PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Time to focus on the positives

Status
Not open for further replies.
they are 2-1 and the rest of the AFC does not look great they could go 10-6 and still win the east and get a home playoff game

they are 2-1 and the rest of the AFC does not look great they could go 10-6 and still win the east and get a home playoff game

Yeah, the only AFC team that has played consistently well so far is Cincy and they still have Andy Dalton and Marvin Lewis in the playoffs.

For all the ball washing Manning and the Broncos are getting, their offense is significantly worse than last year. Until they scored a TD in the fourth last week, they went five straight quarters without a TD. They are only averaging 3 more points a game than the Pats are. They have the 9th best scoring offense. And it isn't cold or windy yet.

This thread may be needed after Monday night if they lose to bring everyone off the bridges they will be jumping off of IF they lose.

I think the 2011 season was a great example of Patriot football. After we dropped to 5-3 and lost to the Giants, the entire football watching world gave the Patriots their eulogy (once again). The more observant of us saw, even in a loss, the defense starting to make some strides. Of course, there's nothing about the media that's observant in the least.

The Patriots dropped off everyone's radar. We were old news, no longer the prettiest girl at the dance, but while the nation was focused on all their new darlings, New England started quietly putting together a winning streak. IIRC, that Giants game was the last loss of our regular season.

We went to the Superbowl that year.

No team in the NFL transforms itself by post-Thanksgiving football like New England does.

This thread may be needed after Monday night if they lose to bring everyone off the bridges they will be jumping off of IF they lose.
I'm actually going to take "the gun to the head" approach instead of the "jumping off a bridge" approach if they lose. Of course I will be wearing my #81 jersey at the time.

Last edited:
People forget that the Pats were two failed goal line drives from blowing out the Raiders. Yes, the fact that the Pats failed on the goal-line is disconcerting, but you can blame one drive failing on a muffed snap, Brady throwing the ball a bit better to Amendola (or Amendola a little faster on his route whichever way you look at it), and not calling Vereen to run the ball on the goal-line and trip on himself. If the Pats converted both those X and goal at the 2-3, the Pats would have won 24-9.

Yes, I know they didn't, but the goal-line stuff can be fixed especially as Gronk gets healthy.

Also, the Pats did better vs. the Vikes than the Saints did (and the Saints were at home). The Saints were barely holding onto the lead going into the 4th quarter (13-9). And the Saints rushed for 108 yards for 3.4 YPC against the Vikes when the Pats ran for 150 with 4.1 YPC. The Vikes have a good defense (their offense sucks) and the Pats scored more points against them offense than the Saints did.

BTW, this is supposed to be a positive thread.
Sorry didn't mean to try to change the tide of the thread, but I felt like there was plenty of reason for backlash. Great point about the Vikes and Saints though. These next two weeks are going to tell us if we're a real top dog or not imo. Just gotta give Brady some time in the pocket and a lot of our problems will go away.

I'm actually going to take "the gun to the head" approach instead of the "jumping off a bridge" approach if they lose. Of course I will be wearing my #81 jersey at the time.

Whatever works.:)

Here's a positive. Someone posted this over at the Chiefs forum.

C9ZBw4o.jpg

last 12 years or so i haven't panicked.:) but if we lose, i'll press the panic button!!:D;)

one positive....no berry. also derrick johnson is gone for the season.

they chiefs have lost so many players...

SB39 has been banned along with TonyTucker. Next will be Fredfromdartmouth and IApats fan and gymrat.

Things are looking up.

Like I said Hightower could play 3-4 end. He even lost weight and still did so on several plays. If he is down to 265-270, how much did he weigh last season. He must have been 275-280. Like I said he is a big framed powerful dude. Its not surprising he struggled in coverage before. However he is slightly lighter and faster this season while retaining his power. Only prob is Collins I don't think is a a good fit at ilb. He is long lean flexible and explosive. He is no more natural at ilb than chandler Jones would be. However Hightower can play ilb DE in a 3-4 and a 4-3 to fit the best players on the field. A couple LB,DE formations in a 4-3 Jones at DE with Nink on other side with Buchanan and Moore sharing reps to track their progress. Of course Hightower and Collins the olb's with mayo in the middle. Offenses won't have an answer for Collins or Hightower blitzing. Especially if Easley begins coming on and pressuring from DT. Collins and Hightower are both capable of collecting double digit sacks taking on offensive tackles. Having them blitz while oline has its hands full already and they won't have an answer for Collins or Hightower blitzing. The qb will be rattled worried who is dropping and who is blitzing. In a 3-4 HT and mayo can both blitz and cover from ilb positions. HT especially would rattle qbs up the middle blitzing at times while Jones or Collins drops in coverage from their olb spots. Qbs would be confused where coverage and pressure is at all times as HT can blitz up the middle with the power of a penetrating DT or 3-4 end with speed and moves of a LB. Easley becoming an impact penetrator 3-4 end,DT is sooooooo important to the defense this year and would really put heat on QBs. Could be very effective rushing and containing running QBs as well

Last edited:
last 12 years or so i haven't panicked.:) but if we lose, i'll press the panic button!!:D;)

No need to panic about 2-2 at all if we lose especially in our divison....but if the OL stinks again...i could see some logic for some of the panic

I fear this will be a short thread. It will never catch on with the drama queens. I mean how can you beat your breast and claim to know more than the professionals who have the best record in fooall over for over a decade, when you are saying positive things. We all know is SOOOOOO much easier to tear something down, than to build it up.

We may very well lose this game because ANY road game is hard in the NFL, and KC is one of the toughest venues in the league to come in and play at. KC also has one of the most productive QB's over the last couple of years, and THE most productive RB. They also have 2 of the best Pass rushers in the league in Hali and Houston. What could possibly go wrong. ;)

Nice OP, Rob. There are a LOT of positives we can garner from the first 3 games.

1. We have stopped the bleeding from the first game gashing of out run D.

2. We have a secondary that is feared, rather that exploited, for a change. And that's a secondary that's a secondary that's missing 2 key contributors (Browner and Dennard)

3. We have lost only one starter for any length of time (Siliga) and have several key players getting healthier with every game. When was the last time we could say that.

4. Ridley has run well and not fumbled. Though I'm amazed at so many RB's who seem to fumble all the time yet continually get a pass from both fans and the media. (see Demarco Murray with 3 fumbles already). It only points out how unfair the media and certain fans have been to Ridley.

5. Hightower has been playing to his potential and we've seen more explosive plays from him in 3 games than we've seen in 2 years. BTW- I think too much attention has been made of his improved pass coverage. A lot of that has to do with the fact he now has coverage on the outside rather than the middle.

BTW- I never understood why he took so much heat last year. 90% of all ILB's (and 100% of 270lb LB's) can't run with RB's and slot receivers over the middle, like Hightower was being asked to do last season. So why were people shocked when Hightower got beat so often. Why did they feel the need to berate him for something entirely out of his control.

6. We are the 3rd best D in total yds in the league. And more importantly the FIFTH best scoring D in the league, and that's despite giving up 33 in the first game.

7. Revis is every bit as good as what we've hoped. IIRC at least 3 of those passes completed against him vs Oakland could just as easily been picked or incompletions, that's how tight the coverage was. I can think of only one pass this season where you could honestly say he was "beaten" on a route. I'll take that in a league that specifically legislates the advantage to the passing game.

8. Pat Chung's pl;ay has exceed even the biggest homer's expectations. (and the whiners are pissed ;) )

9. Nate Ebner is getting meaningful snaps as a DB and doing well

10. Tavon Wilson seems to playing well when he replaces Chung in passing situations in sub packages.

Still if you think fantasy football points are the object of the game, then it probably IS time to panic. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
"Still if you think fantasy football points are the object of the game, then it probably IS time to panic."

agreed...either that or it's a drug addled egomaniac with delusions of grandeur, convinced he is always right and everyone else HAS TO BE wrong if they disagree with any of his martian on LSD takes.

One of the pleasures of this site for years now has been YOUR contributions, Ken. Sadly, you have cut back a lot on posting your thoughts about our team.I just want it to be known that ,even when I disagree with one of your points, I always respect the points you make...because I respect your body of work here since it seems like forever....and I respect, you.

OK. I'll play...

It's positive that Gostkowski has been successfully kicking field goals on almost all of the failed trips to the red zone...
Dr. Chuckles strikes again. Do me a favor: play with yourself.

I fear this will be a short thread. It will never catch on with the drama queens. I mean how can you beat your breast and claim to know more than the professionals who have the best record in fooall over for over a decade, when you are saying positive things. We all know is SOOOOOO much easier to tear something down, than to build it up.

We may very well lose this game because ANY road game is hard in the NFL, and KC is one of the toughest venues in the league to come in and play at. KC also has one of the most productive QB's over the last couple of years, and THE most productive RB. They also have 2 of the best Pass rushers in the league in Hali and Houston. What could possibly go wrong. ;)

Nice OP, Rob. There are a LOT of positives we can garner from the first 3 games.

2. We have a secondary that is feared, rather that exploited, for a change. And that's a secondary that's a secondary that's missing 2 key contributors (Browner and Dennard)

3. We have lost only one starter for any length of time (Siliga) and have several key players getting healthier with every game. When was the last time we could say that.

4. Ridley has run well and not fumbled. Though I'm amazed at so many RB's who seem to fumble all the time yet continually get a pass from both fans and the media. (see Demarco Murray with 3 fumbles already). It only points out how unfair the media and certain fans have been to Ridley.

5. Hightower has been playing to his potential and we've seen more explosive plays from him in 3 games than we've seen in 2 years. BTW- I think too much attention has been made of his improved pass coverage. A lot of that has to do with the fact he now has coverage on the outside rather than the middle.

BTW- I never understood why he took so much heat last year. 90% of all ILB's (and 100% of 270lb LB's) can't run with RB's and slot receivers over the middle, like Hightower was being asked to do last season. So why were people shocked when Hightower got beat so often. Why did they feel the need to berate him for something entirely out of his control.

6. We are the 3rd best D in total yds in the league. And more importantly the FIFTH best scoring D in the league, and that's despite giving up 33 in the first game.

7. Revis is every bit as good as what we've hoped. IIRC at least 3 of those passes completed against him vs Oakland could just as easily been picked or incompletions, that's how tight the coverage was. I can think of only one pass this season where you could honestly say he was "beaten" on a route. I'll take that in a league that specifically legislates the advantage to the passing game.

8. Pat Chung's pl;ay has exceed even the biggest homer's expectations. (and the whiners are pissed ;) )

10. Tavon Wilson seems to playing well when he replaces Chung in passing situations in sub packages.

Still if you think fantasy football points are the object of the game, then it probably IS time to panic. :rolleyes:

I don't play ff, I do however try to gather tape on players and find upside. I'm waiting on a disc of Allen Hurns from a friends BFs friend right now to see how everybody overlooked him. That's what takes up some of my time in early spring that should be getting ready for summer. My fantasy points is when the patriots win dynamically. When we collect sacks and strike fear in opposing QBs. Not necessarily int's but cornerbacks locking down WRs. Brady throwing for over 400 yards. KT,Dobson with multiple big plays. Vereen 100 yards rushing and over 50 in receptions, Gronk a couple TDs and Edelman with 7-8 move the chains catches. Or even Tim Wright with a big day.

I just can't root for players on other teams to rack up stats. It just agrivates me when the patriots are struggling. Especially when its players I wanted the patriots to get and Bill overlooked him. Geno Atkins is probably my favorite prospect ever and I can't get over he is a Bengal. I still like Atkins and his style but I can't root for him to rack up stats. I wanted Dez Bryant so badly. I felt moss could coach him up to be the #1 WR as Moss lost speed. I just believed it to he a flawless situation. I loved Bryant's tape. I liked Brian Quick a lot in 2012, way better even than Alshon Jeffrey. He is breaking out. I can't root him to rack up stats either, even though the maggot Rams drafted him sooner than expected. Bowman is my favorite LB prospect ever, so I can't root him on to rack up stats. I wanted to trade up to draft Rob Quinn, yes even before Watt,I liked him better than JJ watt. I just can't root for players to rack up stats for other teams. I really really want Easley to be an explosive dynamic defender this year

I agree with all that you posted.

I would have the healthy return of Wilfork and Mayo as my #1 and #2 positive.

BTW, I find it interesting that the only positive you listed concerning the offense is that Ridley hasn't fumbled. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft