PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Thoughts on Marte Mapu So Far After 9 Games

As far as I am aware Mapu has not played as a LB in a competitive game ? Hopefully he will get a chance to see if he can play as he did in College.

Meh so far but like others have pointed out, he's play out of his natural position. We shall see.

Dugger and Peppers are more in the box guys. I assume they don't like what they have seen out of Phillips or Mills but I can't imagine they like what they've seen out of Mapu there.
IMO Marte is mis-used and under utilized. We have no FS.. Peppers is masquerading as one this season. Marte should be involved more around the LOS.. the guys talented but sees 25 snaps a game on average.

IMO Marte is mis-used and under utilized. We have no FS.. Peppers is masquerading as one this season. Marte should be involved more around the LOS.. the guys talented but sees 25 snaps a game on average.
Is your point that Mapu should be playing free safety. He shown no ability to do so in the NFL.

Is your point that Mapu should be playing free safety. He shown no ability to do so in the NFL.
No was just reffence there fact we no FS.. I thought mills would be such.. if we had a pure FS then mapu could be better utilized at the LB level where is think he best suited.. he's cat quick sideline to side line and is a excellent tackler..

This is happening all over the place…players asked to play out of position. The team is in a worse place because of it.

This is happening all over the place…players asked to play out of position. The team is in a worse place because of it.
Happens when the cupboard is bare. Guys like Tavai and Bentley play well when they're in their roles but when theyre asked to be rangy and cover speedy guys we see what happened against Miami in the first game. They can't get to the edge and get burned around the corner. On the flip side we have Uche who has the speed to get to the corner but cannot set the edge.

Agreed. The injuries on Defense are glaring.. without gonzo it's like geesh can a CB actually break up a pass... as a rookie Mapu his head has to be scrambling.. like what position am i..

Happens when the cupboard is bare. Guys like Tavai and Bentley play well when they're in their roles but when theyre asked to be rangy and cover speedy guys we see what happened against Miami in the first game. They can't get to the edge and get burned around the corner. On the flip side we have Uche who has the speed to get to the corner but cannot set the edge.
Is exactly why I'd like marpu more involved around the LOS.. he's more impactful there.. he's quick sideline to sideline and excellent tackler..

Matt Milano is a similar build and I think weighs less than Mapu and he has been a beast in Buffalo. Bill needs to get away from the 260 LB nonsense.
Marpu is about what 225-230.?.. Milano is a great player he's about 240 I'd say.?

Bentley and Tavai shouldn’t be on the field at the same time…this is another coaching failure.

Playing people out of position leads to more injuries because of unfamiliarity…It’s not just a mental aspect. Players are injured and the cupboard is even more bare.

Bentley and Tavai shouldn’t be on the field at the same time…this is another coaching failure.

Playing people out of position leads to more injuries because of unfamiliarity…It’s not just a mental aspect. Players are injured and the cupboard is even more bare.
It would probably work better to go with a 3-4 3 down lineman.. and 4 LBs so marpu can be more involved on the field.. I don't know what BB is thinking really.. can't get better standing on the side lines

Yeah the depth is depleted in many areas on the roster which causes the "playing out of position" problems to snowball.
Marpu is about what 225-230.?.. Milano is a great player he's about 240 I'd say.?
Per ESPN Milano is 223 LBs.

invisible -
lesson learned to not buy training camp hype
I think most of us knew he was green coming in and it would take time to carve out a role -if any with the defense.

Seeing how the year has gone to **** i'd like to see him play a bit more and get some experience.

Yeah the depth is depleted in many areas on the roster which causes the "playing out of position" problems to snowball.

Per ESPN Milano is 223 LBs.
Got it thank you! I'd love it marpu could turn into Milano..

Marpo is 3 inches taller than Milano and 7 pounds heavier, so not even close to the same build.

BTW, today is Harpo's 24th bday! So he's got that going for him.

He is the second highest drafted player from Sacramento State (of the 13 players they have had drafted over the last 60 years), the highest, that great JEte Kenny O'Brien who was drafted two spots AHEAD of HOFers Dan "laces out" Marino and Darrell Green!

To think that you can pluck a kid off a team that has literally only produced one NFL player in the last 60 years is lunacy!

Marpo is 3 inches taller than Milano and 7 pounds heavier, so not even close to the same build.

BTW, today is Harpo's 24th bday! So he's got that going for him.

He is the second highest drafted player from Sacramento State (of the 13 players they have had drafted over the last 60 years), the highest, that great JEte Kenny O'Brien who was drafted two spots AHEAD of HOFers Dan "laces out" Marino and Darrell Green!

To think that you can pluck a kid off a team that has literally only produced one NFL player in the last 60 years is lunacy!
So your argument is he's bigger than Milano and that isn't good?

It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
Back