PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

tom curran on nest

Status
Not open for further replies.
SoonerPatriot said:
Hate? He's using the same rationale some of the people on this board do when they say it's no big deal that we'll lose him and that we can just plug any old stiff in and get the same results. Its not personal, ITS JUST BUSINESS.
Personally i haven't seen anyone say they can easily replace Adams production and if someone said that i would call them a liar and say who would be able to?

Patjew said:
Will you say the same thing when BB leaves? Just curious.
He's never quit as a HC for more money, has he ?

SeanBruschi54 said:
Personally i haven't seen anyone say they can easily replace Adams production and if someone said that i would call them a liar and say who would be able to?

Go back and read some of the older threads from earlier in the week and last. Every time someone leaves there's usually 2 or 3 people who begin their massive rationalization orgy. It usually goes: "Givens was an okay player, but when you think about it, what did he really ever do for us." or..."Vinatieri made some clutch kicks, but hes overpaid and he's never really been that good on kickoffs" etc., etc. etc.

Again, not saying we should over pay for these players. But at the same time, lets not undestate their importance. If a Colts fan came on this board and took a shot at Givens 2 months ago, there would be a cyber lynch mob. Now, Givens is a stiff. I hate that front runner mentality.

BelichickFan said:

Well, didn't Bob Kraft pay him more than he would have made in NY?? ;)

I know it was the lack of stability in the Jets organization that caused him to resign.....

BelichickFan said:
I don't think I even hinted at that. I just asked about BB as a hypothetical because of your screen name. Like if he got sick of it here and made a lateral move, would you write him off.

Nevah mind.

SoonerPatriot said:
Go back and read some of the older threads from earlier in the week and last. Every time someone leaves there's usually 2 or 3 people who begin their massive rationalization orgy. It usually goes: "Givens was an okay player, but when you think about it, what did he really ever do for us." or..."Vinatieri made some clutch kicks, but hes overpaid and he's never really been that good on kickoffs" etc., etc. etc.

Again, not saying we should over pay for these players. But at the same time, lets not undestate their importance. If a Colts fan came on this board and took a shot at Givens 2 months ago, there would be a cyber lynch mob. Now, Givens is a stiff. I hate that front runner mentality.
I dont have time to go searching through threads to see who said what.

The Givens stuff i can understand since we basically had a plug and go team for a long while. But Adam has been the best kicker in the league for years you cant just replace a position that all it depends on is kicking.

I would like to know who made those comments as well.

SeanBruschi54 said:
I've said it.

Last year Adam was 20/25 in the regular season. Replace that with a league worst 15/25 kicker. That costs us 15 points in the season, 1 point per game. Easily replaced.

Now, can his clutch kicking be replaced ? We won't know that until the time comes but Adam has not been as automatic as some believe, missing two FG (one blocked) in SB 38 and another in the Denver game this year.

Patjew said:
I don't think I even hinted at that. I just asked about BB as a hypothetical because of your screen name. Like if he got sick of it here and made a lateral move, would you write him off.
Thanfully it's hypothetical and I think this will be his last NFL HC job.

BelichickFan said:
I've said it.

Last year Adam was 20/25 in the regular season. Replace that with a league worst 15/25 kicker. That costs us 15 points in the season, 1 point per game. Easily replaced.

Now, can his clutch kicking be replaced ? We won't know that until the time comes but Adam has not been as automatic as some believe, missing two FG (one blocked) in SB 38 and another in the Denver game this year.
Theres no way. Adams one bad season topped most of the league. I know it could be an indication of things to come but his production is priceless.

15 points could be the cost of 3 or so games lost by 3 or less points (see Dallas last season). And why did you divide a 15 points by 16 games? You cant divide 3 point kicks!

As mad as I am about the Willie situation, everything I have read makes me put this on Adam.

I have read that the Pats offered him a contract that would KEEP him the highest paid kicker in the NFL.

Ohh but it wasn't gauranteed. He is a Kicker, not a safety!

The impression I have gotten from Adam after every interview is that he is set on leaving. I almost think he will take less money elsewhere.

He will always be a star in the New England area. But after this, I believe that star won't shine as brightly as it could have, or once did. And not as bright as Willie Macs, atleast not to me anyway!

As I posted before, I met his father in law a couple years ago when Adam was in his contract year. When I was introduced to him i found it odd that the very next sentance after introducing himself, he said Adam was getting ready to be a free agent. Right off the bat. It was obvious something Adam must have talked about a lot.

To bad he won't be back. Another one of the all time greats to put on a Patriot uniform.

But to me, what is different between him and McGinnest is that Adam has been offered fair market value.

Willie (as far as I know) was never made an offer!

Last edited:
Most of us will never REALLY know what has been said between the Pats and these players. I think Givens decided that money was more important than rings. I think the Pats believed that Willie has 2 decent years left, but not worth the money he wanted for those 2 years. I think that AV is being a complete a**hole to the Pats. The key point of these statements is that they all start with "I think..." I don't REALLY know what happened in any of these situations--but I'd like to find out. Especially with Adam, because I have no idea what he thinks he's worth and why he won't finish his career with an organization that has allowed him to become a HOF kicker. We can't keep guessing why this guys are leaving ($$ for the most of them) but let's just see how this plays out. I have to think that there is a plan B to all of this.

SeanBruschi54 said:
Theres no way. Adams one bad season topped most of the league. I know it could be an indication of things to come but his production is priceless.
It wasn't one bad season.

He's had two years at 90% or better and one at 86%. Other than that he's a high 70s to low 80s kicker just like last year. Seven years between 77.1 and 81.8 and that's for a guy who doesn't try a lot from 50+.

http://cbs.sportsline.com/nfl/players/playerpage/1392

BelichickFan said:
It wasn't one bad season.

He's had two years at 90% or better and one at 86%. Other than that he's a high 70s to low 80s kicker just like last year. Seven years between 77.1 and 81.8 and that's for a guy who doesn't try a lot from 50+.

http://cbs.sportsline.com/nfl/players/playerpage/1392
But throughout those seasons he has been the most consistent kicker in the league. Unlike most who can have bad game after bad game. Adam usually had one and then moved on.

He was always dependable when needing the kick. i know it goes back to the cluthc argument but it still is a part of his ability.

After one of the superbowl wins he was being interviewed and I remember
him giving lots of credit to the players but little if any to Bill Belichick.
maybe I read things wrong but I've had a feeling he has had some grudge
about something for some time. Maybe it was the way Milloy was let go.
Maybe this is his pay back time. I really think it is something like that.

If he does leave it will be interesting to hear his commnets.

Last edited:
SeanBruschi54 said:
But throughout those seasons he has been the most consistent kicker in the league. Unlike most who can have bad game after bad game. Adam usually had one and then moved on.

He was always dependable when needing the kick. i know it goes back to the cluthc argument but it still is a part of his ability.
I can't argue the clutch thing, although he has a few more playoff misses than people remember. And I'll give you that the AFCE isn't the easiest place to kick - in fact it's one of the toughest.

But 80%, his median season, was good for 20th in the league this year.

I once remember Adam complaining that Bill made him eat his carrots and pick up his room - no wonder he wants to run away from home.

It almost seems like Law, Milloy, Bledsoe, and Vinatieri may have had a little clique that fed each other's sense negativity and greed. They all insisted on being the highest paid at their positions and getting their egos stroked. Probably doesn't sit well with Vinatieri that Belichick doesn't kiss his butt, instead saying stuff like, "When I send the kicker on the field, I expect him to make the kick, otherwise I wouldn't kick it." I would note that Belichick almost never sent Vinatieri on the field over 40 yards this season. He usually punted the ball or went for it on fourth down.

Last edited:
sarge said:
But to me, what is different between him and McGinnest is that Adam has been offered fair market value.

I agree with what you've said about Adam but I wanted to highlight this portion because not only has Adam been offered "fair market value", he has been the highest paid kicker the last couple of seasons and he was offered a contract that would keep him at that. That's not just fair market value, that's above and beyond it in my opinion.

So, why hasn't he signed with GB already?? I mean its been twoi nights and one day in GB. Maybe they wont overpay him or give him the guarantees he seeks??

fgssand said:
So, why hasn't he signed with GB already?? I mean its been twoi nights and one day in GB. Maybe they wont overpay him or give him the guarantees he seeks??

I don't know. I could take the better part of two nights to drive him around in the corporate minivan and show him all the bright lights and nighlife in Green Bay.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News