PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Thoughts on Marte Mapu So Far After 9 Games

Happens when the cupboard is bare. Guys like Tavai and Bentley play well when they're in their roles but when theyre asked to be rangy and cover speedy guys we see what happened against Miami in the first game. They can't get to the edge and get burned around the corner. On the flip side we have Uche who has the speed to get to the corner but cannot set the edge.
Not sure why they don't just play Mills at FS and Mapu at LB...?

They seem to have rotated Mills, Phillips, and Mapu there when Dugger is in the SS role but it seems they don't like any of the McCarty replacements enough to leave them there full time.

This is happening all over the place…players asked to play out of position. The team is in a worse place because of it.
true

We just play a PS player at FS because that is his natural position.

Sometimes, you simply use the player who is expected to perform best at the position. We have no natural free safety. We knew that we would try Mills and Mapu. Peppers is better even though he is clearly out of position/

You need send a memo to the staff. They don't think that Mills is good enough to be our regular starter at free safety.

true

We just play a PS player at FS because that is his natural position.

Sometimes, you simply use the player who is expected to perform best at the position. We have no natural free safety. We knew that we would try Mills and Mapu. Peppers is better even though he is clearly out of position/
That’s Jon Jones….what I’ve been saying for 2 years. You play him at FS because he is by far the one that would perform best. He is very fast, knows everyone’s assignments, can open field tackle. You can’t put slower in the box safeties at FS and expect them to play high safety. BB is NOT making good decisions. 1/4 of the team is playing out of position.

As far as I am aware Mapu has not played as a LB in a competitive game ? Hopefully he will get a chance to see if he can play as he did in College.
The only time I've seen him play LB, Mostert baited him into taking the wrong gap and ran for a 8 yard TD. I bookmarked the play in the video. We kept hearing how fast he was, but plays very slow.

Matt Milano is a similar build and I think weighs less than Mapu and he has been a beast in Buffalo. Bill needs to get away from the 260 LB nonsense.
He has a similar build to Fred Warner who he was compared to coming out. Turns out to be a pretty bad comparison.

So your argument is he's bigger than Milano and that isn't good?
NO, he is taller and skinny. He isn't good because he is way over his head! He played for a school that has produce exactly one NFL player in 60 years. Just because you are the same size as another player does not mean you have that players skill set. Once again, Bill trying to prove he is smarter than anyone else (cue the laugh track from drafting Strange), by drafting a Div 3 guy in the third round.

I'm so sick of saying "who" after the Pats call out a draft pick.

BB would be better off just taking the best SEC player on the board when his turn comes, in this case the very next pick was Byron Young LB, Tennessee (Rams) who has 27 tackles through 9 games, 5 sacks and 2 forced fumbles as opposed to Harpo's 8 tackles

The only time I've seen him play LB, Mostert baited him into taking the wrong gap and ran for a 8 yard TD. I bookmarked the play in the video. We kept hearing how fast he was, but plays very slow.

He has a similar build to Fred Warner who he was compared to coming out. Turns out to be a pretty bad comparison.

Afraid I am not too smart on this and the link is for the all the highlights and not just the single play ??.....thanks anyway for taking the time to provide an example.

That’s Jon Jones….what I’ve been saying for 2 years. You play him at FS because he is by far the one that would perform best. He is very fast, knows everyone’s assignments, can open field tackle. You can’t put slower in the box safeties at FS and expect them to play high safety. BB is NOT making good decisions. 1/4 of the team is playing out of position.
Yes. for 2 years you have been saying that one of the best nickel backs in the league should switch positions.

So, what is your recommendation going forward, presuming that we move Jo Jones to safety. I guess you think that we should have lots of reps for Bryant, Wade and Mills. Now, there's a plan!

Yes. for 2 years you have been saying that one of the best nickel backs in the league should switch positions.

So, what is your recommendation going forward, presuming that we move Jo Jones to safety. I guess you think that we should have lots of reps for Bryant, Wade and Mills. Now, there's a plan!
Bryant? Everyone and their mother knows he can’t play man…another out of position player the past 2-3 years. I know you like BB’s musical chair plans but they don’t work if you do t have the right personnel…seasoned vets that know how to play their primary position 1st and foremost. Rookies should play their natural position to learn how to play it at an NFL level. And then try them elsewhere a few years later to see if they can play the position. Forcing rookies to play out of position is ruining their careers and the team success.

Bryant? Everyone and their mother knows he can’t play man…another out of position player the past 2-3 years. I know you like BB’s musical chair plans but they don’t work if you do t have the right personnel…seasoned vets that know how to play their primary position 1st and foremost. Rookies should play their natural position to learn how to play it at an NFL level. And then try them elsewhere a few years later to see if they can play the position. Forcing rookies to play out of position is ruining their careers and the team success.
Zuma's rules.

We posters haven't even a small clue with regard why Mapu was drafted. IMO, if he was drafted to be a LB, it was a very strange pick. AT THE TIME. many speculated that he was a potential backup for Dugger.

We prefer to say that Mapu should be developing and getting lots for reps at LB. I get it. I just think that if being a LB was to be his role, this was by far the worst pick in the draft.

Yes, Bryant would get lots more reps at CB, especially nickel, iof Jonathan Jones were moved to free safety. I don't want Bryant on the filed, THEREFORE, I want Jonathan Joes to stay at CB.

Yes, Bryant would get lots more reps at CB, especially nickel, iof Jonathan Jones were moved to free safety. I don't want Bryant on the filed, THEREFORE, I want Jonathan Joes to stay at CB.
It’s been a colossal mistake to play Bryant at CB man. He should play zone only…probably a backup at FS…:not CB. Bryant should never take reps from anyone. Bryant should not be allowed to step on a football field. His Madden privileges should be taken away.

There were a lot of secondary options to not have to play Bryant when the season started. He shouldn’t be on the team unless it’s PS.

Afraid I am not too smart on this and the link is for the all the highlights and not just the single play ??.....thanks anyway for taking the time to provide an example.
It's not you, it looks like it didn't work where I book marked it. Its at 3:34.

It’s been a colossal mistake to play Bryant at CB man. He should play zone only…probably a backup at FS…:not CB. Bryant should never take reps from anyone. Bryant should not be allowed to step on a football field. His Madden privileges should be taken away.

There were a lot of secondary options to not have to play Bryant when the season started. He shouldn’t be on the team unless it’s PS.
My point was that I didn't want Jo Jones moved to free safety, because that would mean lots more reps for Bryant at CB and NB.

As far as Mapu being a patriots LB, my memory is going. Please list our LB's under 235 pounds in the past few years.

As everyday joe’s can’t even evaluate the guy because he doesn’t play LB. From what we’ve seen at safety it’s not better than what Dugger and Peppers gives us. I’d hate to call it a bad pick, but in the 3rd round and seemingly having no position it’s a bad pick.
Hopefully not and he comes in and gives us the smallish Lavonte David type of LB vibe. But nothing close so far. Changes in scheme or personal would have to be made.

Too small of a sample size to truly get a feel for him. I'm not going to hold it against a rookie with average speed by getting burnt by the flash.

My point was that I didn't want Jo Jones moved to free safety, because that would mean lots more reps for Bryant at CB and NB.

As far as Mapu being a patriots LB, my memory is going. Please list our LB's under 235 pounds in the past few years.
And my point was I wanted Jo Jones to start the season at FS. You think much more about Bryant than I do. There was better options.

You would like me to investigate who on the Patriots played at 235 at LB the past few years? No…LOL…look it up yourself. I’m not a gofer. Try google or something.

I think Jon Jones has shown he can play well in that safety role as he did against the Tyreek Hill Chiefs a few times. With that being said he wouldn't be the long term answer at free safety regardless so there is not much sense weakening an already weak corner group to get a short term solution at free safety.

And my point was I wanted Jo Jones to start the season at FS. You think much more about Bryant than I do. There was better options.

You would like me to investigate who on the Patriots played at 235 at LB the past few years? No…LOL…look it up yourself. I’m not a gofer. Try google or something.
fair wnough

I'm not good at those skills.

So, I will make the bold statement without proof: Belichick does NOT have much use for 230 pound linebackers.

Others may have more info.

It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
Back