Welcome to PatsFans.com

Tom Brady/Matt Cassel. Doesn't matter.

Discussion in 'The Practice Squad' started by ShrewBeer, Oct 12, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ShrewBeer

ShrewBeer Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

Tom Brady/Matt Cassel. Doesnt matter. All I see is threads about Matt Cassel. You think brady would have saved us from the beating we took from miami? Not possible. Think brady could save us from the beating we took from san diego? Not possible.
    Yeah, Cassel sucks balls. No question about it. But do you all really believe that a good qb can save you from a defensive massacre? From an o-line that looks like they all got the flu? Hell, even welker is dropping passes, and Bill isnt adjusting.
    This entire team has problems. Dont think your hero's return could magically make it all better.
  2. dtbrks

dtbrks Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Re: Tom Brady/Matt Cassel. Doesnt matter.

Yes I do.. at first I didn't think so, but sorry, he is THAT GOOD. He is a game changer, period.
    Would they be perfect, no.. but 12-4, yes and superbowl favorite, maybe
    Last edited: Oct 12, 2008
  3. PATSYLICIOUS

PATSYLICIOUS Rookie

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0

#12 Jersey

You're probably going to get flamed but I agree with you or at least the concept. Brady MAY have been able to keep us in this game, he's just that good. But the Cassel bashing is totally overblown on here.

Cassel was far from good tonight but he did move the ball when we were still in the game and inept playcalling pretty much soiled any chance of coming back. Then the defense just fell apart. If Cassel deserves to be yanked so does at least 15 or so other players/coaches.
  4. WeezyFbaby

WeezyFbaby Rookie

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

buddy if tom brady were in the game the defense wouldnt be on the field for the entire game and he could actually put up points remember they averaged 34 points last year... that by my count would put us up by 5 not down by 20.

Stupid thread. Mods lock
  5. CheerforTom

CheerforTom Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

I'm still not supporting yanking Cassel but saying this had nothing to do with him is ridiculous. It took him until halfway through the 4th quarter on a turnover to put more than 3 points on the board. That isn't acceptable and it wouldn't have been even if the D played well.
  6. NJPatsfan26

NJPatsfan26 Rookie

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

Yeah good point here. This loss isnt Cassel's fault. We loss as a team....plain and simple.

We need a good week of practice and review.
  7. dtbrks

dtbrks Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I'll add more.
    When the team went down at the start of the second half and missed the TD on 4 tries, IF Brady is there, do they score and cut it to 7, thereby changing the entire game? I believe so
  8. DocE

DocE Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

Could Brady have saved this team tonight? Probably not. That said, Cassel missed Randy Moss on TWO touchdowns on drives that the Patriots ended up not scoring on. If he connects on those throws, throws a below average QB should make, the game would have been different.

It doesn't make up for the horrible pass rush/pass coverage, but completing those passes and putting those points on the board would have at least given the Patriots a chance to stay close. There is a LONG list of QB's who complete those two passes, and Cassel isn't on it.
  9. HEY BRO! WHAT UP?

HEY BRO! WHAT UP? Banned

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

First of all I agree with you that the defense sucks ass. The secondary is subpar at best and the front seven can't put pressure on the QB if their life depended on it. However, here is where Tom makes a difference. When the Pats score like they did last season, they can make opposing offenses change their game plan like that. The opposing offenses will have to go the pass which the D will know and allow them to tee off on the QB. Since the Pats can't score, opposing offenses can do whatever they want and keep the Pats defense on their heels. Because the Pats aren't very atheletic on defense they can't put pressure on the QB until it's obvious like last season when the Pats were up 21-0 in a blink of an eye.
  10. dakevdude

dakevdude Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Your are an idiot. If Tom Brady was in the game....we would have won both games...like we won all those close games late last season.

Get some prespective. I do agree with you that Cassel suck balls...
  11. Sivy

Sivy Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

Yes, with Tom Brady this team is 5-o right now. I belive that a good leader can make his entire team better.
  12. PatriotsReign

PatriotsReign Rookie

Ratings:
    +37 / 0 / -7

You're definately on target dtbrks!

We'd be 5-0 had Brady not been injured. San Diego didn't look great tonight...we just looked that bad.

Of course one of the best QB's in history changes everything about a team...even how the defense plays. Brady changes the personna of the team and every player on the team. Anyone who had played organized football on a team with a really good QB knows it makes the entire team kokkcy and confident.
    Last edited: Oct 13, 2008
  13. nORRis8

nORRis8 Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Agree 100% and not just because we're both from Alberta.

If you have a QB that enjoys throwing the ball at his Centers ankles every 3rd play, ya, I think our D will be seeing alot of playing time.
  14. dtbrks

dtbrks Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

He is (or was) the heart of this team. I know it's a team game, but he was the heart of the offense and his play made our D better because other teams had to keep or play catch up
  15. WeezyFbaby

WeezyFbaby Rookie

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

Listen. the difference with Brady is he can move the chains. He keeps opposing teams defences on the field and wears them down that is what gives the pats the edge. We would be 5-0 with him in the lineup. NO doubt. even if the d gives up 30 points with tom and the offense im positive they could put up more
  16. WeezyFbaby

WeezyFbaby Rookie

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

Haha thats awesome Pats nation is global
    AB represent haha
  17. MoLewisrocks

MoLewisrocks PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +29 / 0 / -0

Cassel didn't miss Moss by any more than Brady would have. The $9M didn't make a play all night. Three catachable balls that a pro bowl WR is supposed to make the play on...Moss simply didn't make those plays. Just like he didn't make his only play from Brady this season. And two of them would have been game changers.

He is not the same player as he was the first 3 months of last season. Just go check the film. And given the inconsistency of this OL and their capacity to get physically over run up the middle as well as beaten by speed/edge rushers - that $9M player better catch everything within reach. I seriously hope we aren't seeing Dillon redux. It's not attitude per se, he looks physically cooked in one on one matchups...
  18. DocE

DocE Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

Wow this is a ridiculous post. Did you not see Randy Moss run past both of the Niners best corners on the same play last week? Maybe you missed him run past Quentin Jammer and Antonio Cromartie this week?

You lost any credibility with that post. I'd take your own advice and watch some film.
  19. dakevdude

dakevdude Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Ever heard of under thrown balls??? Slowing down so jammer can break up the pass is Moss' fault? What are you smoking dude?

Yeah lets disregard Cassel missing Moss twice on should have been TDs...and the TE once wide open on the one yard line because he was running around in circles like a scared little girl....
  20. dtbrks

dtbrks Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Just watched the Pats 5th quarter and Rodney is talking about the first and goal for the pats at the start of the second half..
    when they asked how they felt after they didn't score, he said "WE WERE DONE".

Brady get's that TD and Rodney KNOWS he can make plays later to keep them in it.
  21. SteveBsFan

SteveBsFan Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

The Pats secondary this year is definitely pretty bad, so it's really hard to say if the actual outcomes of the games would be different, but I know it's definitely not as simple as saying 'well Brady would have made this throw and changed this drive'.

Having a QB like Cassel opposed to a QB like Brady makes differences in so many aspects of a game. Here are a few off the top of my head..

1. Teams gameplan and prepare differently now. Now it's a lot easier for teams to prepare for the Pats. Opposing players also go into the week with a new confidence knowing they actually have a really good shot at winning.

2. Cassel throws a ton of short balls, they said something like 80% of his passes were under 10 yards. This allows defenses to creep up closer and closer making it extremely difficult to do anything against them. Defenses are also not scared to play much more aggressive than they would with Brady, so they're swamping the offensive line almost every play. Brady makes a lot of defenses stay honest.

3. A different offensive game leads to a different defensive game. Scoring more puts more pressure on the opposing offense making them try to play 'perfect' which often messes people up. Now they know they can do aggressive things like throwing it deep over and over without the fear of turning it over. Brady makes teams pay when they turn it over, so they take less chances like that.

Also, to a lesser extent and hopefully this one isn't true, players on the Pats lost their swagger. Even when they're driving down the field, the offense looks timid and scared from the QB to the receivers. Moss is dropping balls, Welker is dropping balls. It almost looks like they're already waiting for next season.

I love the Pats, but i'm confident almost everyone on that team saw any chances of winning a superbowl walk away early in week 1. I'll never stop rooting for them even if they lose every game the remainder of my life, but i'm not going to look at the QB situation through rose-colored glasses. Brady is an MVP, future hall of famer, and Cassel is a career backup at one of the most important positions in all of sports. The difference between the two and the importance of the role is a massive change for any team in any sport.

Picture Gretzky in his prime being replaced for some joe shmoe. Or Lemieux, or Jordan or Bird, etc.
  22. dtbrks

dtbrks Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Yes.. If cassel throws that ball 10 yards farther Moss blows by jammer and get's the TD... it was so obvious that he had to slow way down to even try and fool jammer.
  23. WhoaDirty

WhoaDirty Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Cassel was throwing at the center's ankles because the center didn't do jack tonight and Cassel had defenders in his face.

Brady doesn't play defense. 98 yards in 4 plays on the their first series after half.

While I wasn't entirely happy with Moss' performance, the defenders were either all over him, or played him very well. On that one-hander he almost pulled in, the DB had his other arm locked down - it should have been an interference.
  24. PATRIOT64

PATRIOT64 Rookie

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

The difference between Brady and Cassel is simple

With Brady even if the defense sucks like it does they would still have good hopes of winning shootouts like 34-31 or 30-27 ect:

No Brady - no comebacks - easy to understand

This team will NEVER win a game that they are more then 10 or more points behind from - anyone want to bet against this?
  25. WeezyFbaby

WeezyFbaby Rookie

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

my thoughts exactly. How does he look slow in one on one matchups when hes consistantly getting a step on the secondary. You are talking about the best deep threat the game has ever seen. Your comments are ridiculous. rewatch the game or highlites or something just because a ball is thrown in the general area there are defenders hes not wide open because the ball is ALWAYS overthrown.

YEs Randy Moss is done. 23 touchdowns last year hes done now. he cant run hes a grampa out there like god how dare him only have a 2 step lead on the defender then have to come back on an underthrown ball to stop an interception. god he should just like use his wings and superpowers to fly over the defender and fly into the endzone untouched. cus thats what pro bowlers do. they catch EVERYTHING no matter what. Lets put randy on Defense to cus hes a pro bowler he should be able to do anything better yet put him in at qb so he can throw it in the air then go and catch his own pass.

idiot stop posting
  26. dakevdude

dakevdude Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

100% Agreed

Give us a QB that's capable of making a comeback...Cassel is worthless...heck i knew we were in trouble when they marched down and went up a TD after that one yard line debacle by the Pats
  27. PatsFanSince74

PatsFanSince74 PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -1

I didn't see the Miami game, so I'll take a pass on that one, and I think that TB would have gotten more out of the Offense tonight no matter what. But, basically, you're right. The O line looked like it was back in the SB, the defense was embarassing downfield (where are the "Dump O'Neal" threads?), there was no running game to speak of, Special Teams were poor at best (our Punter acts like he just nailed the SB when he manages to get one punt inside the 20). The problems go way beyond Matt, but that's far too many complicated thoughts for the Cassel haters to keep in their brains at one time, so they will continue to demand his head on a platter as a cure all for what are actually a whole lot of problems.
  28. WhoaDirty

WhoaDirty Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

The Patriots had the ball more than 31 minutes tonight - how do you figure the defense was on the field the entire game?
  29. Patriot_in_NY

Patriot_in_NY Rookie

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

It's simple really.

With Brady, this team thinks it can win, and plays that way.

With Cassel they don't, and play that way

Not all the time, but certainly in the Miami and SD game. Our entire team packed it in after the missed TD, except for a 5 minutes garbage time period at the end of the game when SD was already celebrating.
  30. PATRIOT64

PATRIOT64 Rookie

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

Hell,We were in trouble the moment the Chargers went up 10-0

This team cannot EVER allow a double digit lead on its opponents this year or the game is a loss ..period,end of story
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.