Troy Brown - Starting Wide Receiver

Status
Not open for further replies.

mgteich

PatsFans.com Veteran
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Whouda thunk it?

Troy was considering retiring before last season. He was considering playing one last year for another team. He finally decided to play the 2005 season for the Patriots. And here we are, and we certainly don't have two better wide receivers ready to play.

He is so reliable, you just have to like him. 35 years old or not he always has the skills and awareness to be a good reciever.

mgteich said:
Whouda thunk it?

Troy was considering retiring before last season. He was considering playing one last year for another team. He finally decided to play the 2005 season for the Patriots. And here we are, and we certainly don't have two better wide receivers ready to play.

Troy looked excellent on Saturday. He has found the fountain of youth. I wouldn't be surprised if he has 30-40 catches again this year.

scott99 said:
Troy looked excellent on Saturday. He has found the fountain of youth. I wouldn't be surprised if he has 30-40 catches again this year.

Troy had 39 catches playing part time as a WR and part time as a CB. Considering the WR situation, I could see him getting a few more for say 45 this year.

I hope he doesn't have to be a starter. Would like to keep him fresh as possible through the entire season.

I was thinking of this situation while watching the game from my seat at the stadium :) ... Anyhow.. I think there is definitely strong possiblity that he starts opposite of R. Caldwell.. The reason for my thinking is he could play strong and to a top level for 5-6 games. At that point Jackson should be infusing himself more into the offense. At that time, Brown can step back and let the young rookie get more reps. IF this fails, week 10 will be around the corner and Branch will definitely be back..

As someone pointed out, Brown was thinking of retiring.. Now he has a chance to start and really help this offense..

Do you really think he would start on the outside ? How many catches did he make last year that weren't from the slot position ?

If there are two WR and Troy is one of them, would he still be lined up as a slot ?

...and he deserves all his good fortune. The epitome of team. One reaps what one sows. Good for you, Troy! Hard work pays off. Love this guy.

Troy has always been a slot receiver; at one time the best in the league. However, when we have needed him to play outside he has done so.

arrellbee said:
Do you really think he would start on the outside ? How many catches did he make last year that weren't from the slot position ?

If there are two WR and Troy is one of them, would he still be lined up as a slot ?

arrellbee said:

Few years ago when He went to the PRobowl he started outside.. yes he is a little older but its been done and he has done well..

Starter?

I dont think so. He would be great as a slant 3rd WR. And if Branch is not back then Jackson and Caldwell should be the one and two and let Troy Brown be the third slant option. Using Troy every down is going to wear him down fast.

I don't know if Troy starts or not, but I think he'll have a very productive season. He's my boy, I gotta root for him!

Okay if he doesnt' start.. Then who does?? Bam.. hehehe..

mcsully said:
Okay if he doesnt' start.. Then who does?? Bam.. hehehe..
Caldwell and Jackson would be your starters.

SeanBruschi54 said:

Well, we'll see how Jackson does whenever he finally gets on the field.

Last edited by a moderator:
Why not Jackson and Branch?

We need to focus on the players who arelikely on on field, productive for Game One. It is not at all clear that Jackson would have started if he were here for all of camp, certainly not now.

SeanBruschi54 said:

Brown is in great shape. As long as he's not used in a CB role, he can start without wearing down. His fly patterns may be limited. Hooks and outs all day long.

If Branch isnt here, it will be Caldwell and Brown.

For me if Branch doesnt play, Brown is a LOCK for starter. Why? By watching the game against Cards, the first catch he made looked awesome and it seemed like he was in great shape. He had to jump and sort of stretch to get the ball and run with it, the second just showed his outstanding awareness. Ball gets tipped and it floats right into Browns hands. Listen Brown is 35 years old but he can still play. As BB would say, "THE MAN IS A FOOTBALL PLAYER."

I think he is still in good shape and he is the most reliable person on the field for Brady to go to, because I havent seen Troy drop an easy pass for a while now.

If Branch doesnt come back in the next few days Troy will clearly start at WR. Why would you not start the best WR on the team?

The reason why I said Brown would be a starter because the facts are the two players people are penciling in as starters have yet to practice..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back