PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Vet QB Options

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fielder makes the most sense IMO -

I'm pretty confident that Cassell could step up to the next level if, God forbid, need be... so it just seems as though strategically speaking you take a the QB with the most divisional knowledge and experience so that even if he never steps on the field, you've added that institutional knowledge to your team.

JoeSixPat said:
Fielder makes the most sense IMO -

I'm pretty confident that Cassell could step up to the next level if, God forbid, need be... so it just seems as though strategically speaking you take a the QB with the most divisional knowledge and experience so that even if he never steps on the field, you've added that institutional knowledge to your team.

That's a great point. Unfortunately, the Dolphins under Saban are vastly different that the Dolphins under Wannestadt, when he played there. Likewise, the Jets now are likely to be different than Hermie's Jets.

dryheat44 said:
That's a great point. Unfortunately, the Dolphins under Saban are vastly different that the Dolphins under Wannestadt, when he played there. Likewise, the Jets now are likely to be different than Hermie's Jets.

Of course you're right, but much of the personnel is still there - and Fielder definately has knowledge of their abilities and tendencies of many of the guys on the Fins, and other AFC East Defenses, as well as the perspective of a QB/Offesne going up against the Patriots.

Relatively few backups out there are deemed starting caliber QBs - if they were they'd be starting. But I think what many coaches look for is a QB who is smart, has leadership ability, and can be calm and cool in a tough game situation.

Fielder has all that and also brings the other elements I discussed. Rookies meanwhile haven't picked up all of those intangibles but do have more potential to be starters.

Why would the Pats sign Bramlett to a three year contract. I know NFL contracts aren't guaranteed, but why 3 years????
While I do not think it means much in terms of whether or not he makes the team, I just think it's odd that BB sign an undrafted guy to a three year deal.

Kerry might be the best pick up

Ochmed Jones said:
Why would the Pats sign Bramlett to a three year contract. I know NFL contracts aren't guaranteed, but why 3 years????
While I do not think it means much in terms of whether or not he makes the team, I just think it's odd that BB sign an undrafted guy to a three year deal.

As far as I can tell the length of a UDFA contract is largely a function of the size of the signing bonus. (Bramlet's deal suggests that his claim that other teams were interested is legit.) Prorating even modest UDFA signing bonuses can be significant because they count against the rookie cap, which is much tighter than the overall salary cap this year.

Ochmed Jones said:

I suppose it means that this guy has a legitimate chance to make the team - or at least the team needed to have him think that to get him here.

So I suppose its possible (but I doubt it) that Cassell winds up being the "veteran" backup QB on the team.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but only if Bramlet makes the final roster can his bonus be stretched out over the length of the contract. If he's on the practice squad that 3 year deal is all but void and his bonus all comes due - not that its a huge thing.

Of course, if he does surprise and make the team, now that Pats have what could be a tradeable commodity locked in for three years on the cheap.

BB likes Fielder. And I think he would bring in a vet QB to compete with Cassel and Bramlett.

I think Collins is the best QB out there. Who would you rather in there if god forbid Brady misses 5 games ? I'd take Collins over Fiedler. Collins never played on a team as good as the Pats, he would give us the best chance to win, IMHO.

collins wants to start or get paid well still..he thinks hes very good but hes not. i wouldnt want him unless he takes a very big paycut

I like Fiedler the best because we have an excellant running and short passing attack now...we don't need a long passing guy. That being said..all of the guys on the list could do that I'm sure.

But backup QB can be a crucial non playing position mentally. Fiedler leads that pack a ton...it wouldn't surprise me to see he's just about on par with Brady in the mental aspects of the game. I think it's best to get Brady a backup he can work with to gain every edge possible.

Fiedler gets my vote by far....Maddox a distant 2nd....Davey should consider rugby.

Status
Not open for further replies.

2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft