PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Throwbacks to be worn against Vikings and Detroit confirmed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Throwbacks to be worn against Vikings and Detroit Confirmed.

Throwbacks? THROWBACKS?! :bricks::deadhorse::ugh::sleeping:

I agree with this post. I know it's the slow part of the season, but I'm not going to rate one uniform over another. We're talking about.... clothes?! :ugh:

:rolleyes: :D

I agree with this post. I know it's the slow part of the season, but I'm not going to rate one uniform over another. We're talking about.... clothes?! :ugh:

:rolleyes: :D

What's wrong with that? It's football uniforms, not the new Dior range :)

What's wrong with that? It's football uniforms, not the new Dior range :)

Ha ha! Yeah- I know, but it IS still discussions on clothes. I just keep having to remind myself it's the slow season. The very slow season. Why can't it be July 29th already?! :rocker:

I'll take the blue on blue with the silver dome. :rocker:

I think I'm the only one here, but I would like to see the Pats wear the 90s unis for a game.

You're not alone.

I actually preferred the 1993 version with the straight numbers over the 1995 onward version with italics. Would love to see either one though

Someone mention why wear them against the Vikes as we don't have significant history with them... how about with Favre? He's expected back and we've got some history with him...

Someone mention why wear them against the Vikes as we don't have significant history with them... how about with Favre? He's expected back and we've got some history with him...

Every team in the league has history with Favre at this point.

Two nationally televised games...CBS for the Lions and Fox for the Vikings.

Last edited:
A few thoughts:

1) I can understand against the Lions, since the league likes to do throwbacks for the national games. But why the Vikings? Are they going to wear throwbacks too? We only play them once every few years, and I can't think of any legendary Pats-Vikings games. (Well, except the one in '94.)

Actually there was a great game they played in 1974 when Jim Plunkett hit TE Bob Windsor with no time left. It was one of my favorate games, it was the first game I remember them winning on the road against a good team It's too bad that half the team that year got hurt and killed the second half of the year.

Actually there was a great game they played in 1974 when Jim Plunkett hit TE Bob Windsor with no time left. It was one of my favorate games, it was the first game I remember them winning on the road against a good team It's too bad that half the team that year got hurt and killed the second half of the year.

Actually the first regular season NFL game I ever went to was the Pats at the Vikings in 1997. That game was less than spectacular; the Vikes pretty much led by two scores most of the game, the Pats started a comeback in the second half but couldn't come through. Ah, how I don't miss the mid-season slumps of the Pete Carroll years. :rolleyes:

I was also at the Pats-Vikes game in 2006, where the Pats slapped Minnesota around like a red-headed stepchild. The weird thing is the Vikes had the same QB for both games: Brad Johnson.

You're not alone.

I actually preferred the 1993 version with the straight numbers over the 1995 onward version with italics. Would love to see either one though

There are subtle differences between the '93 & '94 unis.
For instance, the 93's actually had RED numbers on the chest and back with white numbers on the shoulders. This is the most bazaar Pats jersey of all time and I'd kill to own one. Also, the 1993 helmet was the only year they had a matching silver face mask.
The 1993 road jerseys were strange as well. They had red numbers on front & back with freaking BLUE ones on the shoulders. Also, the outlines of the chest & back numbers didn't "touch" the number, but traced around it at a short distance.

In 1994, they went to the matching white numbers on chest, back, & shoulders. There's a lot of footage of these, such as the Vikings game at home when Bledsoe went nuts for like 500 yards.
And in 1994 they changed the away jerseys from the previous year too. The blue outlines of the RED chest & back numbers finally touched and connected to the inner number. They still kept the weird combo of red chest & back #'s with BLUE shoulder #'s. You can see footage of these jerseys in the playoff loss in Cleveland to Belichick.

Most people think the huge flying Elvis on the shoulders was the only Pays uni 93-99. In 93 & 94, the flying Elvis was first down on the sleeve, like it is now.
Those were great times to be a Pats fan. Parcells came to town as the messiah, national spotlight followed and still hasn't left to this day.

"Whatchoo Talkin' 'Bout Kontradiction?"

I remember that game well. Windsor broke a couple of tackles, then a Viking had a hold of him and had him all but stopped, but Windsor somehow managed to drag him to the goal line before he was tackled, just breaking the plane for the winning touchdown. The Vikings had gone to the Super Bowl the year before and both teams had gotten off to fast starts, and had the two best records in the NFL at that time if I'm not mistaken. I think the win gave the Pats a 6-1 record but they fell apart in the second half due to injuries and finished with a .500 record. Windsor blew out his knee on the play and I don't think he ever played again.

=====

On a side note, if the Pats are wearing throwbacks against the Vikings, what is Minnesota going to wear? Haven't they worn the same uniform since day one?

On a side note, if the Pats are wearing throwbacks against the Vikings, what is Minnesota going to wear? Haven't they worn the same uniform since day one?

Their unis haven't changed radically over the years like ours have, but they have been updated a few times. It was only five or six years ago they switched to the jersey they wear now which is a bit flashier, but they also wear a throwback to their more basic '70s style a few times a year. Last year they did for the big Monday Night game against the Packers (when the ol' hillbilly Favre played against Green Bay for the first time.)

If I were at home I'd post some pictures, the stupid filter here at work blocks Photobucket for some reason.

Their unis haven't changed radically over the years like ours have, but they have been updated a few times. It was only five or six years ago they switched to the jersey they wear now which is a bit flashier, but they also wear a throwback to their more basic '70s style a few times a year. Last year they did for the big Monday Night game against the Packers (when the ol' hillbilly Favre played against Green Bay for the first time.)

If I were at home I'd post some pictures, the stupid filter here at work blocks Photobucket for some reason.

Here is a picture of the throwbacks that Minny wore last season.

09000d5d813312a6_gallery_600.jpg

Compared to their normal jerseys:

09000d5d81462ab2_gallery_600.jpg

Last edited:

Here is a picture of the throwbacks that Minny wore last season.

09000d5d813312a6_gallery_600.jpg

Compared to their normal jerseys:

09000d5d81462ab2_gallery_600.jpg

Thanks ... well, to be honest, unless I was looking for a difference I don't think I'd notice it. To me they're close enough in style that it hardly qualifies as a 'throwback' uniform, in my opinion.

On the other hand I suppose it's better than resurrecting a uniform of the Duluth Eskimos or Minneapolis Red Jackets. Some of the other NFL teams' throwbacks from the 20's and 30's are an eyesore and should never be worn again.

2595494884_d882ec8b5e_b.jpg

Favre's only Super Bowl win came against the Pats in 96. Favre handed us our first loss in Gillette in 02, that same year in week 17 the Jets beat Favre to win the tiebreaker and keep us out of the playoffs. I also think Green Bay was undefeated (regular season) against the Pats in Lambaeu until Brady beat Favre there in 06? In 07 Favre was very mad about not getting Moss (who ended up here and did... decent:cool:). In the 07 NFCCG, Favre screwed the pooch in OT and let the Giants squeek in to the Super Bowl and... ugh. In 08 Favre played for the rival Jets. Favre is now playing for Moss's original team, who Moss has stated previously he wouldn't mind retiring on.

I want to crush Favre and I want Moss to score 6 TDs against him and the Vikes.

Minny's throwbacks are freakin' awesome. They would be amongst the best in the league if they wore them full time. The uniforms that they currently wear suck.s

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes