PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Trading Down In the 4th

Status
Not open for further replies.
I see us trading our 4th rounder and a 6th rounder (or two) to get a lower 4th and a 5th.

I suspect it'll depend on when they want to take Keenan Reynolds. Judging by the Valentine pick, I think they're already drafting for the PS and camp competition. I suspect they're pretty comfortable with the 53 man roster at the moment and don't envision any pick we make now being a lock for the 53.

I suspect it'll depend on when they want to take Keenan Reynolds. Judging by the Valentine pick, I think they're already drafting for the PS and camp competition. I suspect they're pretty comfortable with the 53 man roster at the moment and don't envision any pick we make now being a lock for the 53.

I disagree with regard to DT's. Before we drafted Valentine, we had 3.

1) 100% of Belichick's picks through the 4th round have made the final 53, every single one. I don't expect that this will stop tomorrow.

2) Our first four picks will make the team. If Valentine is a developmental DT who will be inactive in every game, then so be it. He will get more reps next year, when one of Branch or Knighton are likely gone. If not, he'll be a backup next year, with more reps.

3) I expect anyone picked in the 4th tomorrow to make the 53, as has always been the case. If there is really no room on the roster, or the talent is that bad, then the pick should be traded into 2017 for a 3rd or even for a 4th.

4) We usually carry 5 DT's. We now have FOUR, including Valentine. There is plenty of possibility of a 4th round draftee beating our Kuhn, Velano and Kearse for the 5th DT roster spot.

5) I also think that a 4th RB pick can make the squad.

6) Finally, a 4th round DE could make the squad, if he or one of the DE's can play inside occasionally. I believe that Grissom did last year, and that Long is capable of sting so.

1) 100% of Belichick's picks through the 4th round have made the final 53, every single one. I don't expect that this will stop tomorrow.

2) Our first four picks will make the team. If Valentine is a developmental DT who will be inactive in every game, then so be it. He will get more reps next year, when one of Branch or Knighton are likely gone. If not, he'll be a backup next year, with more reps.

3) I expect anyone picked in the 4th tomorrow to make the 53, as has always been the case. If there is really no room on the roster, or the talent is that bad, then the pick should be traded into 2017 for a 3rd or even for a 4th.

4) We usually carry 5 DT's. We now have FOUR, including Valentine. There is plenty of possibility of a 4th round draftee beating our Kuhn, Velano and Kearse for the 5th DT roster spot.

6) Finally, a 4th round DE could make the squad, if he or one of the DE's can play inside occasionally. I believe that Grissom did last year, and that Long is capable of sting so.

You are welcome to disagree and you might be right. And if you are, I am more befuddled by the Valentine pick.

On the other hand...

You are welcome to disagree and you might be right. And if you are, I am more befuddled by the Valentine pick.

The issue is player evaluation. Personally I think that , absent injury, Valentine will be on the 53. What we all seem to be saying is that we disagree with Belichick's evaluation of Valentine as the best prospect available to replace Branch or Knighton in 2017. We have our choices and Belichick has his. I certainly think that a developmental fattie was a serious need, and NOT a need for 2016.

I believe that we need an additional DT, perhaps one with more pass rush possibilities.

The issue is player evaluation. Personally I think that , absent injury, Valentine will be on the 53. What we all seem to be saying is that we disagree with Belichick's evaluation of Valentine as the best prospect available to replace Branch or Knighton in 2017. We have our choices and Belichick has his. I certainly think that a developmental fattie was a serious need, and NOT a need for 2016.

I believe that we need an additional DT, perhaps one with more pass rush possibilities.

I agree we needed a developmental fattie. I'd have preferred someone a little less fat and a little more athletic. DJ Reader is still out there. He's so much better. But Valentine makes sense if there is a plan to switch to a 3-4. He looks like he could do much better in that role.

On the other hand...

This is what I've been saying for awhile now. The sheer volume of picks and lack of true needs is going to mean that:

1) We trade some picks. I had the early 2nd/3rd round trade pegged weeks ago, although I was hoping to get more value from it by moving one of them into next year. Either way, they were almost certain to trade one of those top picks in an attempt to try and fill the 4-5 round gap this year, or add some picks for next spring. I fully expected both.

2) As fans, we should basically expect a draft full of developmental prospects and some gambles. Certain positions like CB, QB, WR should all be addressed. What I have a slight problem with is the specific players for those positions. That said, I am obviously very ignorant and they have much more time and energy invested when trying to assess the right fit.

As long as they come out of the draft with a decent RB and a couple of new OL prospects, I'm totally fine with taking shots at DL, CB, WR, QB, etc. I would still like to see guys like Booker (RB) or Perry (LB), but that's simply personal preference.

I also think that a 4th RB pick can make the squad.

I would bet money that whoever is chosen for the position of RB will likely make the squad. I wouldn't necessarily narrow it down to the 4th round. There are still RBs out there who can come in and be a part of the RBBC system, for sure.

It isn't like the current competition is stellar. It consists of maybe 2 "real" running backs, and one of them is currently rehabbing a major injury and is a smaller/lighter back, anyway. The other is a power back who didn't receive any attention in free agency and came cheap on a one year deal.

If you're trying to say that you'd be on the fence about a decent RB option being taken in the 5th round, I'd highly disagree. Guys like James White, Tyler Gaffney, Brandon Bolden (ST only), and Donald Brown certainly aren't going to provide much of an obstacle for making the squad. I think it's safe to assume that whatever rookie is selected will be expected to make the team.

Most fans enjoy a sexy pick.....someone who's name they recognize and is at a workhorse position , like RB......every year the Pats draft some Who TF players ....... I am sooooo used to it...

IN BB I TRUST

I would bet money that whoever is chosen for the position of RB will likely make the squad. I wouldn't necessarily narrow it down to the 4th round. There are still RBs out there who can come in and be a part of the RBBC system, for sure.

It isn't like the current competition is stellar. It consists of maybe 2 "real" running backs, and one of them is currently rehabbing a major injury and is a smaller/lighter back, anyway. The other is a power back who didn't receive any attention in free agency and came cheap on a one year deal.

If you're trying to say that you'd be on the fence about a decent RB option being taken in the 5th round, I'd highly disagree. Guys like James White, Tyler Gaffney, Brandon Bolden (ST only), and Donald Brown certainly aren't going to provide much of an obstacle for making the squad. I think it's safe to assume that whatever rookie is selected will be expected to make the team.

There seemed to be an implication that today's draft was about the Practice Squad. My point is that our 4th WILL make the 53 man squad. I was pointing out that a 4th round DL and a 4th round RB would fit right in to the 53 man roster.

I did NOT mean to imply that a RB picked later won't make the 53. While I have no particular belief that a 5th or 6th rounder will make the squad over the 6 players we have, that is certainly possible.

Most fans enjoy a sexy pick.....someone who's name they recognize and is at a workhorse position , like RB......every year the Pats draft some Who TF players ....... I am sooooo used to it...

IN BB I TRUST
Yea but the team needs a RB. Too many questions at the position in 2016 to ignore.

I want them to move up not down. Go up and get Booker, don't let the other teams clean out the best remaining talent early in the fourth.

Take 196 and 204, package with 112 and go up to 101/102 for the RB. Then they can fill out the PS with the rest of their late picks.

That said I don't think they will do it, but I can still hope.

We should've gotten Booker with that comp pick and save Valentine for that 4th rounder..

I want them to move up not down. Go up and get Booker, don't let the other teams clean out the best remaining talent early in the fourth.

Take 196 and 204, package with 112 and go up to 101/102 for the RB. Then they can fill out the PS with the rest of their late picks.

That said I don't think they will do it, but I can still hope.

I dunna know....I don't think they have enough 6th rounders to swing it. :p

We should've gotten Booker with that comp pick and save Valentine for that 4th rounder..
I'm bullish on Booker as well but the knee and the assessment that he has a tough time with the mental aspect of the game are concerns and the reasons why it's appropriate that he is still on the board.

Remember they cannot trade compensatory picks

All I know is they're making at least 4 picks today.

Booker is an injury concern. Dixon may be a better prospect.

PLAYER MOST LIKELY TO HELP THE PATRIOTS
Ridgeway DT

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes