PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Thoughts on Marte Mapu So Far After 9 Games

I always wanted Jones as our starting free safety, where his speed could shine. Mapu playing deep safety means that Dugger, Peppers, and Mills can't do that job. Maybe we should blame the vets and not the rookie here.

I always wanted Jones as our starting free safety, where his speed could shine. Mapu playing deep safety means that Dugger, Peppers, and Mills can't do that job. Maybe we should blame the vets and not the rookie here.
Dugger and Peppers are more in the box guys. I assume they don't like what they have seen out of Phillips or Mills but I can't imagine they like what they've seen out of Mapu there.

Mapu played 10 snaps. He is a rookie who fills in where he is needed, not the guy you structure the defense around. If a better player is playing in his best role, he has to take whatever role he can get.

Not good!

What ever he is. Hopefully, get better.

Last edited:
No matter where you play him, he has Madden AI awareness - very slow reacting after the snap. You can also see this on his college tape and his time during the preseason. He’s showing traits of a massive bust.
ala Jordan Richard’s awareness.
Doesnt matter how he tested in shorts if he is hesitating cause he’s overthinking or going the wrong way, this means he is a liability.

It’s about par for the course for a Belichick draft pick. ‘Who is that?’ followed by ‘Why are they playing him like that?’.

Is it time for another thread refreshing Bill’s draft record over the last 5 years? No probably not…it just sucks ass

I hoped Mapu would be a LB and called on to spy and rush the passer. Having a rookie consider all positions behind the line would at least cause slight hesitation in play. If the plan is for him to replace Dugger I can understand why. I've noticed Dugger making more "business decisions" lately where in the past he'd at least make the tackle if not lay the lumber.

With 10 snaps on Defense last week, does it really matter what he plays??
Hopes and aspirations for Mapu have somewhat dwindled..

Bill Parcell’s description of him would be a “joker” that does not fit the profile of prototype LB (not big enough) and DB (not reactive fast enough). I think it is easier to get bigger than faster. So, LB it is.

his film showed sideline to sideline speed, sure tackling, and the athleticism and speed to cover a RB or spy a QB coming out of the backfield.
he has been repeatedly exposed as out of position playing S.
we saw Mack Wilson and Adrian Phillips both playing in the box. 2 vets who will not be here next season. why are they playing in the box and Mapu is not? we saw Bentley get burned over and over in coverage by Gibson. Why is Mapu not in that coverage?
Bill is coaching like the team is in the playoff hunt. he needs to be coaching to get the young guys more snaps so that they really do make a year 2 or year 3 jump.

his film showed sideline to sideline speed, sure tackling, and the athleticism and speed to cover a RB or spy a QB coming out of the backfield.
he has been repeatedly exposed as out of position playing S.
we saw Mack Wilson and Adrian Phillips both playing in the box. 2 vets who will not be here next season. why are they playing in the box and Mapu is not? we saw Bentley get burned over and over in coverage by Gibson. Why is Mapu not in that coverage?
Bill is coaching like the team is in the playoff hunt. he needs to be coaching to get the young guys more snaps so that they really do make a year 2 or year 3 jump.
If the reports of Bill eyeing another team then he is quiet quitting.

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Back