PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots to wear throwbacks four times in 2009

Status
Not open for further replies.
Am I the only one who doesnt like these uniforms? Its just brings me back to an era of losing. yuck

I'm with you. They look like a cheap cartoon and will forever equate to futility on the field. Elvis and navy blue are a million times classier (and also historically correct, the British wore red).

You know the funny thing is that Grey is my favorite color but I don't think the silver in the uniform of today is very appropriate for a team called the 'Patriots' - They should have changed the helmets back to a white background with the Elvis logo and go with the white pants as displaying the Red White and Blue and I would be fine with that.

I'm absolutely over the moon about seeing the retro uniforms this season.

It's particularly hard for a British sports fan to get used to the idea of teams completely changing their colours and badges/logos.

I never fully understand the "I associate those uniforms with losing" comments. The players and coaches lost the games, not the uniforms, and I feel pretty sure that Messers Kraft, Belichick and Brady would have achieved everything they have achieved since 2001 if the team still wore bold red, white and blue.

As for the current uniforms, I'm with those who have commented that they are a little drab (I prefer the white jersey to the blue, at any rate).

However, my biggest issue is definitely with the logo. The old logo is attractive and charming, while the 'flying Elvis' looks like a bland, glossy, corporate design. It's well designed and not nearly as vile as the Broncos' horrid horse (to cite another yukky modern logo overhaul) but it's impossible to feel any warmth for it.

I never fully understand the "I associate those uniforms with losing" comments. The players and coaches lost the games, not the uniforms, and I feel pretty sure that Messers Kraft, Belichick and Brady would have achieved everything they have achieved since 2001 if the team still wore bold red, white and blue.

That's the point. The team didn't start winning regularly until after the uniform change. Old NFL highlight films from 1960-1992 always show a team in red and white getting pummeled, and after enough of that the red unis bring back bad memories.

Someday we may need to have a contest to see who is the biggest Italian Pat's fan!

I like the Red Sox a lot....But the patriots and football season in general is just special to me.All the stats and predictions and analysis leading up to the games on Sunday,is just intoxicating.

Only with pro football do you get to communicate with fans,all over the country and in China!.......you seem like the type of person(old),like me,who is rejuvenated by the the start of the Patriots' season.

.....MAZELTOV!

That's the point. The team didn't start winning regularly until after the uniform change. Old NFL highlight films from 1960-1992 always show a team in red and white getting pummeled, and after enough of that the red unis bring back bad memories.

There were a few highlights and a couple of really good teams in the real uniforms - it's not like we were the Tampa Bay Buccaneers.

Obviously I'm not stupid enough not to partly see why some people feel the way you do, but I think Patriots-world would be a much better place if the uniform had never changed and we had enjoyed this decade of success in the real uniforms. (Yes, my new mind-altering technique is to cast the original uniforms as the REAL uniforms, heh heh). I'd have loved the continuity, the heritage, the history embodied in seeing the Pats win the Superbowl dressed the way they always had been.

In passing, at least the current illegitimate uniforms are better than the godawful first illegitimate uniforms with those huge shoulder badges and shaded numbers.

09092009brady600.jpg

Tom Brady (left, foreground leads teammates through a footwork drill.

499w.jpg

Patriots prepare for Bills - Boston.com

If i am not too busy next week ,i will drive to Foxboro pro shop store ,and get the throwback Jersey , #83 of course :) ,see link: Official Patriots ProShop - Jerod Mayo AFL 50th Anniversary Throwback Jersey

Last edited:
I didn't see the blue stripe down the center of the helmet like the real vintage unis????

It's based on the 1963 AFL East Champions team, http://www.weirdwolf.net/FFP/images/1960/Boston61.gif

they didn't have the stripe until 1965...http://www.weirdwolf.net/FFP/images/1960/Boston65.gif

OH,O.K. Thanks,I was born the year before the stripes came about,never knew that all these years :)

I still think the blue stripe down the center makes that helmet simply gorgeous to look at (I hope saying the word 'gorgeous' doesn't sound too gay :cool:)

One thing though - Didn't the 2002 Patriots team who wore the old unis have the blue stripe? - Or is that a different thing because of the 75th anniversary of the NFL that year? ...then again I think the 75th anniversary was in 1994 - Right?

Last edited:
OH,O.K. Thanks,I was born the year before the stripes came about,never knew that all these years :)

I still think the blue stripe down the center makes that helmet simply gorgeous to look at (I hope saying the word 'gorgeous' doesn't sound too gay :cool:)

One thing though - Didn't the 2002 Patriots team who wore the old unis have the blue stripe? - Or is that a different thing because of the 75th anniversary of the NFL that year?

75th had the blue stripe...http://www.weirdwolf.net/FFP/images/1990/NewEngland75.gif

New England

As did the 2002...http://www.weirdwolf.net/FFP/images/2000/NewEngland02A.gif

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey