PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Very thin @ CB.. Will a trade for an experienced CB be viable?

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's probable that KC will get a 4th round comp pick IF Sean Smith moves on to a higher bidder in free agency next spring. We're making assumptions that they don't want to try and keep him, or that they "probably can't keep him." We have no idea as to whether or not that's true.

According to Over The Cap, the Chiefs will be under next year's cap by about 35 million dollars--assuming a modest 7m dollar increase across the board for all 32 teams. At the moment, they only have 115m on the books for a salary cap that's going to be in the range of 150m.

One may argue that KC is much better off trying to reach an extension with him, as he obviously helps their defense/secondary.

As you said, if Belichick offers a 3rd/4th for 2016, they'd essentially be getting the same round pick, only a year earlier, which may make it more attractive. One would have to imagine that he'd be all over it if he thought it could benefit the team. I know as fans, we'd be as happy as anything, as he would almost immediately help our secondary greatly.

I guess I'm on the wrong side of the consensus on this issue. First, let me say that I think that Sean Smith would be a great addition, I just don't think it is likely it will happen, for reasons I've argued earlier. Rather than talking about "whether it would benefit the team", let's focus on Andy Reid and make it personal, and put ourselves in his shoes (always an instructive exercise). Pretend like you are Andy Reid, and I am asking these questions of you, Andy:

1) Andy, you are 2-5. Are you worried about being fired at the end of the year?

2) If the answer is "Yes", Andy, are you more focused on assets that will help you turn things around this year (like Smith) and help you keep your job, or draft picks to be used in future years (when you may have already been fired)?

3) In light of the answers to 1 and 2, Andy, would you trade Sean Smith for a 3/4 in 2016 instead of keeping him for the remainder of the season and getting a 4th round comp pick the year after?

To me the answer seems clear. Of course, with my prognostication record that probably means that word of the Sean Smith trade will be announced tomorrow. :cool:

Last edited:
If our plan was to develop and promote corners from within, isn't it odd that we didn't draft any CBs besides Daryl Roberts in the 7th Round?

Last edited:
I expect a trade even if it's not a high caliber name. Sean Smith though would just be awesome.

I guess I'm on the wrong side of the consensus on this issue. First, let me say that I think that Sean Smith would be a great addition, I just don't think it is likely it will happen, for reasons I've argued earlier. Rather than talking about "whether it would benefit the team", let's focus on Andy Reid and make it personal, and put ourselves in his shoes (always an instructive exercise). Pretend like you are Andy Reid, and I am asking these questions of you, Andy:

1) Andy, you are 2-5. Are you worried about being fired at the end of the year?

2) If the answer is "Yes", Andy, are you more focused on assets that will help you turn things around this year (like Smith) and help you keep your job, or draft picks to be used in future years (when you may have already been fired)?

3) In light of the answers to 1 and 2, Andy, would you trade Sean Smith for a 3/4 in 2016 instead of keeping him for the remainder of the season and getting a 4th round comp pick the year after?

To me the answer seems clear. Of course, with my prognostication record that probably means that word of the Sean Smith trade will be announced tomorrow. :cool:

Good point, and I think it goes hand in hand with my comments about making assumptions that the KC Chiefs would even be interested. We're making a lot of assumptions that they can't keep Smith after the year is up, etc. The truth is that we have no idea, but they'll certainly have the cap room for 2016 if they choose to do so.

How much would it cost to get Jason McCourty from the 1-5 Tennessee Titans? He is making a ton of money but it would be pretty sweet to have the McCourty Bros. in a package deal.

Can't happen. Too much money.

Sadly, this may be true for many potential CBs. Sean Smith, for example, would cost around 2.25-2.50m (approx) if we traded for him today. Hard to imagine them cutting it that close to the cap.

It may be more likely that they bring in a no-name who doesn't cost much--just for depth alone. Then again, one may argue that they've already done that with the signing of Melvin.

Be careful what you say or you will be immortalized when we go on to win the Super Bowl with our current secondary.

Yeah it could happen. Just like a band of misfits won the Super Bowl in 2001 when they seemingly had no right to. But I'd like to increase our odds!

Be careful what you say or you will be immortalized when we go on to win the Super Bowl with our current secondary.
That typically comes with making a loud and obnoxious thread though, and we know who did that last year has not been seen around here in a while. ;)

They cant just stand where they are now. They cant.

"I don't care.I can't stand it!" part 2?

Lol just kidding. I have to admit I'd be nervous about this secondary going into a game vs an offense like GB's or Pittsburgh.

Especially if there was an injury. The depth might be the most concerning part.

We already beat the steelers.

Old friend (and Super Bowl winning practice squad member) Dax Swanson was just released by the Bucs if we are looking for a JAG corner that's familiar with the system.

Last edited:
We already beat the steelers.

They didn't have the NFL's top rusher/backfield receiver in Bell, and were also without WR Martavius Bryant. To take it one step further, they also didn't have all pro center Markice Pouncey, so they weren't anywhere near full speed.

We also had Tarrell Brown in the secondary at CB, as well. In that game, Brown had almost as many snaps as Malcolm Butler, whereas Logan Ryan only saw....four.

Much different situations for both teams.

Old Friend Dax Swanson was just released by the Bucs if we are looking for a JAG that's familiar with the system.

Unless Swanson just flat out blows (quite possible). I like where you're thinking though, as I have a feeling any signing at CB is going to be much closer to this kind, than for somehow pulling a trade for Sean Smith.

They cant just stand where they are now. They cant.

Brown's injury was old news by the time it reached the fans, and they claimed Melvin off waivers and nothing more. The Patriots appear to be content with the current DBs on the roster.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore