my point any clearer at this point. He should not have given up on his block. He should not have just stopped and turned backwards. He was doing great up until that point. How should I make that clearer for you?

So you admit he couldn't have stopped the safety, but you're concerned how he looked. Fair enough.

So you admit he couldn't have stopped the safety, but you're concerned how he looked. Fair enough.

Unfortunately I don't have future telling abilities. I don't know whether if he stuck with the block he could have bought a little more time. All I was getting at was I wish he didn't give up right away.

Cannon probably could've held the block longer, but the internal clock by Brady apparently went on snooze that play too. At some point Brady has to release the football and the OL gave him plenty of time to do so.

Overall I thought Cannon had a fine game. With good rushers like Wake, Misi and Odrick to face, he really held up well. Plenty of good tests ahead of him though - I am sure Woodley will move to the right side of the OL a bunch next week to test Cannon rather than get swallowed alive by Solder all day.

Unfortunately I don't have future telling abilities. I don't know whether if he stuck with the block he could have bought a little more time. All I was getting at was I wish he didn't give up right away.

I don't know, but I imagine after all that time he might be looking to see where Brady is. His back was to him for a long time. What if Brady was pushed back in the pocket? He could be pushing the defender right into him. I don't know this, but it seems as logical as him suddenly deciding he needs a nap.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes