PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Thoughts on Kyle Arrington and his drop to #4 on the depth chart?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I want Arrington on welker. guy has gone against him so many times in practice. has to help right? plus he did a great job in the last game against him.

Kelly's only getting 2M in salary or something. Wilfork is getting 8M. Doh!

Right now as I understand it they have 10M to try to resign Talib, Edelman, rookies, as well as any FAs.

We have 5 starters who are impending UFA.

Talib
Edelman
Blount
Wendell
Spikes

It's going to be a crunch.

Hooman is also a starter, even when Gronk is back.

Talib
Edelman
Blount
Wendell
Spikes

Agreed, but that does not mean that we will pay Wilfork $8M for his 2014 services.

Vince Wilfork is a team captain and a Pro-Bowler.

Spikes ...... he's gone.

• Dowling = injuries
• Cunningham = PEDs/injuries
• Spikes = attendance/idiotic nonsense
• Price = ADHD
• Hernandez = murderer
• Deaderick = discipline issue
• Chung = injuries and following directions
• Brace = eating disorder
• Butler = self confidence

So much talent and promise wasted for so many different and strange/unexpected reasons; it really is a shame.

Agreed, but that does not mean that we will pay Wilfork $8M for his 2014 services.

I don’t know if Vince is going to fit through the tunnel at Gillette the way he is growing since injuring his Achilles. He is eating like he is still training and he is unable to train especially cardio. The pounds don’t fall off as quickly at 32 years old so Vince needs to slow down on the food festival.

I agree with you they will not pay him $8,000,000 but I think he will restructure he seems to really like being part of this organization and honestly he brings value outside of the lines that very few players offer.

You cannot have too many good DB's in today's NFL. The fact that Arrington may have drooped in the depth chart doesn't cause me concern. All it means is that Dennard and Ryan are just a little bit better, which is a good thing.

And, Arrington is best suited to cover the slot receiver, which is important.

The only restructure available to a contract with one year left would be to make some of the salary into NLTBE incentives. I suspect that Wilfork might refuse. Playing a one-year :show-me" contract is not a good deal for Wilfork.

More likely is that Wilfork signs a 3-4 year contract for us or someone else, his last contract for real money.

Personally, I think that we are in a bit of bind. On March 11th, when the free agency period begins (and we need cap money). I suspect that he will be in terrible shape on March 11th.

I don’t know if Vince is going to fit through the tunnel at Gillette the way he is growing since injuring his Achilles. He is eating like he is still training and he is unable to train especially cardio. The pounds don’t fall off as quickly at 32 years old so Vince needs to slow down on the food festival.

I agree with you they will not pay him $8,000,000 but I think he will restructure he seems to really like being part of this organization and honestly he brings value outside of the lines that very few players offer.

The only restructure available to a contract with one year left would be to make some of the salary into NLTBE incentives. I suspect that Wilfork might refuse. Playing a one-year :show-me" contract is not a good deal for Wilfork.

More likely is that Wilfork signs a 3-4 year contract for us or someone else, his last contract for real money.

Personally, I think that we are in a bit of bind. On March 11th, when the free agency period begins (and we need cap money). I suspect that he will be in terrible shape on March 11th.

That’s actually what I meant by restructure is take the remaining money and roll it into an extension.

I agree with you on the bind thing, I am concerned with the weight situation. No exaggeration he looks to be in the 400-450 lb. range right now and that’s taking into consideration the 10 lbs. the camera adds. Wilfork is obviously a big guy in nature but he has also trained very hard so I imagine he was able to eat 10,000 calories a day without it being a major problem but now with very little ability to do calorie burning exercise coupled with having less muscle mass and therefore less burning calories since he isn’t able to do leg weight training I am sure he is likely eating 8,000 calories a day more than he is burning and weight catches you fast like that.

Do you really think there'd be a big market for a soon to be 33 year old coming off an often career ending injury like an achilles? I think if he balks they cut him and he retires. He's probably made 40 million dollars or so.

Talib
Edelman
Blount
Wendell
Spikes

It's not quite so bad if you assume, as I do, that we'll get superior production form Wendell and Spikes' positions after letting them walk. That means the only UFAs that we have to worry about are the first three, and all three are at positions where the Pats have multiple young options to replace them. Realistically, I think Talib will be too expensive, which is a shame considering that he's the most irreplaceable of the three. Blount is probably a luxury, and one that we might not be able to afford, which really just leaves Edelman. There's a lot of young talent behind him, but unfortunately none of the three rookies really stepped up this season, so if he walks it'll be a crapshoot seeing what we end up with at WR next year.

-His great SB46 performance vs Cruz that kept us in the game vs. the best WR trio in the league.
-He shutdown Welker the first game. (1 catch in man coverage, 4 for 31 overall)
-He's faced Welker in practice for four years.
-Arrington is a very good slot CB.

IMO, Arrington will earn that contract Sunday.

People seem to be forgetting the Super Bowl quite conveniently. I'd have put an argument down that he was the best player on the field for us in that game.

Screw the haters. He EARNED that contract and he's rewarded us with very good play on a consistent basis. When he has had to, he has stepped up and covered the outside for us. It isn't his fault it isn't his strength, but he's shut up and gotten on with it.

He's one of the better tacklers at his position in the league and has a couple of sacks to add to it.

Combine it all with his special teams value and there aren't many slot corners I would take over him.

I wish I could like twice these two comments.

You cannot have too many good DB's in today's NFL. The fact that Arrington may have drooped in the depth chart doesn't cause me concern. All it means is that Dennard and Ryan are just a little bit better, which is a good thing.

And, Arrington is best suited to cover the slot receiver, which is important.

I agree with you after years of suffering through horrific secondary play it is very nice to have this many good players back there.

Personally I think what concerns me is the salary cap; Hernandez really put a tremendous strain on the financials and coupled with the emergence of Talib, Edelman and Blount who I think we'd all like to see retained I just worry that the luxury of being over to modestly overpay for an Arrington or Amendola is not as cut and dry as in years past.

I agree that Wilfork might retire.

The question is what the patriots should offer before March 11, to give us the cap money. If the team offers him a take it our leave it $3M plus incentives, Wilfork would simply accept being cut. Wilfork could then take 3-4 months to see if he can play again. If he can, he could sign the best offer he can get.

Wilfork will be worth a lot more if he gets into game shape, if he can. The patriots are in a position where they must make an offer before that happens. Whatever the offer, there are risks, especially with regard to any guaranteed money.

So, I agree that there is no market for an our of condition 400 pounder in mid-March. There may be a huge market for an all-pro coming back strong from injury in mid-July.

Do you really think there'd be a big market for a soon to be 33 year old coming off an often career ending injury like an achilles? I think if he balks they cut him and he retires. He's probably made 40 million dollars or so.

I think he'll be our #3 CB this Sunday against Welker

The cold blooded and perhaps smartest thing to do would be to cut Wilfork and go after DT Linvale Joseph from the Giants, who is just 25. Joseph is a very good DT, especially as a run stopper. He's not Wilfork, but it's very unlikely that a 32 year old Wilfork coming off an Achilles' tendon rupture will be the same player that we had from 2004-2012. The problem is that it's Wilfork that we're talking about, and he provides so much leadership, and has so much history, and there's just a chance he may defy the odds and come back. It's a tough call.

The cold blooded and perhaps smartest thing to do would be to cut Wilfork and go after DT Linvale Joseph from the Giants, who is just 25. Joseph is a very good DT, especially as a run stopper. He's not Wilfork, but it's very unlikely that a 32 year old Wilfork coming off an Achilles' tendon rupture will be the same player that we had from 2004-2012. The problem is that it's Wilfork that we're talking about, and he provides so much leadership, and has so much history, and there's just a chance he may defy the odds and come back. It's a tough call.

I just read joseph will get 35 to 40 mill over 6 years or so. So that would be a huge fa signing. I know it can be structured so lower cap hits are in early years but wow that's a lot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST