• Drake Maye

Votes: 22 35.5%
  • Jayden Daniels + Roman Odunze

Votes: 25 40.3%

• Total voters

PaulThePat

Rotational Player and Threatening Starter's Job
Reaction score
Was thinking about this one. I've heard the Daniels scenario mentioned in a few places and I like the option, but could you guarantee it - that would be my issue. On the other hand if Williams and Maye are just flat out better then maybe you worry about a WR later.

Take the Quarterback.

I would go one step further. I'd trade up with Chicago to secure the number 1 overall pick if we wind up with the 2nd overall (They have Carolinas first round pick). Nip those claim jumpers also looking for a QB in the bud.

play sack jones next year let him take the weekly beatings while we continue to rebuild, then jettison him after your rookie has a red shirt season.

RtZW.gif

Take the Quarterback.

I would go one step further. I'd trade up with Chicago to secure the number 1 overall pick if we wind up with the 2nd overall (They have Carolinas first round pick). Nip those claim jumpers also looking for a QB in the bud.

play sack jones next year let him take the weekly beatings while we continue to rebuild, then jettison him after your rookie has a red shirt season.
If not for the premature evacuation of Brady they could have taken a QB in last year's draft (I think it turned out to be better than the Jones' year) and the possible replacement could be playing now.

I always like more picks, which gives the team more chances in a lottery-like draft. But the team needs to hit on a fair amount and haven't been. It's at the point now where we're looking at a 6th or 7th round WR and thinking he has to replace the top WR drafted.

Isnt Williams a version of Mac Jones with the crying and the other stuff?

Plus, he is a USC QB.

I don't think anybody is passing on Caleb Williams so if he is there, they take him. Should they? Probably. Peyton Manning, Andrew Luck, Trevor Lawrence and Caleb Williams. Those are the last 4 "generational" college QB's. Thus, odds are high you would get a franchise QB, if you don't take him and he becomes what the scouts say, and your QB chosen does not, well look at the Panthers, you'd be fired.

Take the Quarterback.

I'd take the QB but trade or cut Mac. Get a vet QB who can play until the rookie is ready. I'd prefer Cousins of the vet free agents, but would be okay with someone else for a short term.

I'd take the QB but trade or cut Mac. Get a vet QB who can play until the rookie is ready. I'd prefer Cousins of the vet free agents, but would be okay with someone else for a short term.
Don't see the sense giving Cousins his market price if they're drafting a QB early.

If they're thinking Marvin Harrison or another non-QB then yes.

Take the Quarterback.

I think if you have your franchise QB, you have to just start playing him right away

I'm not sold on Williams and Maye is Mitchell Trubisky, take Harrison Jr and sign a vet QB, lets see what happens when you actually have a WR1 in your offense!

If you've got #1 or #2, I think you take the QB. If you've got 3, 4, or 5 (and both Williams and Maye are gone), I think you take Harrison or one of the tackles.

This offense needs all three: QB, OL, and weapons, and a blue chip is going to available. Gotta take one. If it's the latter, and you've got like the 35th pick in the 2nd round, you're in striking distance to move back into the first if someone like Daniels falls.

Sadly, the roster is so lacking, one premium player will not transform this team.
Factor in the high number of NE free agents who might simply move on to teams with brighter futures.

And lets not ignore certain realties:

Premium free agents tend not to sign on with 2 win teams with sub-JAG QBs
Premium free agents tend not to sign on with teams who deploy aging place-holder QBs unable to secure long term contracts because they have proven time and time again they suck
Premium free agents tend not to sign on with teams who trot out rookie QBs who will spend 3/4's of training camp tossing behind-the-line-of-scrimmage screen passes
Premium free agents tend not to sign on with teams whose coaching staff was just cobbled together by the new HC who has never had a football job title above "assistant coach"
Then there's the issue of the owner and his reluctance to pry open the check book, even for a QB who brought him to 9 SBs.

My point:
Too many gaping holes
More gaping holes are likely to appear this off season
The team is not in a position to attract true difference makers (yet)
And if you were Kraft, would you really go on a spending binge with a rookie HC in charge with no track record of success?

Given the complete lack of talent, I would look to trade back a few slots and seek future #1's plus whatever they can amass.
This is a long term rebuild, as awful as that sounds.
And this keyboard GM makes OL the priority.

Unless they are in love with Maye or Williams, they probably should at least consider trading back and see what the trade offers are. This team is far from one QB away from being a playoff contender and you can risk ruining the QB if you play him with what the Patriots might have.

If you trade back, there is a chance you could get three Pro Bowlers/All Pros in exchange (potentially one of them being a QB). That is what the Dolphins did by trading back the third pick. The Bears traded back and didn't draft a QB and are in position right now to have either Maye or Williams because of it.

A lot of it depends on what they do in free agency and whether they strongly believe either Williams or Maye are potential HOFers. But I think a lot teams who bust out with a high QB draft pick do so not because they had convictions that the QB they drafted high was going to be great, but they feel they had to draft a QB high and they drafted the best available.

I don't think anybody is passing on Caleb Williams so if he is there, they take him. Should they? Probably. Peyton Manning, Andrew Luck, Trevor Lawrence and Caleb Williams. Those are the last 4 "generational" college QB's. Thus, odds are high you would get a franchise QB, if you don't take him and he becomes what the scouts say, and your QB chosen does not, well look at the Panthers, you'd be fired.

My biggest hesitation on the guy now is that we just have been through a QB who lacked emotional maturity. Now Williams has faced far more adversity than Mac did in college, but the fact he broke down sobbing in the stands with his mother scares me a bit. And of course his size is a concern.

But that brings us to the difference between Williams and Manning/Luck/Lawrence. Physically, the later three were prototypical NFL QB. Williams, on the other hand, is very short. Doesn't mean he cannot be a generational talent, but it definitely makes him different from the other guys.

Caleb Williams is closer to Jamarcus Russell or Ryan less than the QBs you named.

Sadly, the roster is so lacking, one premium player will not transform this team.
Factor in the high number of NE free agents who might simply move on to teams with brighter futures.

And lets not ignore certain realties:

Premium free agents tend not to sign on with 2 win teams with sub-JAG QBs
Premium free agents tend not to sign on with teams who deploy aging place-holder QBs unable to secure long term contracts because they have proven time and time again they suck
Premium free agents tend not to sign on with teams who trot out rookie QBs who will spend 3/4's of training camp tossing behind-the-line-of-scrimmage screen passes
Premium free agents tend not to sign on with teams whose coaching staff was just cobbled together by the new HC who has never had a football job title above "assistant coach"
Then there's the issue of the owner and his reluctance to pry open the check book, even for a QB who brought him to 9 SBs.

My point:
Too many gaping holes
More gaping holes are likely to appear this off season
The team is not in a position to attract true difference makers (yet)
And if you were Kraft, would you really go on a spending binge with a rookie HC in charge with no track record of success?

Given the complete lack of talent, I would look to trade back a few slots and seek future #1's plus whatever they can amass.
This is a long term rebuild, as awful as that sounds.
And this keyboard GM makes OL the priority.
They have 100 million in cap space. The roster as is would be a winning team with an adequate QB. This should be about turning it around in 2024.

From Tankathon, I think there's 3 options.
1) Draft Daniels/Maye/Williams high, spend FA and draft on O talent, fill in as needed on D, and hope the QB develops.

2) Draft Harrison R1. Sign Cousins, Tannehill or Mayfield. (Mayfield yuck) Draft McCarthy, Penix, Nix or Ewers R2 and pray that one of them is NFL level. Fix OL. Status quo on D. This to me seems the most likely quick fix. Mayfield is probably the cheapest and least desirable option, but offers the most roster flexibility, cap wise.

3)Trade down from 2-3 to 10-12, gain multiple high round picks over 2024 and 2025. From there, take best OT. Follow steps in #2, minus the addition of Harrison.

It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
Back