PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Thoughts on Kyle Arrington and his drop to #4 on the depth chart?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brady6

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
Was curious what you all thought about Kyle Arrington, he was signed to a 4 year/$16,000,000 contract this past offseason and he was the #2 cornerback on the depth chart in week 1 of the season, Dennard quickly overcame being in the dog house due to legal issues and regained his role as the #2 corner at which time Arrington dropped back to #3. Logan Ryan had a fantastic rookie season and has now dropped Arrington to the #4 cornerback.

I don’t think we will cut him because according to Miguel’s page it would result in -$2,995,000 in cap savings in 2014; also I think he offers value in other areas, but $4,000,000 annually for a #4 cornerback is excessive and that is money that would have been really helpful as we attempt to retain Talib this offseason. I know Arrington has been dealing with a groin injury and that could explain his performance, I do recall him playing excellent football in weeks 1 and 2 of the season but his play since even in the slot where he generally excels has been lack luster.

Jamie Collins, Logan Ryan Move Up New England Patriots? Depth Chart | New England Patriots | NESN.com

Thoughts?

I don't think Arrington's skills have eroded or he is giving less than BB expected. His place on the depth chart is actually a good thing because I think it's more a matter of these other guys improving and learning the system (plus probably having a higher ceiling with physical attributes).

Plus, I would think Arrington plays best in the slot and having 4 capable DBs is a must in today's NFL.

I don't think Arrington's skills have eroded or he is giving less than BB expected. His place on the depth chart is actually a good thing because I think it's more a matter of these other guys improving and learning the system (plus probably having a higher ceiling with physical attributes).

Plus, I would think Arrington plays best in the slot and having 4 capable DBs is a must in today's NFL.
I would caution that the end result of most of these 'passed on the depth chart' observations is that it was an opponent specific/game plan issue, or an injury issue.
Arrington left in the second quarter and did not return. Perhaps someone can comment on his participation or lack of on s/ts?
Last time this happened, people were posting diatribes about Dobson getting benched vs the Broncos, only to learn he was injured.

I have never been a huge Arrington fan. I think he's a good STer, solid slot CB, and is strong in run support. He's a good player who deserves a spot on the team. But I was appalled at the contract the Pats gave him last year (especially in a year in which CBs generally got heavily discounted), I never want to see him on the outside, and I think Logan Ryan is a far better overall player. But based on his contract, I think we're stuck with him for 2 more years.

Again, he's a solid player, a good team player, and a great #4 CB. It's just a lot to pay for a #4 CB.

Ryan might be better at Arrington's job than Arrington.

Mayoclinic's post about his ST reminds me, he wasn't just good at ST when he first got here, he was phenomenal. He was what Slater is now, seemingly in on every tackle made. But he's a good slot corner, atrocious outside. I'm fine with him sliding further down.

He's a beast in the slot but, I can't imagine somebody else would have offered him that contract. I know Talib was a bargain but, still. He only got one more mill than Arrington. I feel like Arrington was a 2mill a year type player. Welker got 6 mill because he's considered a niche player. How can a slot only corner get 4 mill? I tend to think he could have been had for 2 years for 4 mill. But, that's my uneducated opinion. I'm not a GM, I'm not talking with his agent or other GMs/agents across the league. Have to trust BB knew what he was doing. Glad we have Kyle but, still a tad bit pricey. Especially with Ryan developing quickly into a solid corner.

He is who we thought he was.

Hopefully he can be cut after next year w/o a big cap hit. Perhaps BB just wanted to have someone he could depend on in case Dennards legal issues were problematic or Ryan didn't develop.

contract matters aside.....whenever I see a wide open reciever making a big play, I'm usually looking for Arrington on the coverage. :fear:

This is a reporter's "projected" depth chart.

Midway through Saturday’s game, cornerback Logan Ryan replaced Kyle Arrington in nickel. That could be because Arrington’s groin injury had acted up again, or it’s possible Patriots coach Bill Belichick thought Ryan was the better man for the job. Ryan might not hold onto that starting spot by Sunday’s game against the Broncos, but since he was the last man playing that role, he gets the No. 1 slot for now.

Read more at: http://nesn.com/2014/01/jamie-colli...projected-playoff-depth-chart-after-injuries/

Thoughts?

My first thought is why is it that whenever a player 'drops' in the depth chart or in playing time, why is it that a thread pops up with a 'what's wrong with this guy' theme rather than a 'hey, look at what (the other player) has done so well to earn extra playing time' discussion.

Second thought is that although they all are assigned the title of "cornerback", they have unique skill sets. Arrington's primary skills are on (a) special teams, (b) as a slot corner, and (c) as a backup as an outside corner in a pinch due to injury. The pay he receives is reflective of that. Since Ryan and Dennard are on rookie contracts, to compare their pay to Arrington's pay - even without taking special team contributions into consideration - is comparing apples to oranges.

Third thought is that playing times are often game specific based on the opponent; in this case it may have made more sense to have Ryan on the field. Fourth thought is that injuries also have a prominent part in those decisions. Arrington's playing time over the course of the season was probably higher than it would have been otherwise due to injuries to Talib and Dennard, and now that they are healthy it is simply returning to a more normal level as opposed to it being some sort of demotion.

I don't think Arrington is anything special especially on the outsides but he's solid in the slot have good hands and is one of the better Biltzers from the CB Position. With Denver's High Powered Offense I expect to see him on the Field alot on Sunday. I really like Logan Ryan alot but I wouldn't want a Rookie on Welker often based on the Magnitude of this game. If Dennard and Talib play the way they can on the Outsides limiting D. Thomas and E. Decker this could be a more difficult game for Denver contrary to popular opinion.

None of Talib, Dennard or Arrington is a paragon of durability and performance consistency. I'm happy with having all 3 plus Ryan at CB.

I would caution that the end result of most of these 'passed on the depth chart' observations is that it was an opponent specific/game plan issue, or an injury issue.
Arrington left in the second quarter and did not return. Perhaps someone can comment on his participation or lack of on s/ts?
Last time this happened, people were posting diatribes about Dobson getting benched vs the Broncos, only to learn he was injured.

While I agree it could be something other than his performance he did play special teams the entire game and reports indicate that it had more to do with performance.

“Kyle Arrington was benched in the second quarter after being abused several times, the worst coming when Griff Whalen beat him on a double move on third-and-6 for a 22-yard gain on a blitz call.”

Arrington has been losing ground to Ryan over the last 3-4 games pretty consistently.

Week 19
CB Aqib Talib – 64 of 65
CB Alfonzo Dennard – 53 of 65
CB Logan Ryan – 41 of 65
CB Kyle Arrington – 17 of 65

Week 17
CB Aqib Talib -- 69 of 70
CB Logan Ryan -- 69 of 70
CB Kyle Arrington -- 44 of 70
CB Alfonzo Dennard – DNP

I agree having Arrington as our dime CB is a huge advantage, hopefully we can retain Talib and cap # doesn’t impact that.

Thoughts?

My first thought is why is it that whenever a player 'drops' in the depth chart or in playing time, why is it that a thread pops up with a 'what's wrong with this guy' theme rather than a 'hey, look at what (the other player) has done so well to earn extra playing time' discussion.

Second thought is that although they all are assigned the title of "cornerback", they have unique skill sets. Arrington's primary skills are on (a) special teams, (b) as a slot corner, and (c) as a backup as an outside corner in a pinch due to injury. The pay he receives is reflective of that. Since Ryan and Dennard are on rookie contracts, to compare their pay to Arrington's pay - even without taking special team contributions into consideration - is comparing apples to oranges.

That is very true, my conjecture made it a negative when in fact it is a positive that Ryan has performed so well.

My concern is that the combination of Hernandez cap hit, what appears to be overpayment for Arrington and Amendola this past offseason and the amount of money that Edelman, Blount and Talib have probably earned themselves this season is going to make this a painful offseason.

I was not comparing Arrington’s salary to Dennard or Ryan for the record I was looking at it in the context that his average annual salary ranks 34th amongst all CBs in the NFL which seems to be a high number for a player who as you said is a slot CB who can fill in on the outside in a pinch.

None of Talib, Dennard or Arrington is a paragon of durability and performance consistency. I'm happy with having all 3 plus Ryan at CB.

If Arrington is fourth on your depth chart that's a good thing regardless of salary, especially in the POs.

I'd love to be a fly on the wall to know if his salary will affect retaining Talib. My guess is the two are unrelated since they fill different needs. The Pats also have the CB situation pretty cost controlled over the real term of Arrington's contract and will be able to cut him if needed when Dennard is up.

Arrington will be on Wes and will shut him down.

I think ppl look to much vs the 4 years 16m, while instead look at the contract.

Patriots payed Arrington 2.6mill this year and he's been worth that.

Next year he may get payed 3.6mill, BUT Dennard gonna spend some away and Talib is a FA. Take this into consideration and the 3.6 is fine.

Then in 2 years... If Talib is resigned, Dennard keep playing ball and Ryan ( who I beleave is a "slot"-corner ) keep progressing, then he may be cap casualty. Patriots can take 1.6mill in death money for the NeXT 2 years, but still save 3mill in 2015 and 3.5mill in 2016.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results