PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Vince Wilfork on twitter

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think the general population has an understanding of symptoms related with brain related diseases or injuries.

It's hard to draw a line between "he should have known better" and "he's so punch drunk and brain damaged that he can't control himself at times".

How do you judge? How do you know what is character and what is brain damage?

He apologized though and Wilfork being a man will probably accept it graciously.

It's hard to draw a line between "he should have known better" and "he's so punch drunk and brain damaged that he can't control himself at times".

How do you judge? How do you know what is character and what is brain damage?

He apologized though and Wilfork being a man will probably accept it graciously.

If he's so punch drunk that he can't control himself at times then it's his responsibility not to go on live TV or radio.

If he's so punch drunk that he can't control himself at times then it's his responsibility not to go on live TV or radio.

Sure- - 'it's the responsibility of the person with an impaired mind to not go on radio or on TV'. The producer of the show who is (supposedly) not impaired has absolutely zero responsibility.????????

So you want someone who (in your words) is "punch drunk" to control himself and his mental impulses.

No sane person would state that it is the brain injured person's responsibility to make informed decisions.

Are you doing a comedy act?

Last edited:
Sure, cognitive impairment could never have anything to do with someone's judgement in a situation.

Brilliant post.

God Bless the internet.

First - Cognitive impairment? Ted Johnson did not show cognitive impairment in this situation. He was asked to identify the least attractive wife of a player he could think of and he went ahead and identified a non-trophy wife. That shows some cognitive ability, not impairment.

Lack of social skills? Certainly. And could that be caused by his symptoms? Possibly, though I would think cognition would go with it. And for a guy who is on the radio and TV a lot more than you seem to realize, I highly doubt this would've been his first faux-pas if his degeneration caused this incident.

Having seen family members deal with degenerative diseases (Alzheimer's and Parkinson's), it's hard for me to accept that someone with the level of cognition Ted Johnson displays on his radio show and on his 98.5 and CSNNE bits, is currently impaired to the point where it is the cause of such a severe mistake.

Second, when did you stop being civil?

Sure, cognitive impairment could never have anything to do with someone's judgement in a situation.

Brilliant post.

God Bless the internet.

If that's the case, I sure hope he isn't driving a car on public roadways.

Let me be clear that when I use the term "ignorance" I'm using it as defined in the base language, not the popular rendition which has turned it into an insult.

I also take note of the distinction being made here by many posters of the difference between a person's neurology and their character. The only thing separating our understanding of "character" and brain science is that we don't fully understand the brain yet. That which we call "character" is simply a certain mixture of brain chemicals and neural pathways. Its entirely explainable with full brain mapping. We are just too ignorant to fully get it at this point.

A trauma to the brain will change what is commonly called "character."

I also take note of the distinction being made here by many posters of the difference between a person's neurology and their character. The only thing separating our understanding of "character" and brain science is that we don't fully understand the brain yet. That which we call "character" is simply a certain mixture of brain chemicals and neural pathways. Its entirely explainable with full brain mapping. We are just too ignorant to fully get it at this point.

I agree fully with this point, I'll give you that what we call character is just an extension of neurology - and is therefore just as tangible as cognition - well, once we know enough about it that is.

However, we've probably all seen degenerative diseases at work with friends or family, and ask yourself if cognition or [what we'd call] character went first?

Besides, the guy does a lot of radio & TV. Has he said something showing such lack of social awareness before? Not that we know of. So, it's hard to believe this is a sign of the degeneration of his social skills.

Let me be clear that when I use the term "ignorance" I'm using it as defined in the base language, not the popular rendition which has turned it into an insult.

A trauma to the brain will change what is commonly called "character."

Thank you.

Alot of posters here need to learn that, yes, brain trauma can cause change in personality and character. Some of these posters do not understand basic Human Biology. We are not talking about a leg injury here.

It is an injury to the brain, of all places. Why wouldn't there be a greater incidence for change in personality?

Junior Seau and many others were far different people after their injuries than before.

Alot of posters here need to learn that, yes, brain trauma can cause change in personality and character. Some of these posters do not understand basic Human Biology.

You're showing a great deal of arrogance in a thread where you've now relied on another poster to make your point much more articulately.

And both of you have still completely failed to connect your points to what happened here today in any strong manner. Yes, brain trauma can cause a change in behavior. But does that mean it caused Ted Johnson's faux pas today? No. The guy is on the radio and TV all the time and there has been no sign of his trauma affecting his social skills.

However, we've probably all seen degenerative diseases at work with friends or family, and ask yourself if cognition or [what we'd call] character went first?

Besides, the guy does a lot of radio & TV. Has he said something showing such lack of social awareness before? Not that we know of. So, it's hard to believe this is a sign of the degeneration of his social skills.

1) "However, we've probably all seen degenerative diseases at work with friends or family, and ask yourself if cognition or [what we'd call] character went first?"

"Degenerative diseases" like lung cancer or heart disease??? Or BRAIN degenerative diseases? There is a difference when it comes to cognition.

2) "Has he said something showing such lack of social awareness before? Not that we know of."

Not that YOU know of:

'I don't want anyone to end up like me' - The Boston Globe

"......It has all unraveled; his career, his marriage, his health, his reputation....... But now he is a struggling ex-athlete who has become unreliable and unreachable -- making promises and commitments he does not keep -- the subject of steamy tabloid gossip, shunned for an alleged domestic abuse incident involving his wife.........Last spring, Ted Johnson, who missed football and his teammates, was invited to play in a Patriots charity golf tournament. He happily accepted, and agreed to emcee the program that would follow.On the day of the event, Johnson was a no-show. Repeated phone calls to his home and his cellphone went unanswered.Only later did the team learn what happened. It was one of those dark, dark days when Ted Johnson simply could not drag himself out of bed....."

The man has been very ill for 7 years. He has a degenrative condition.

What more do you need to know, because you are making statements from a place of no knowledge.

I agree fully with this point, I'll give you that what we call character is just an extension of neurology - and is therefore just as tangible as cognition - well, once we know enough about it that is.

That's fair. However, due to personal experiences where I saw the changes in behavior in a friend who was in a severe car accident and in my grandmother who suffers from brain cancer, I just can't rule this case out as a case of douchebaggery.

Reminds me of something dumb I did many years ago when I was a freshman in college. Someone asked me what I thought about Helen Morton, one of
my high school classmates? I replied, yuk. He replied, you S.O.B., that's
my girlfriend.

You're showing a great deal of arrogance in a thread where you've now relied on another poster to make your point much more articulately.

And both of you have still completely failed to connect your points to what happened here today in any strong manner. Yes, brain trauma can cause a change in behavior. But does that mean it caused Ted Johnson's faux pas today? No. The guy is on the radio and TV all the time and there has been no sign of his trauma affecting his social skills.

The man lost his wife, several jobs, his friends and his dignity to this medical condition. It has been reported for years in the Boston media, and here's another one for you from a magazine in Denver:

This is Ted Johnson's Brain | 5280

It is a BRAIN injury, not a knee injury.

It is regrettable that some people, who know nothing of the subject, keep posting that someone with a brain injury, the extent Johnson has, should somehow be expected to exhibit perfect judgement. The fact that there are cold blooded media outlets that want to throw a microphone in front of him for ratings and then when he says something wrong they RACE to put the audio of it up on their website is a sad commentary. That radio station should never have posted that on their website after it occurred.

His story is a tragedy and I'm sad that it will not end well.

What do you think the fallout from something like this does to a person like Ted Johnson????

Last edited:
1) "However, we've probably all seen degenerative diseases at work with friends or family, and ask yourself if cognition or [what we'd call] character went first?"

"Degenerative diseases" like lung cancer or heart disease??? Or BRAIN degenerative diseases? There is a difference when it comes to cognition.

2) "Has he said something showing such lack of social awareness before? Not that we know of."

Not that YOU know of:

"......It has all unraveled; his career, his marriage, his health, his reputation....... But now he is a struggling ex-athlete who has become unreliable and unreachable -- making promises and commitments he does not keep -- the subject of steamy tabloid gossip, shunned for an alleged domestic abuse incident involving his wife.........Last spring, Ted Johnson, who missed football and his teammates, was invited to play in a Patriots charity golf tournament. He happily accepted, and agreed to emcee the program that would follow.On the day of the event, Johnson was a no-show. Repeated phone calls to his home and his cellphone went unanswered.Only later did the team learn what happened. It was one of those dark, dark days when Ted Johnson simply could not drag himself out of bed....."

What more do you need to know, because you are making statements from a place of no knowledge.

I understand your point and but disagree that I or many of the posters who have been critical of his actions have no knowledge or that the strong condemnation is not warranted in these circumstances. TJ's post statement apology shows that he still has the capacity to undertstand how innapropriate and simply mean it was to make these statements on the radio. TJ chose to pursue a post football carreer in broadcasting and there are standards anyone in that position should comply with. In the end it is for the Wilforks to decide whether to forgive TJ, but if he can not figure out that he should not say such things, than he needs to find another job, by his choice or not.

I understand your point and but disagree that I or many of the posters who have been critical of his actions have no knowledge or that the strong condemnation is not warranted in these circumstances. TJ's post statement apology shows that he still has the capacity to undertstand how innapropriate and simply mean it was to make these statements on the radio. TJ chose to pursue a post football carreer in broadcasting and there are standards anyone in that position should comply with. In the end it is for the Wilforks to decide whether to forgive TJ, but if he can not figure out that he should not say such things, than he needs to find another job, by his choice or not.

I fully agree.

Hopefully someone pulls the mike away from him, but it probably won't be his decision. The apology does show that it wasn't his intention to say what he said on live radio. He was unable to "gatekeeper" that. This is a common occurrence with many stroke victims.

What he said was reprehensible, there is no debate about that. Why he said it is the question. I wouldn't automatically jump on him for this - - this man has had a tragic break in life. His brain makes him say things and do things he does not want. There have been several instances outlined in those reports linked above.

I sincerely hope he can deal with the fallout from this.

Last edited:
The fact that there are cold blooded media outlets that want to throw a microphone in front of him for ratings and then when he says something wrong they RACE to put the audio of it up on their website is a sad commentary. That radio station should never have posted that on their website after it occurred.

His story is a tragedy and I'm sad that it will not end well.

What do you think the fallout from something like this does to a person like Ted Johnson????

Shmessy, I read the article at the time it came out, and I'm well aware of his situation.

As I said above, I am sorry for him. As is everyone here.

However, there is still no link between what he said today and the symptoms he is having. I've said it's a possibility, but there's just no evidence for it. Certainly not to the extent that you should feel free to insult my intelligence over it.

You have made no such link. It's likely that if Ted Johnson were not a former New England Patriot player, you would not be bothering with this argument.

Are you even open to the possibility that his comments on Vince's wife were not influenced by his brain trauma? Does saying "he won't hear this" right before Vince Wilfork's name make you question your argument?

Can we agree that the caller who asked the question and the fellow radio host who egged him on were being A-Holes?

Not that YOU know of:

Again, your example has nothing to do with the incident here.

And yes, degenerative brain diseases - I said Parkinson's and Alzheimer's.

Status
Not open for further replies.

So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
Back