PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Very Depressing

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know there is a formal postgame discussion thread, but wanted to jot down some thoughts while my head was clear (if that ever happens).

First, congrats to the Broncos fans. Your team deserved to win the game. Any time you come back from 10 down in the 2nd half, hold the other team scoreless in the 2nd half, and put together a 98 yard TD drive you deserve to win the game. It is clear that McDaniels has you mentally tough, not giving up, making adjustments, and ready to play all 60+ minutes.

I can't remember feeling this depressed about a game in a while. It's not that we lost. I would have been just as upset if we had won. It's not the result that bothers me, it's how we played. I turned the game off after the 3rd quarter because I couldn't take it anymore.

Last week I would have been upbeat even if we had lost because I thought we played well against a top team. This week I would have been just as dejected if we had won, because we played terribly. And there were a number of telling points to take away form that performance.

1. Keys to the game.

I had previously posted a thread on my 5 keys to the game:

http://www.patsfans.com/new-england-patriots/messageboard/10/280406-5-keys-victory.html

#1 on that list was maintaining intensity, focus and aggresiveness on a road trip to Mile High and after a big win against Baltimore. I think we failed miserably. The intensity was noticeably lacking in comparison to the Baltimore game. Frankly, I thought it was lacking all week on this board, with numerous comments suggesting that people were taking this game lightly despite being a road game at Mile High against an undefeated team. I said in that thread that I thought this was a game we should win but also a very loseable game, and we lost it.

Of my 5 keys, the only one I thought we did a good job of was stopping Elvis Dumervil the Denver pass rush. I didn't think we had good offensive balance, didn't think we got pressure on defense, and don't think we played well against the Denver receivers, allowing 2 TD catches to Brandon Marshall.

2. 2nd Half Adjustments

This is the 3rd game out of 5 where we went into halftime with a lead and were largely shut down in the 2nd half. Two 2nd half shutouts in 5 games bodes very poorly for this team, and we had the opportunity to put both this game and the Baltimore game away with 2nd half offensive execution and failed both times. The fact that opposing defenses are largely stopping us in the 2nd half suggests that our offense is unbalanced and predictable. Today it looked unbalanced and predictable. Also very boring.

We had blamed previous poor offensive performances to rustiness by Brady, to getting flustered by pressure, and to injuries. The fact is we just may not be a very good offense. Our play calling stinks, our running game is mediocre at best, and our passing game is predictable and can be stopped.

3. Road Wimps

We're 3-2 so far, 3-0 at Foxboro and 0-2 on the road. That's a very bad sign. 5 of our last 8 games come on the road. And, the way we are playing, it looks like we will have to go on the road in the playoffs if we make it that far. Was this a "tough" road game? I think it was a very winnable game, we just didn't play well enough.

4. Inconsistency

We just haven't been a very consistent team so far this year. I thought we were getting better after early rust, but we threw a duck egg in this big game. This reminds me a bit of 2005, when we couldn't win 2 games in a row for the first half of the season before finishing 11-5. Not the hallmark of an elite team.

The Bottom Line

We're 3-2. We have not shown very much consistency so far this season. It looked like we were on the right track after the Atlanta and Baltimore games, but this game was a major regression: lack of balance, predictable and unimaginative play calling, poor execution, lack of aggressiveness on defense, soft zone coverage and no pass rush. We got a lot of lucky breaks and still couldn't put the game away. To have this kind of stinker really makes me question our ability to step it up to consistently perform at an elite level.

We have 6 extremely winnable games left: at home against Tennessee, Carolina and Jacksonville; and on the road against Tampa Bay (in London), Buffalo and Houston. None of those teams have looked good. We have 5 fairly (to very) tough games left: at home against Miami and the Jets, and on the road against Indy, New Orleans and Miami (I list Miami as "fairly tough" because they always give us a hard time; the others are very tough games). But we need to show much more consistency in how we play than we have shown over the past 5 games.

It's time for a gut check. We are not a first tier team right now. There's plenty of time left, but a long way to go to be a consistently elite team. And we'll probably have to do it the hard way. It's quite possible for us to put a late run together and get hot like Pittsburgh in 2005 or the Giants in 2007, but so far we just don't look consistent enough or good enough to run the table.

It's time for a gut check.
The Patriots are no longer an elite team. The question is if they are good

enough to make the playoffs. They have been ravaged by losses of their

provern veterans and have not had productive drafts to replace these

veterans. The same thing is starting to happen to them that occurred

with the good teams of the Holovak, Fairbanks, Meyer/Berry, and Parcells

eras.

You know what's freakin depressing, checking Cincinatti's freakin box score and seeing Rey Maualuga lighting up the freakin stat sheet again with 8 tackles (6 solo) and 2 of them for losses.

We passed twice on this guy, STUPIDLY, and settled for guys like Ron Brace and Patrick Chung............

For a team desperate for a Maualuga, Laurinaitis or a Clay Matthews, how the freak did BB do this ? Unbelievable !!!!!!!!!!

How many passes do we give BB before we can actually start to criticize his choices of coordinators, his drafts and his FA decisions and most recently some of these freakin trades (Burgess for a 3 and a 5), I mean c'mon. I'm done being handed the "BB can do no wrong koolaid", the guy is not above criticism.

Couldn't agree more. Just bizarre moves across the board. They could've had a stud LT of the future (Oher) or stud 3-4 ILB (Maualuga) teaming up with Mayo.

Last edited:
It's not the result that bothers me, it's how we played. I turned the game off after the 3rd quarter because I couldn't take it anymore.
Dude, seriously? You turned the game off while the Pats were still winning 17-10 and then come on here and talk about the "second half adjustments" and other things you missed most of? I don't miss one second of Patriots action and can't even imagine it. I don't know why you're upset, you didn't even care enough to watch a significant portion of a regular season game. There are only 16 of them you know.

Maybe next Sunday just watch a movie or something.

J D Sal

I see much more than "Brady's not ready yet". I see a lack of preparation, ability to make adjustments, and ability to maintain intensity and aggressiveness on the part of the coaching staff which worries me. TB executing at his old level may cover up for a lot of that, but I think there are some major flaws at the foundation of this team. I like a lot of things about it (the overall talent level and depth, and the speed and playmaking capability on defense in particular), but the way this game played out really worries me for the long haul this season.

I tend to agree with you, but the fact remains, if Brady can just throw the ball NEAR Moss and Welker on those two would be TD's, we win by two scores and no one's complaining about the playcalling.

The adjustments issue is a big one. In our two losses, we had chances to win for sure. The other team made some adjustments, and ours just didn't work. Even if they negated each other, we'd be undefeated right now.

You brought up a good point. They were scoreless in the second half in both losses. Offense needs to pick it up.

Dude, seriously? You turned the game off while the Pats were still winning 17-10 and then come on here and talk about the "second half adjustments" and other things you missed most of? I don't miss one second of Patriots action and can't even imagine it. I don't know why you're upset, you didn't even care enough to watch a significant portion of a regular season game. There are only 16 of them you know.

Maybe next Sunday just watch a movie or something.

J D Sal

"After the 3rd quarter" means just that ... after the 3rd quarter. Not at the start of it. I saw plenty of 2nd half adjustments in the 3rd quarter, all by the Broncos.

Actually, I had other reasons for missing the 4th quarter, but the way we played in the 3rd had me fairly convinced that this was going to be one of those very painful games.

Four quarters of zeros in the second of our losses, the 6th ranked defense in the league, and the defense bears much of the blame according to many of our posters.

After all, Brady should be able to win with only 14 points in a game.

You brought up a good point. They were scoreless in the second half in both losses. Offense needs to pick it up.

Four quarters of zeros in the second of our losses, the 6th ranked defense in the league, and the defense bears much of the blame according to many of our posters.

After all, Brady should be able to win with only 14 points in a game.

Great post - and I think that's the reason why people need to take a step back and go over and review how other teams are really performing before deciding that we need to start looking toward 2010 because '09 looks bleak.

brady had 215 yerds two TD and 0 INT

thats not that bad yes he missed some open throw's but that dose not meen he suck's

befor 2007 he only had one 4000 yerd passing season and never throw for more then 28 TD

so im not buying the whole he's not back from he's injury yet he had 4 preseason game and 5 regular season game's

if he is not over it by now he will never get over it

2007 was a record season you dont have record season's every year

brady will have around 25 TD and 4000 yerd's this year that's a real brady year not 50 TD and 5000 yerd's

he will have some good game's some bad game's and some great geam's

the problem with the O is no real runing game so if brady dose not have a great game VS good team's they will not win

on D again no real pass rush burgess look's to slow to be a big time pass rusher AD is not the same player he was with the ravens with out all the big time pass rushers around him and now he is 32 year's old so we cant look to him every week for pass rush

TBC will get he's one sack a week when the pat's bring a all out blitz

but over all they have no great passrusher's so when they face a team like the jets and denver who have a good O line they will not get to the QB

Leigh Bodden got he's first test and he failed yes Marshall and Royal are denver version of moss and welker but even VS Gaffney he could not stop them they picked on him all day

yes this team has a lot of hole's but that dose not mean the sky is falling

this D is still better then last year's D that won 11 game's

brady is still better then matt cassel

its still the same running back's that got a 150 yerd's a game last year

11 win's will get them in the playoff's this year and maybe even win the AFC east and have a home playoff game

Last edited:
You know what's freakin depressing, checking Cincinatti's freakin box score and seeing Rey Maualuga lighting up the freakin stat sheet again with 8 tackles (6 solo) and 2 of them for losses.

We passed twice on this guy, STUPIDLY, and settled for guys like Ron Brace and Patrick Chung............

For a team desperate for a Maualuga, Laurinaitis or a Clay Matthews, how the freak did BB do this ? Unbelievable !!!!!!!!!!

How many passes do we give BB before we can actually start to criticize his choices of coordinators, his drafts and his FA decisions and most recently some of these freakin trades (Burgess for a 3 and a 5), I mean c'mon. I'm done being handed the "BB can do no wrong koolaid", the guy is not above criticism.

Maualuga? No. Clay Matthews? Sure. We weren't going to try for a MLB like Rey when we already had Mayo. I'm not quite as quick to crucify BB for drafting Chung and Brace; they made our squad for a reason. Hopefully the return comes.

"After the 3rd quarter" means just that ... after the 3rd quarter. Not at the start of it. I saw plenty of 2nd half adjustments in the 3rd quarter, all by the Broncos.

Actually, I had other reasons for missing the 4th quarter, but the way we played in the 3rd had me fairly convinced that this was going to be one of those very painful games.
Right because at the end of the 3rd quarter the Patriots had a 17-10 lead, the ball, a first down and were about to continue a drive for another 5 minutes, getting the clock under 10 and changed up field position to the Denver 2. But of course, you didn't see that because you were too busy to watch (but not too busy to write a lengthy thread about what you didn't see).

I mean afterall, you saw the third quarter in which the Broncos gained a total of 94 yards on 19 plays, punting once and getting one field goal and saw the Patriots gain a total of 99 yards on 22 plays that quarter, punting once, missing a field goal and having the ball on the third possession with a first down at the end of the quarter.

It must have been the missed field goal that was the 3rd quarter "adjustment" you were pissed about.

J D Sal

Last edited:
Another thing is there may not be the talent we thought on offense. With no Galloway, we have Same Aiken and Edelman as the 3rd and 4th receivers. That's damn poor work by the front office.
Yeah, I had this revelation when watching what Indy is getting out of Austin Collie. And that's without Gonzalez.

I saw the Ravens/Bengals game today. Rey was really good. A couple of behind the LOS tackles and solid all around.

Brady needs to pull his head out of his ass and start hitting muss when there isnt anybody within 3 or 4 yards around him in the end zone. The pass play where Welker was streaking down the field and Brady thorws the ball at his feet was just pathetic, if Brady hits him in stride as the announcers said he runs in untouched for a 60 or 70 yard TD. If Brady is still hurt than I understand, if his knee isnt the problem than he needs to get his head out of his ass and be the QB he capable of being. This loss was on him.

Am I the only one who is super pissed at the OT sudden death rule?

Brady needs to pull his head out of his ass and start hitting muss when there isnt anybody within 3 or 4 yards around him in the end zone. The pass play where Welker was streaking down the field and Brady thorws the ball at his feet was just pathetic, if Brady hits him in stride as the announcers said he runs in untouched for a 60 or 70 yard TD. If Brady is still hurt than I understand, if his knee isnt the problem than he needs to get his head out of his ass and be the QB he capable of being. This loss was on him.

he hasnt played football for 1 full yr. regardless of the injury even he doesnt realize that it will take time. just my 2cents. its wrong to compare manning,rivers,palmer to brady because they all played their full seasons before getting injured so in a nutshell did not miss an entire football season of 16 games.
for a QB to sit out 16 games has to hard and brady of people is not realizing that right now and trying to complain about dropped balls and routes .iam hoping it improves.

ANSWER 1
anyone who understands how serious Brady's injury was and how difficult it is for a quarterback to recover.

ANSWER 2
anyone who watched Peyton Manning play last year, going 3-4 and then 9-0
He was aweful early.

You make good points ... I will add to this that Brady has won just once in Denver. Its a very difficult place to beat the opponents. Loud crowd and thin air.

Patriots defense was on the field the way too much the second half. They got gassed. Despite these physical problems, the Patriots were in the game and had opportunities to stop Denver. A bad offsides penalty against TBC, a double tipped reception by Gaffney. Denver was lucky.

Pats have lost on the road to two good teams. They were in both games right up to the end. Brady is not in synch yet. Our defense is far ahead of where we expected it to be at this time in the season.

The Patriots will be fine.

The fact is we just may not be a very good offense. Our play calling stinks, our running game is mediocre at best, and our passing game is predictable and can be stopped.

It very well may still be that the only thing stopping this offense from looking like 2007 is Brady hitting a few deep balls.

That said, it just feels different. The margin for error feels slim. We're faced with too many third downs, and are doing a poor job on early downs. It's too obvious when we're running, and we're ending up with too many short gains or no gains in the run game. The screen game has become too predictable and the only chances when Moss has the time to get deep, Brady has missed him. Moss & Welker are the only two legit wideouts out there, and teams are trying their best and taking those guys out.

So yes, offensively, its a bit of a mess right now. But it could be correctable with a) better execution by Brady b) a solution to the 3rd wideout problem c) less predictable play-calling.

Also, I think the long drives yielded by the defense are not helping the offense too much (and vice versa). They can't get in a rhythm. Forget bend don't break, we need to be aggressive. I may be in the minority, but I'd rather give up a 98 yard TD pass than a 98 yard drive that keeps the offense off the field for half a quarter and prevents this offense from getting any kind of flow or confidence.

And to all that say we've always been "bend, don't break" - bullshyt. Go watch that 01 SB vs the Rams again. The defense was scary and it took risks.

But, I think we are VERY CLOSE on both sides of the ball. So, I do see a Giants 07 type run in this team.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft