Best 1st Round Outcome

• Caleb Williams

Votes: 15 24.2%
  • Drake Maye

Votes: 22 35.5%
  • Jayden Daniels + Roman Odunze

Votes: 25 40.3%

• Total voters
Looking at the rest of our season, the Jets game is the only one without playoff implications for the opponents. I see us with 4 wins

Arizona has the 5th toughest strength of schedule remaining, however, they do have a game against the Bears. So one of the top 5 is guaranteed a win

IMHO there are 5 offensive players in this draft that would be future foundational players: Williams or Maye at QB, MHJ at WR, and Fashanu and Alt at tackle. Personally, I'd be fine with any of these guys.

We’re pretty much almost guaranteed a shot at either Maye or Daniels (especially Daniels), barring some type of undesirable turnaround. Maye will go anywhere between 2-5, depending on the needs of each respective team. Daniels is a lock to be available for us, as he'll like go within the top 5-10 picks. I love Maye and I really like Daniels, as he reminds me a lot of Jalen Hurts with his leadership, poise, accuracy, touch & athleticism. Maye is also highly athletic, especially for his size. Size/athleticism-wise, he’s an Allen/Herbert archetype. I’d honestly be ecstatic with either of them.

I like Daniels - but he's so thin, especially lower body. It would be a guarantee he gets hurt his first year.
If he can add 15 lbs of muscle this offseason he could be a force. He shouldn't be running as much in NFL as he did at LSU, but to have a dual threat QB would help the Pats finally modernize our offense.
Maybe they keep Zappe as the bridge? But, if they spend a #4 overall pick, the pressure will be high to play him after the first month or so. Totally depends if BB stays. And how many games we win with Zappe. (I think only 1 more vs. Jets)

I like Daniels - but he's so thin, especially lower body. It would be a guarantee he gets hurt his first year.
If he can add 15 lbs of muscle this offseason he could be a force. He shouldn't be running as much in NFL as he did at LSU, but to have a dual threat QB would help the Pats finally modernize our offense.
Maybe they keep Zappe as the bridge? But, if they spend a #4 overall pick, the pressure will be high to play him after the first month or so. Totally depends if BB stays. And how many games we win with Zappe. (I think only 1 more vs. Jets)
1) I don't think that a QB picked at 4 or later needs to start in the first half of the season.

2) So, Daniels needs to add 15 pounds of muscle to be a force? So, hire a trainer who has that one job. Of course, there would assessments before the draft. There's a lot of time before he has to perform; gaining a few pounds shouldn't the major issue.

3) My position is that we need a veteran backup/bridge. and 2024 starter. We should sign or trade for one before the draft.

4) Belichick gave his assessment of Zappe. He is no even a top 50 QB. He was WAIVED before the season started. And all the rest of the GM's agreed. Zappe was and is not good enough to rely on as a #2 QB (yet?), and certainly not good enough for the team to choose him as our 2024 starter until our draftee develops.

BTW, I have NOT given up on Zappe as an asset to the team. He might continue to develop, perhaps into a quality #2. So, I would expect Zappe t be our #3, and certainly have an opportunity to fight for reps during Training Camp.

Joining the convo late, and this might have been discussed at length, but the only way I see Daniels and Odunze as a possibility is a trade with the Cardinals to get 3 and 17. Might have to trade up from 17 to get Odunze. Would love to get those two, the best OT available in round 2. Resign Onwenu, Henry, then sign Calvin Ridley or Tee Higgins.

Last edited:
QB: Daniels
RB: Stevenson
WR: Higgins
WR: Odunze
WR: Douglas
TE: Henry
LT: Late1st/2nd Rounder
LG: Strange
C: Andrews
RG: Sow
RT: Onwenu

QB: Daniels
RB: Stevenson
WR: Higgins
WR: Odunze
WR: Douglas
TE: Henry
LT: Late1st/2nd Rounder
LG: Strange
C: Andrews
RG: Sow
RT: Onwenu
Be still my heart. But how do we get Odunze and a LT. Would Odunze last until round 2? Is Higgins a deep threat?

Be still my heart. But how do we get Odunze and a LT. Would Odunze last until round 2? Is Higgins a deep threat?
Was all based on trading with Arizona and getting their two firsts. The OP said get Daniels and Odunze as a choice. That trade is the only possible way for that to happen. Then getting the T with our 2nd rounder or a small trade up.

Biggest problem - do we trust BB to pick a #1 QB?
What does he really know about evaluating college QB's? Really nothing.
It's been covered ad nauseam - he didn't like Brady coming out. He didn't see some hidden gem. It was his staff.

What he can draft are future NFL coaches. QB-turned-WR's, or media guys - Klif, O'Connell, Cassel, Edelman, Meyers, Hoyer (just wait)
"
"he didn't like Brady coming out. He didn't see some hidden gem. It was his staff." LOL.. Brady was picked 199th in the draft. Its safe to say ~ no one ~ staff, coaches, gm's, scouts ... from any of the 32 teams in the NFL liked Brady coming out. If you are hoping to find a coach that has the crystal ball that says which of these highly touted first round ranked quarterbacks will actually play to their draft position, good luck. Qbs is probably the biggest of the crapshoot postions in the draft. You just do your best evaluating and cross your fingers !!

Don't see the sense giving Cousins his market price if they're drafting a QB early.

If they're thinking Marvin Harrison or another non-QB then yes.
Harrison is going #1 or #2 dam you Zappe.j/k.

I couldn't disagree with this more. The percentage of first round QBs that are good (and this is all debatable on what is good and what isn't) is roughly 40% over the last 20 or so years. Obviously 40% is pretty low but when you look at QBs drafted outside of the first round it is significantly lower than 40%. We can't be too scared to take a QB early because we think he could end up being a bust. You can't run a football team scared of what may go wrong.
It's going be interesting to see how McCarthy looks after workouts he has the physical tools. I just didn't see a lot of Big plays from him in College. Also I am cool with Bo Nix I like his overall game and he probably won't go Top 15. I know Penix Jr have a injury history but I like. How Ewers play in the bowl game should be interesting too if he lights it up I think he comes out he's talented too. Some nice consolation QBs should be available.

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Back