Welcome to PatsFans.com

Toughest contenders

Discussion in 'NFL Football Forum' started by rhodeislandpatsfan, Oct 25, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rhodeislandpatsfan

rhodeislandpatsfan Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

I know every team is allowed to have an "off" week but IMO the best contenders of the league didn't appear to be world beaters.

I notice everyone is dying to hand an undefeated season to the Packers but that squad does remotely resemble the dominance of the '07 Pats

If Baltimore proved that Flacco is not ready step up and their defense, although very good is not good enough to overcome their offensive short-comings.

San Diego will always have Norv, enough said!
    Jets......see above!

I don't think Dallas' rookie RB will put up 256 every week which is crucial to Romo success.

Pittsburgh, check back sunday night!
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2011
  2. BradyManny

BradyManny Rookie

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

This is a very odd season so far - and given the shortened offseason I'm not surprised.

We've seen the wheels fall off one AFC titan. Some of the other perennial contenders have been inconsistent (Pittsburgh). Meanwhile you now have a few potential dark horses hanging around - Oakland, Cincy, Buffalo.

I really think that the Patriots can firmly separate themselves from the pack if they win this weekend in Pittsburgh & then in the Meadowlands on 11/13. Even moreso than last year - there are no other truly elite teams in the AFC. The Pats might be the only one - if their offense can stay elite, and their defense continues to improve at the pace at which it is getting better right now.

Naturally, Baltimore scares most pats fans if we have to face them in the offseason. But after last nite's performance in Jacksonville, they look a little less daunting.

The NFC has a bunch of teams who fit the blueprint of teams that can give the Patriots problems. Of course the Packers are scary - but the Giants, Cowboys, Lions all have the aggressive front lines that can get pressure with a 4 man rush against our smaller OL and could derail this team in a Super Bowl match.

But that's a problem I'd love to be worrying about in February.
  3. groundgame

groundgame Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

1. Pittsburg; 2. New York Jets (best overall full coaching staff in AFC); 3. Baltimore (in spite of last night / gimme an excellent defense over excellent offense).
  4. everlong

everlong Rookie

Ratings:
    +29 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

#12 Jersey
    Not that it will hold up but if the playoffs started today the Ravens would be the 7 seed and the Jets the 9 seed making them spectators for the post season.
  5. RIpats88

RIpats88 Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

if the Patriots Defense can build upon the last couple games and become middle of the pack, I think we have a good chance to take the AFC

alot of the top teams in the AFC for whatever reason seem to have taken a step back from the past year...the pats are essentially the same(although more commitment to the running game this year)
  6. PATSYLICIOUS

PATSYLICIOUS Rookie

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

#12 Jersey
    The Packers and Saints worry me the most, thankfully we'd only have to face 1 at most.

Our offense is so much more dynamic this year, and Waters makes our interior OL so much harder to penetrate. If we swallow our pride and are willing to run the ball no defense can hold us down for 4 quarters. Even the Ravens and Jets I can see us having great success against and their offenses are good matchups for our D. Regardless of what people say, I still view those teams as good matchups as long as we don't play into their gameplans - get one dimensional on offense and leave our defense out to dry.

Rodgers and Brees both scare the crap out of me, and I wouldn't be comfortable against either regardless of how big a lead we may get.
  7. gmtaxi27

gmtaxi27 Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

I think the only team that scares me is the Jets. They seem to match up well against us, and do seem to confuse Brady more than any other team. Pittsburgh is a close 2nd because of Big Ben. Even though we have Pitt's number, Big Ben has tremendous heart and won't go down easy.

I am not putting anyone in the NFC, because if we get there I will be real happy. Of course I want to win it all, but if we somehow fall short to Green Bay or the Saints I won't be devestated.
  8. ALP

ALP Rookie

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

i think if we were to draw a match against either GB or NO, we would see a game played by the Pats defense like we havnt seen in a LONG time, one that would go down as one of BB's greatest games much like that colts playoff game w/ the law-rodney switch
  9. RIpats88

RIpats88 Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

ya, personally I want to see us hammer the Jets at home before i'm comfortable with them...same with the steelers even though we seem to have their number....Even though IMO, the Jets look like they took a step backwards this year, beating the Jets a 2nd time would really hammer in that we are better than them this year
  10. PATRIOTSFANINPA

PATRIOTSFANINPA Rookie

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

Some could say that this years Raven's defense is similar to the Ravens D of thier 2000 Championship Year.

That defense won the title and thier offense in 2000 was worse than this year's team....They won a title with Trent freaking Dilfer for Heaven's Sake

Don't discount the Ravens by last night's game....the Ravens and Packers seem to be the teams with the best chance to get to the SB at this point IMO.

The Pats could be dangerous if the D continues to improve.....it HAS to improve....and we also need continued balance of run and pass as well.
  11. RIpats88

RIpats88 Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

Im just not sold on the ravens...their Defense is great, but Im not sure they can cover up for how horrible flacco is in the playoffs
  12. patsinthesnow

patsinthesnow PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

#87 Jersey
    The 2nd best team in the AFC IMO (right now) is the Bills. 3rd in PPG, 15th in passing yards, 4th in rushing yards. Balanced, strong offense.

Defense, weak yardage wise, 31st NFL, 23rd points, however they lead the league in takeaways. They are similar to the Pats. Wins against Pats, Chiefs, Raiders, Eagles, 3 point losses to Bengals/Giants.
  13. JoeSixPat

JoeSixPat Rookie

Ratings:
    +24 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

Pretty much every strong team has some weaknesses or lapses

Some coaches are better than others at covering those up

Some coaches are better than others at exploiting those weaknesses

Some teams are better at rising to the occasion when the stakes are highest

Some teams will suffer key injuries and may or may not see their roster depth carry the day

Some teams that may not appear strongest now will develop further and peak at just the right time, with good health and good coaching making all the difference.

In my opinion, while positioning for playoff contention is becoming increasingly important as of Week 8, what matter most is the health and development of any team that makes the playoffs.

Once the playoffs start, the season starts fresh. Every team is 0-0 and while home field may help, playing on the road or against any particular opponent will not be a factor for a Championship caliber team.

There's always a certain amount of luck to be sure - from errant referee calls to the simple fact that the funny shaped ball can bounce in strange ways - but the teams that are healthy and peaking at the right time are the ones to be most concerned about.

And as of now we have no clue who those teams might be.
  14. RodThePat

RodThePat Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

This isn't the same league as it was in 2000. Never mind the fact that Baltimore's defense this season isn't anywhere near what it was in their Super Bowl run, in today's NFL you absolutely HAVE to score points to win games. No matter how good your defense is, an above average offense with a capable QB is a good bet to put 24+ points on you every time out. The Ravens won't get anywhere with an offense that inept.
  15. juny

juny Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

#12 Jersey
    Steelers, Jets, Ravens are the only teams in the AFC with a good enough defense to give the Pats trouble. It would be sweet to see the Pats this weekend and sweep the Jets later in the season.

I do like the Pats defense progressing. I hope this will be a special year.
  16. Uncle Rico

Uncle Rico Rookie

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

#70 Jersey
    Sad thing is, more I see of other teams, the better the Jets look.

Though they still scuk.
  17. r3pnit

r3pnit Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

only teams that I wish we played in the regular season are the packers, ravens, or saints... so we can see how we would match up if we had to play them in the playoffs
  18. Sean Pa Patriot

Sean Pa Patriot Rookie

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

#12 Jersey
    we can beat pitt,,, its jets and baltimore.. the jets are michael myers they wont go away... baltimore defense is tough...
  19. Wides

Wides Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

You can not defeat them.
    [​IMG]
  20. Mogamedogz

Mogamedogz Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

As of THIS MOMENT... I do not have any faith what so ever that our boys could beat either GB or N.O.

The AFC is certainly wide open though.
  21. silenthuntr7

silenthuntr7 Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

Personally, I feel like there is no elite team in the AFC, ATM. This weekend proved that anyone could beat anyone else, and no-one is clearly a step ahead (my definition of elite).

I think the Patriots have as good a chance as anyone in the AFC, though. And in a one-game situation like the superbowl, we have as good a chance as anyone, because of BB and Brady.
  22. RIpats88

RIpats88 Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

I think the Pats are better suited to beat a Defense like the Ravens/Jets now than they were in their losses.

alot having to do with our commitment to the run this year. in 09 we couldnt run at all, and in 10 for whatever reason, abandoned it against the jets

we saw against the jets the ground and pound that wore them down and then allows brady to use that play action pass that he's so deadly with
  23. PATRIOTSFANINPA

PATRIOTSFANINPA Rookie

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

The Pats probably have the easiest schedule in the league after Thanksgiving

If they don't take care of the Sisters Of The Poor and sweep away all scrub teams enroute to at least a #2 seed and a bye,they won't belong as a contender.

Aside from Washington in that last few weeks which could be this years upset stinker,it looks like a cakewalk if they do what they are capable of,at least on offense.

The team should be 12-4 or 13-3 by the playoffs
  24. TBradyOwnsYou

TBradyOwnsYou Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

Really? Christian Ponder's first start ever with virtually no receiving core and a secondary filled with high school players against Rodgers who played using a cheat code called "I don't miss. No really, I don't" and yet he only lost by 6. New Orleans has also shown to be beatable, yet you think we would stand no chance? Don't get me wrong, in theory the Pats vs either of those teams could end up 70-70 with a last minute field goal winning it, but I just don't see how we don't stack up with them.

I'd say the 49ers could have an easier schedule: Rams, @Cardinals, Steelers, @Seahawks, @Rams.
    We have: Colts, @Redskins, @Broncos, Dolphins, Bills.
    Close, real close... definitely both nice schedules to end though.

Fun side laugh:
    Cleveland:Ravens, @Steelers, @Cardinals, @Ravens, Steelers
  25. rhodeislandpatsfan

rhodeislandpatsfan Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

that Green Bay game was the reason I started the thread. If the Pats D continues to progress, this team has a legitimate chance of having special season.

As Pats fans its a different feel when they win with balance pass/run, it keeps them under the radar. As much as I Like when the unleash the beast Brady. I'll take it, reminds me of the first three years of the run when all you heard was the were lucky.....That worked out pretty good!
  26. Mogamedogz

Mogamedogz Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

Sorry. I just dont see it. Not right now. Maybe that changes if/when our D# improves.
  27. BradyManny

BradyManny Rookie

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

As awful as our defense was in the first four weeks - it showed huge improvements in the last two, and there's reason to believe it's not an aberration (change in scheme = more zone coverage; personnel getting healthy; guys like Spikes, Haynesworth, etc. on the field; guys like Carter becoming more acclimated to the system).

Not to mention, even when this Defense started out as record setting bad, it made clutch plays all the while. The ability to make plays and make stops when it matters is a huge thing.
    Last edited: Oct 26, 2011
  28. JackBauer

JackBauer Rookie

Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

Please tell me this is some attempt at humor?
  29. folamzz

folamzz Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

The thing about baltimore and the jets is that they play with so much emotion. If they get up for a particular game, they can beat anybody. Remember that game at baltimore 07 when lewis was able to rile up his players around the death of sean taylor, and they almost beat us, even though they were a 5-11 team?

Baltimore and the jets are a serious threat to beat us, but not necessarily to win the superbowl. They will get up to beat us, but have a let down the following week.
  30. robbomango

robbomango Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

N.O and GB with 2 of the best QB's in the league would be my vote.

A game against the Saints could boil down to whomever has the last possession, similar to how they played the colts in 09(minus mannings pick 6:p)

I haven't seen Rogders in many close games so I'm not sure how the same situation as above would play out. If BB contains GB's offense for 3 qtrs can Rodgers explode in the 4th in a big game? idk
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.