PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Tom Brady, EAT THIS!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
My sister is the head of the nutrition department at a local hospital. She recommends Eat, Drink and Be Healthy by Harvard's Dr. Walter Willett as a common sense guide to healthy eating. Much of Willett's advice has been discussed in this thread already. It's really pretty simple - less simple carbohydrates (but less, he pretty much means none), more healthy fats (olive oil, seeds, nuts) in place of saturated fats, greater concentration on vegetable vs. animal sources of calories.

I'm pretty good about following this but business trips (especially client entertainment whose those who love good food and great wine) are a challenge. And then there's pre-game tailgating at Gillette which is an unmitigated nutritional disaster area which (fortunately) is limited to 8-10 epic catastrophes per year. I do my penance in the gym, but at my age, it's pretty tough to not give up ground.

Eat, Drink, and Be Healthy - Harvard Health

I maintain my weight by completely avoiding beer and bread, both of which I love. Really I avoid carbs almost completely except in wine and then small amounts in stuff like yogurt and nuts. Luckily for me I enjoy salads, chicken, salmon, eggs and nuts. Which is most of what I consume other than a **** ton of booze.

Sadly for me, beer + bread = weight gain and no beer + bread = weight loss. So I'm fit but miserable.

doctors call it white death...sugar, salt, white flour. white potatoes, white rice, white pasta. of course you can eat these but don't make it a predominant part of your diet. think green...think veggie. they tried to peg me with prediabetes and i said hell no. walking and eating better straightened that out. milk and cookies was my downfall. i went from 6ft 230 to 6ft 180 in 6 mos. and it was pretty easy.

Ive never been heavy but I was heading in that direction about 10 years ago and did the same thing you did.

I scaled back on my "whites" about 75% and upped the exercise.

Still working on scotch, beer and potato chips. I might get there in 2023. :p

I am 74 and in relatively quite good health, thank God. I eat meat at least once a day, and have my whole life. If it would boil down to a choice of 20 years more if I went vegan (or near vegan), or 15 years going this way, then I will very clearly take the latter. Food is one of the truly great joys in life. It serves (no pun intended) as more than taking in what you need in order not to die. As Jack Benny responded to the mugger who said "Your money or your life" -- "Hmmm. Let me think about that". Same goes for meat -- and not some skinny-assed, 4 oz. portion once a week.

I maintain my weight by completely avoiding beer and bread, both of which I love. Really I avoid carbs almost completely except in wine and then small amounts in stuff like yogurt and nuts. Luckily for me I enjoy salads, chicken, salmon, eggs and nuts. Which is most of what I consume other than a **** ton of booze.

Sadly for me, beer + bread = weight gain and no beer + bread = weight loss. So I'm fit but miserable.

I'm the same way. 2 years ago I've shifted to red wine. Healthier but get sleepy...

Ive never been heavy but I was heading in that direction about 10 years ago and did the same thing you did.

Alcohol is a terrible source of totally wasted calories. I have about 4 hard drinks a year, about a dozen beers a year, and about a dozen or so glasses of wine a year. (Yeah, I guess I am an alcoholic at those rates :)). I simply did not grow up in an alcohol environment and so never got into the habit. The result is low calories and a greater appreciation of it when I do have a drink. Now potato chips, OTOH, or other snacking -- well, that is much, much, much harder. I could stand to drop 20 pounds or so. Working on it.

Wine being healthier for you than beer is a myth just like most of the nutritional advice to come from research from 1970 to 2010. Almost every week now there is nutritional research being debunked as ********. We're in an age of flux right now and we've never known less except that we now know that what we did know is wrong.

I just checked mine. Lees and Perrins has 65 a tsp. On a steak, I would say I must use about 5 or 6 tsp. Hey, I think I'll stop that -- NOT!!!!
I love A1 but man....that stuff is so bad or you.

The scotch is OK!

Wine being healthier for you than beer is a myth just like most of the nutritional advice to come from research from 1970 to 2010. Almost every week now there is nutritional research being debunked as ********. We're in an age of flux right now and we've never known less except that we now know that what we did know is wrong.
I don't think wine is necessarily "healthier", but it definitely makes me less fat than beer does.

Alcohol is a terrible source of totally wasted calories. I have about 4 hard drinks a year, about a dozen beers a year, and about a dozen or so glasses of wine a year. (Yeah, I guess I am an alcoholic at those rates :)). I simply did not grow up in an alcohol environment and so never got into the habit. The result is low calories and a greater appreciation of it when I do have a drink. Now potato chips, OTOH, or other snacking -- well, that is much, much, much harder. I could stand to drop 20 pounds or so. Working on it.
Our diets are exactly the opposite! I snack on alcohol.

I don't drink my calories. At least not most of the time. I drink water with lemon in it almost exclusively. Occasionally I will have something like a kombucha (and I get a kombucha brand called LiveSoda that tastes exactly like root beer. They sell it at certain Targets, try it yourself if you don't believe me.) But Don't Drink Your Calories is a rule of thumb for me.

1. Eat what you like, just not to overwhelming excess
  2. Drink what you like, just not to overwhelming excess
  3. Exercise enough to keep your ticker happy, but don't go to overwhelming excess

As long as you don't go to extremes, your life is mostly determined by your genetics. Both history and scientific studies have demonstrated this to be true.

I don't drink my calories. At least not most of the time. I drink water with lemon in it almost exclusively. Occasionally I will have something like a kombucha (and I get a kombucha brand called LiveSoda that tastes exactly like root beer. They sell it at certain Targets, try it yourself if you don't believe me.) But Don't Drink Your Calories is a rule of thumb for me.
Yep. I always squeeze a few drops of lemon in my water as well.

11 Benefits of Lemon Water You Didn't Know About

You may be right but I would be shocked if that's true. I lived in China and have spent a lot of time in Japan and Korea. I think genetics does have something to do with it, but calories in vs calories out will always play a huge role in weight.

I think American consume a lot of hidden calories, like you say - snacking, sodas, etc.

I know it's Wikipedia and a bit old but I found this: List of countries by food energy intake - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

problem with that data is america just have too many obese people to balloon up the data. the difference is staggering too. i was a basist and i had a skinny singer and obese guitarist in my band. skinny dude was 150lb. big guy was 285lb. and big guy really isn't even all that big in american standards. 6ft 285lb 'chubby' dude. and he really eat twice more than a skinny dude. in korea, we don't have this kinda extreme.

so i would say on average, a 5ft 9 160lb korean dude will probably have similar calorie consumption compared to a 5ft 9 160lb americans. it's not gonna be 700lb calorie difference. but again, 5ft 9 160lb guy really isn't normal here. lol.

and the big difference IMO is amount of fat consumption. korean food really doesn't have much fat content compared to burgers and pizzas. a typical korean meal maybe 1000 calories, but not alot of fat. but problem with korean food is it's too spicy and very high in sodium.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand