PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Trading up: who?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Berry: I have yet to see a safety that was highly regarded to much to transform a defense, let alone a secondary.

Troy Polamalu says Hi. The Steelers, who had a reputation for never trading up, traded up big to get him. The Steelers have good defenses most years, but clearly he's central to them.

Come to think of it, the Steelers also traded up once to get a DROY with what was originally our pick, namely Bell. But we got Matt Light, so it's all OK.

I'm hard-pressed to think of a second example. I wasn't following the draft when Ed Reed came out. And Sean Taylor, despite being a great player, didn't seem to transform the Redskins.

Anyhow, granted that the Front 7 is more like a Front 5 or 6 these days -- BB seemed to play a lot more dime last year than nickel -- we have four positions pretty set there in Wilfork, Warren, Mayo, and TBC. So we have about 2 very upgradable spots (Wilfork and Warren won't both play on dime downs).

At DB, I'd say we're set at our top 3 safeties, and at top 2 CB (Bodden/Butler). A BPA CB would not be ridiculous. A BPA safety, notwithstanding my post above, would be more questionable.

IMO Odrick wouldn't be much of an immediate upgrade over wright who has been pretty solid. It seems like Chung and Brace are depth picks, I didn't like the picks when they were made and now I like them even less now that Wilfork has been resigned and Chung isn't an upgrade over Sanders who has been solid. If we trade up hopefully it's for either Haden or McClain in the early teens. Haden could come in and start for us and McClain would be an upgrade at SILB over Guyton. Doubt we trade up for an OLB prospect because of the risk factor with conversion prospects. Two postions on defense that are at a premium these days are pass rushers and DB's who can cover. McClain doesn't fit either but he's such a highley touted prospect that he may be worth it. And lol @ the people who think Crohnes is actually going to play a part in his draft position or play for that matter.

Yes, I've seen the team play once or twice. Obviously I'm not a scout such as yourself, but I have heard BB mention how in today's NFL your nickle back is really like a starter so you need to have five starting caliber DBs.

Pats have Bodden and (hopefully) a developing Butler at CB. At safety they have a good but overrated (Pro Bowl? Really?) Brandon Meriweather who has yet to to meet a bad angle he doesn't like, Sanders (marginal starter) and Chung, a second-rounder who has yet to play significant snaps on defense.

Berry would replace Sanders as a starter and Chung would be a nickle back. Again, I'm no scout, but talent and playmakers win in this league.

Sorry, I forgot where I was. It's throw them out and start over every year here.

How can I run my draft board if all these players insist on playing more than a year or two?

Guess we're going with the 3-7 defense this year

Last edited:
Yes, I've seen the team play once or twice. Obviously I'm not a scout such as yourself, but I have heard BB mention how in today's NFL your nickle back is really like a starter so you need to have five starting caliber DBs.

Pats have Bodden and (hopefully) a developing Butler at CB. At safety they have a good but overrated (Pro Bowl? Really?) Brandon Meriweather who has yet to to meet a bad angle he doesn't like, Sanders (marginal starter) and Chung, a second-rounder who has yet to play significant snaps on defense.

Berry would replace Sanders as a starter and Chung would be a nickle back. Again, I'm no scout, but talent and playmakers win in this league.

Chung is a SS, not sure why you think he could play nickel back..

I love Eric Berry and think he is a future HOF'er but there's 3 safeties on this team that have started and Chung was a 2nd rounder. I'm not in love with any of them and think that Meriweather is one of the more over rated players on this team, but we have greater needs than safety.

Shouldn't this be in the draft section.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back