PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Vince Wilfork on twitter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can we agree that the caller who asked the question and the fellow radio host who egged him on were being A-Holes?

Most definitely.

As I wrote in one of my other posts, if anyone is a true "bad guy' in this it is the DJ's and the radio station who egged him on and guffawed. Then, afterwards, they raced to uplink the audio on their website for the clicks.

There are people like that in the world - -I'm sure their families are very proud of them.

Most definitely.

As I wrote in one of my other posts, if anyone is a true "bad guy' in this it is the DJ's and the radio station who egged him on and guffawed. Then, afterwards, they raced to uplink the audio on their website for the clicks.

Agreed - and I suppose my ire should be better directed at the other two on the clip, therefore I'll leave my involvement in this debate at that.

Lots of folks here who apparently stayed in a Holiday Inn, so I guess I'll just tag along.

I think everyone would agree that you're not a jerk for things you do involuntarily. Being "douchy" or any of the other adjectives ascribed to Johnson in this thread all depend on the assumption that the mechanisms he has in his brain work like everyone else's.

Nobody on this board knows the answer to that question. The reality is that loss of impulse control is a very common effect of brain trauma or closed head injuries. Impulse control is the thing that keeps all of us from being douchy all the time. If Johnson's impulse control is impaired, he is not douchy. He's sick. So, the guy may be suffering not only from head trauma but, correspondingly, by the even worse indignity of having his illness cause him to do things he needs to apologize later for.

He may be a douche. Maybe his impulse control isn't compromised. For me, the fact that he called the spouse of a man who could crush him with one hand ugly is pretty good evidence. At least, the possibility should be entertained.

Now, you can call a guy who knows he has impulse control problems reckless for agreeing to go on a radio show. I'll buy that. And maybe you can criticize him for thinking Vince's wife is ugly. It seems very likely he does. But many people have unattractive thoughts. Most of us are lucky that we have the ability to keep them to ourselves.

Must be a boring news day ... 123 posts about something that is none of anyone's business. Johnson made a mistake ... his character should not be defined by this comment and I'm sure the concerned parties will have an adult discussion that does not include bored fans.

This was VERY cool for Vince to post, both classy and kickass at the same time.

BTW- its only a matter of time before we get the TJ "letter of apology"/"Taken out of context" reply. "His people" are probably typing it up as we post.

Not sure Ted has 'people' at this point, sometimes it is better to just shut up than hurt other people feelings unnecessarily.

Not sure the brain is functioning correctly at this point.

Seriously...
ANYONE giving Ted Johnson a pass because of his concussion history is way off base!
Clearly he wanted to be entertaining and humorous by answering a stupid question on a sports radio show.
What a f*%king moron.
You just KNOW that someday, somewhere Vince and Ted will meet for an excellent adventure!

pats2_zpse56e4c55.jpg

Seriously...
ANYONE giving Ted Johnson a pass because of his concussion history is way off base!
Clearly he wanted to be entertaining and humorous by answering a stupid question on a sports radio show.
What a f*%king moron.
You just KNOW that someday, somewhere Vince and Ted will meet for an excellent adventure!

pats2_zpse56e4c55.jpg

Why are they off base? Poor judgement, impulsiveness and general lack of control are tied to brain injries, which he has.

It's like blaming an old person with Alzheimers for being a jerk with his loved ones...how much is him and how much is Alzheimers? Since your brain is your personality, of course a brain disease changes your personality.

Then you come along "I'm not buying dat! Alzheimers, huh? Well he didn't have to be a jerk!". Thanks for your brilliant input.

Why are they off base? Poor judgement, impulsiveness and general lack of control are tied to brain injries, which he has.

It's like blaming an old person with Alzheimers for being a jerk with his loved ones...how much is him and how much is Alzheimers? Since your brain is your personality, of course a brain disease changes your personality.

Then you come along "I'm not buying dat! Alzheimers, huh? Well he didn't have to be a jerk!". Thanks for your brilliant input.

How often do people with Alzheimers get on the radio? Never...its because they have Alzheimers...If Ted J. is so bad and so inept, he can't discern right from wrong, then why is he on the radio? Why isn't someone in charge of him?

Just because people have a disability doesn't mean mean everyone that has a disability can't discern right from wrong, I should know I have TBI...I know right from wrong...

He made a mistake we all do, he apologized,so he knows what's right and what's wrong, he doesn't need you or anyone making excuses for him...or his actions. Now if he was really bad, like so bad he couldn't discern right from wrong, then yes it wouldn't be his fault...

How often do people with Alzheimers get on the radio? Never...its because they have Alzheimers...If Ted J. is so bad and so inept, he can't discern right from wrong, then why is he on the radio? Why isn't someone in charge of him?

Just because people have a disability doesn't mean mean everyone that has a disability can't discern right from wrong, I should know I have TBI...I know right from wrong...

He made a mistake we all do, he apologized,so he knows what's right and what's wrong, he doesn't need you or anyone making excuses for him...or his actions. Now if he was really bad, like so bad he couldn't discern right from wrong, then yes it wouldn't be his fault...

There are degrees of Alzheimers, just like degrees of TBI. A person with Alzheimers can function relatively well, some of the time.

If you have TBI, then how are you postingon a message board, huh? Why aren't you completely disabled or dead like so many other cases?

Knowing right from wrong isn't the same as having a filter to control impulsiveness. A 10 year old knows right from wrong, but they do stupid things all the time. Too many concussions has a similar effect on impulse control.

I'm not making excuses for him, just stating facts. Your "TBI" doesn't make you an expert on anything. Bumping your head once or twice isn't the same as what Johnson has gone through.

what he said :rocker:

Wow, what a complete douche thing to say. Head injury or no, TJ is not some drooling idiot at this point, and has a platform from which to spout from. it was just plain ole human stupidity that caused that statement, plain and simple.

There are degrees of Alzheimers, just like degrees of TBI. A person with Alzheimers can function relatively well, some of the time.

If you have TBI, then how are you postingon a message board, huh? Why aren't you completely disabled or dead like so many other cases?

Knowing right from wrong isn't the same as having a filter to control impulsiveness. A 10 year old knows right from wrong, but they do stupid things all the time. Too many concussions has a similar effect on impulse control.

I'm not making excuses for him, just stating facts. Your "TBI" doesn't make you an expert on anything. Bumping your head once or twice isn't the same as what Johnson has gone through.

lol...oh the internet:rolleyes:

Bump on the head? Try 27,000 volts of of electricity for a prolonged period of time when I was 11 years old....I would take a concussion any day of the week!;)

I'm very lucky to be alive and even more so I'm thankful I function at a high level still, still have ringing in the ears 24/7, headaches, memory loss but I have a system and it works for me....

Your right, I'm no expert and I never said I was but from what we know of Johnson and what he does, he seems pretty high functioning. I could be wrong but so could you....

PUH-LEEZE.
You can believe whatever you want.
Make excuses to the moon for TJ if that suits you.

The truth is, he is well in control of his comments, and at this point he is much more interested in being a celebrity sports commentator with his own radio show with callers who want to know what he thinks about issues of the sports day.
Excuses are like...well I'm quite sure YOU know the rest.

Your right, I'm no expert and I never said I was but from what we know of Johnson and what he does, he seems pretty high functioning. I could be wrong but so could you....

You mean from what YOU know about Ted Johnson. Evidently, you didn't read the articles that have already been linked in this thread.

He had had severe issues for 7 years, lost his family, his job with WBZ, and at the ripe old age of 40 is diagnosed with the early symptoms of Alzheimers.

Yeah he can still tie his shoes and speak clearly. From that, you think he seems pretty high functioning and expect him to exhibit good judgement.

I will err on the side of compassion for a man who has endured a tragedy to his brain and has exhibited many lapses in judgement and the ability to do some of the things in life we take for granted ever since.

Once this occurred, he apologized several times and profusely. He is probably beating himself up about this in ways mosts of us cannot imagine.

So, go ahead and condemn him.

Last edited:
Must be a boring news day ... 123 posts about something that is none of anyone's business. Johnson made a mistake ... his character should not be defined by this comment and I'm sure the concerned parties will have an adult discussion that does not include bored fans.

Amen to adding a grain of sand perspective to a beach-full of hyper reaction. On most sports/talk radio, if you want to get ratings, you let the coarseness and controversy fly. TJ was doing what he is supposed to do yet ended up way out of line to go after a fellow NFLer's family. He should know better, he does know better, but was, likely, caught up in the moment of the act that talk radio encourages and serves up. I don't know what he said afterwards but hopefully he came out quickly and forcefully with an apology.

As far as Vince? I hate to break the news to everyone but he isn't taking out his brass knuckles or out stalking TJ. He appropriately stood up for his wife publicly and, likely, the issue is entirely dead at the Wilfork house in contrast to on this board.

As far as posters outraged on this board, is it because TJ is a former player? Would it be ok if it was just some non player, knucklehead radio show host? Is it more acceptable, to some degree, if it is just a poster(s) here? Or is the outrage because Vince is a beloved Patriot? Would there be the same outrage if he would have gone after Peyton Manning's wife/family? What about James Harrison's wife/family? What if he went after Rex Ryan's wife????? Would everyone feel outraged if the family of a Patriot nemesis was gone after in a mean and derogatory way?

I love Vince and think Ted Johnson was wrong, but Vince made this a bigger story than it should have ever been. Like I said TJ was wrong, he messed up but apologized. Obviously its Vince choice to except/deny the apology, but he takes it to twitter? I dunno kinda sounds like cyber bullying to me. All that did was make this a story and get dumbass fans like the guy who runs m******* sports riled up. All this could have been dealt with privately.

One thing that struck me from that article is what Troy's wife said...

"Taking all the hits — is your mind going to be right? It's not what people think it is. They can think it's wonderful and glamorous, but we don't think like that."

This was in 2005 - player's wives were already well aware that there were dangers due to the concussions it seems.

I love Vince and think Ted Johnson was wrong, but Vince made this a bigger story than it should have ever been. Like I said TJ was wrong, he messed up but apologized. Obviously its Vince choice to except/deny the apology, but he takes it to twitter? I dunno kinda sounds like cyber bullying to me. All that did was make this a story and get dumbass fans like the guy who runs m******* sports riled up. All this could have been dealt with privately.

You're right, but I can't blame Vince for his reply. The guy insulted the mother of his children who has been with him since they were both poor college students with a young child. He obviously loves Bianca and sees her differently than Ted. All this does is make me feel even more sympathy for Ted Johnson knowing what he is going through with the brain damage he has suffered. At this point, Vince should allow Ted a chance to speak to him privately and then let it end there.

I wonder how many people using a brain injury as an excuse for Johnson for taking a shot at a teammate's wife actually paid attention to the clip. Because he didn't just blurt out an answer. The question was asked. He laughed. He said that he knew who it was. He referred to Vince as a big guy. He said some more stuff for yuks. Then he answered. And then he said that Vince would never hear it.

35 seconds from the time the question was finished until his answer, and everything in between was preamble to what he already knew he was going to say.

The "poor impulse control due to brain injury" argument is absurd.

Does he have brain injuries? Absolutely. Did those contribute to this particular incident? Please. Sometimes a douchebag is just a douchebag.

Also, it looks like his brain still functions well enough to both apologize on Twitter and then delete his account.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3