PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Torrey Smith's facemask on TD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for bringing this up. I was shocked that the TV announcers didn't even mention it and more shocked that the refs didn't call it. I mean, the dude carried McCourty into the endzone by his facemask!

I've never seen that called for a penalty in my life, at least not that I can recall.

Definitely surprised Nantz and Sims didn't even mention it. Remember that the ref can't call the penalty based on the review, though, so if they missed it on the field because of a bad angle or something, oh well, that's officiating a fast game for ya.

Man! I'm glad I'm not the only one who noticed this obvious offensive facemask.

First of all, it's incredibly rare that they call it-- but they probably should more often.

Great question on the spot of enforcement... I was too nervous at the time to get that far into my thought process.

Both teams got away with some stuff yesterday. Same thing in the other game. Refs are letting them play.

Both teams got away with some stuff yesterday. Same thing in the other game. Refs are letting them play.

That's great and all but obvious personal fouls should still be called. Agree?

Definitely surprised Nantz and Sims didn't even mention it. Remember that the ref can't call the penalty based on the review, though, so if they missed it on the field because of a bad angle or something, oh well, that's officiating a fast game for ya.

I'm not, those two are brain dead. Simms seems to get dumber with each passing day. Awful announcers, thankfully they're not doing the Super Bowl.

It was the Eagles/Giants game that the Eagles won with Vince Young starting.

The Eagles were backed up in their own end zone, and Jackson caught a 48-yard pass. As he went out of bounds, he tossed the ball to Perry Fewell (Giants DC) and was flagged for taunting.

Most people assumed it was a dead ball foul and would be enforced as such, but the officials decided it happened during the play, and called the entire thing back, half the distance to the goal, etc.

I thought that was because the Giants also had a penalty and the two offset.

Someone with tweetablity ( Is that even a word?) should tweet one of the mediots and have them put that question to Mike Pereira. Also, biggest question...why wasn't it called....It was obvious on replays and it wasn't like it was a momentary hold and let go.

Tweeted!

Also, wouldn't it be 1st and goal from the 24 (if it was set at the spot of foul) as opposed to 1st and 10?

That was in a point of emphasis memo put out by the NFL..

NFL to broaden enforcement of facemasking rule

An "Officiating Department Media Guide" distributed by the NFL says: "It is a foul when a player grasps the facemask and twists, turns, or pulls it. This applies to all players, and runners and tacklers are to be treated identically when this occurs."

Last edited:
if a facemask flag were to be thrown on that play, it would be 15 yards from the original line of scrimmage and replay the down.....just as it is with any other facemask

Missing the tying FG was poetic justice then :D

That was in a point of emphasis memo put out by the NFL..

NFL to broaden enforcement of facemasking rule

An "Officiating Department Media Guide" distributed by the NFL says: "It is a foul when a player grasps the facemask and twists, turns, or pulls it. This applies to all players, and runners and tacklers are to be treated identically when this occurs."

Wow! My wife was dead right then. I'm humiliated.
Thanks for the rule info.

I agree it's rarely if ever called. But then why is it a "rule"? You'd think that the competition committee would either eliminate it or today "in the interest of player safety" enforce it? It's stuff like this, not the crap they write about that I would like to read from a sports journalist.

Need we further proof that all these new rules/points of emphasis have been enacted/enforced
less for reasons of player safety than for the fact that chicks dig the long ball?

Wow! My wife was dead right then. I'm humiliated.
Thanks for the rule info.

Same here. My wife asked me, "Isn't that a facemask penalty?" I told her know because that offensive players could do stiff arms and face mask behavior.

Status
Not open for further replies.

2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
Back