PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Thoughts and notes on today's game

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'll try to decipher what your asking..............you mean your designation as practice squad?(limited amount of posts).................My designation was sarcasm.....ergo,if you have Bodden 5th on your depth chart,you'll never rise above the practice squad.

ok. i guess i don't comprehend your combo of sarcasm/realism.

i mean you assume the quality of my posts won't allow my promotion...when you cited it only takes quantity. i guess you just don't make sense.

i'm not sure all the hostility. i'm a pats fan like you and your buds, only with a different opinion. i've been watching them longer and more critically than you - yet you yell at me as if my OPINION was incorrect. do what you wish i guess. you and mr. bauer.

ergo,if you have Bodden 5th on your depth chart,.

also, please read my posts correctly if you plan to "decipher" them.

i have bodden 4th. which is a huge difference from 5th.

you are too worried about your rebuttal buddy. please take time to see that bodden is far from brilliant.

I'll give you Antione Winfield. Now give me four better.

NFL Videos: Patriots 26, Falcons 10

Jenkins plays:
@1:19 15 yard completion on a post against Bodden in 2 man-under. That should be a completion every time on that route vs that coverage. Because of the coverage on top, the corner is mandated to retain outside technique on the receiver. This is why a big bodied receiver will always win this matchup.
@1:33 27 yard completion on a seam against your boy Springs. Bodden was all over his assignment, #84.

Not to burst your bubble dude, but you are completely, without argument wrong in your view of Bodden. Still looking for a clip of an out, and a "button-hook" whatever the **** that route is.

never heard of a button-hook? well that explains why you can't find it moron -

man i'm embarassed to be associated with you.

People tend to wax hot or cold, black or white. Many predicted that our offense would have to carry us this season and that we would have to win 38-35 shootouts. Well, that obviously wasn't the case. Now some are proclaiming that we have a "dominant" and "top 5" defense.

It's too early to tell. I've always been optimistic about our defense this year, feeling that we finally had the kind of speed and athleticism that I've been hoping to see. But we're very young, and thin at LB.

Statistically we may be a top 5 defense through 3 games. We're certainly much better than expected, especially with the injury to Mayo and the Seymour trade. But we're not dominant at this point, with little effective pass rush. I don't see that changing dramatically, unless Derrick Burgess wakes up and finds his 2005-2006 form. Not likely at this point.

Could we become dominant this year? Conceivably. I personally doubt it, though I think we will be a top 10 and possibly top 5, SB caliber defense. I do think that if we keep our basic defensive unit intact (including Wilfork and Bodden) and address the LB and pass rushing situation for 2010 as aggressively as we did the secondary this past offseason that we have a good chance of putting together a dominant defense next year.

I actually think it's good that we aren't dominant yet on either side of the ball. History shows that the best team in September typically doesn't wind up hoisting the Lombardi.

The defense remains a wild card and I believe the key will be our offense, not necessarily putting up 38 points a game like in '07 but more like they were today and in week 1 holding virtually a 2:1 advantage in TOP and keeping the other offense off the field. Against better offenses we may need to convert in the red zone however and better play from Brady which I'm sure will come. But today leaves alot to be encouraged about on both sides.

I'll give you Antione Winfield. Now give me four better.

NFL Videos: Patriots 26, Falcons 10

Jenkins plays:
@1:19 15 yard completion on a post against Bodden in 2 man-under. That should be a completion every time on that route vs that coverage. Because of the coverage on top, the corner is mandated to retain outside technique on the receiver. This is why a big bodied receiver will always win this matchup.
@1:33 27 yard completion on a seam against your boy Springs. Bodden was all over his assignment, #84.

Not to burst your bubble dude, but you are completely, without argument wrong in your view of Bodden. Still looking for a clip of an out, and a "button-hook" whatever the **** that route is.

Winfield, Bailey, Harper, Woodson, Bartell, Zach Bowman, Finnegan, every PIT corner, Will Allen, Nate Clements, Jabari Greer, Mcgee, Anthony Henry even,

man...that's top of mind...there you go - plenty of ammo to use for whoever you "haven't heard of". i mean im arguing with a guy who doesn't understand schematics.

never heard of a button-hook? well that explains why you can't find it moron -

man i'm embarassed to be associated with you.

So, I provide evidence and offer a legitimate opportunity to prove my statement wrong, and you come back with an ad-hominem insult. You're just making me look better with each subsequent post.

Towards the button hook. IIRC, button hook is old school high school terminology for a mid hook or a curl. An abbreviated comeback punctuated by driving hard off of the football to put the corner into a hard side stride, then planting and pivoting off of the inside foot, opening the body up and presenting the outside shoulder as the target for the quarterback. The button hook name has been dead in more advanced football for quite a while, as the terminology changed over in the mid 90's.

Sorry that you're embarrassed to be associated with me.

I actually think it's good that we aren't dominant yet on either side of the ball. History shows that the best team in September typically doesn't wind up hoisting the Lombardi.

The defense remains a wild card and I believe the key will be our offense, not necessarily putting up 38 points a game like in '07 but more like they were today and in week 1 holding virtually a 2:1 advantage in TOP and keeping the other offense off the field. Against better offenses we may need to convert in the red zone however and better play from Brady which I'm sure will come. But today leaves alot to be encouraged about on both sides.

Good thoughts.

1. I'm thrilled not to be the best team in September. We've traditionally peaked in December and the post-season (even in 2005, when we were too slow at LB, and in 2008 when we missed the playofs), except in 2007 - and we know how that worked out, despite all the claims that we only lost the SB because of a "freak play" or an injury. I see this team coming together nicely in November, maturing in December, and aging like fine wine in the postseason, barring major injuries.

2. My favorite stat of the day today was our TOP. If we can play that kind of game, in addition to our big strike capability, and play sound defense, we will be virtually unstoppable. Not easily done, but very encouraging signs today. That kind of ball control will be very helpful against Indy and New Orleans if we can keep it up.

So, I provide evidence and offer a legitimate opportunity to prove my statement wrong, and you come back with an ad-hominem insult. You're just making me look better with each subsequent post.

Towards the button hook. IIRC, button hook is old school high school terminology for a mid hook or a curl. An abbreviated comeback punctuated by driving hard off of the football to put the corner into a hard side stride, then planting and pivoting off of the inside foot, opening the body up and presenting the outside shoulder as the target for the quarterback. The button hook name has been dead in more advanced football for quite a while, as the terminology changed over in the mid 90's.

Jays52,

You started this thread with a fine OP, and it has had some nice discussion so far. It is threatening turning into a clone of the "official post-game discussion thread", which has deteriorated into a useless exchange between a small number of posters arguing endlessly among themselves. I've avoided that thread for that reason. I hope this one won't fall into that trap.

For the record, I consider you one of the most insightful X and O analysts on this board, and by far my superior in that regard, as well as a thoughtful analyst.

Different opinions will always exist, aren't necessarily bad, and are the lifeblood of this board. Let it rest.

In peace,

MC

hahahaha you're right, i shouldn't insult. however, there is a superfluous observational perspective on ubiquitous vocabulary that has people flabergasted.

my point is the greatest support is NOT that of vast knowledge of the dictionary or understanding of the definition of "button-hook". the true value of an opinion comes from observation from the game and it's immediate impact on the team.

but you're right - i apologize for my insult

Jays52,

You started this thread with a fine OP, and it has had some nice discussion so far. It is threatening turning into a clone of the "official post-game discussion thread", which has deteriorated into a useless exchange between a small number of posters arguing endlessly among themselves. I've avoided that thread for that reason. I hope this one won't fall into that trap.

For the record, I consider you one of the most insightful X and O analysts on this board, and by far my superior in that regard, as well as a thoughtful analyst.

Different opinions will always exist, aren't necessarily bad, and are the lifeblood of this board. Let it rest.

In peace,

MC

Agreed, I'm done. You know I get fired up too easily. Damn you and your intelligent class, MC! Thanks for putting it into perspective, as it is appreciated and dead on.

Agreed, I'm done. You know I get fired up too easily. Damn you and your intelligent class, MC! Thanks for putting it into perspective, as it is appreciated and dead on.

I'm working class, not intelligent class. :D

2. My favorite stat of the day today was our TOP.
Our time of possession has been outstanding all year.

37-23 vs. Buffalo.
31-29 vs. NYJ
40-20 vs. Atlanta

I don't have league leaders in these stats but we have to be at or near the top.

Guyton is improving week to week in his ability to not only read the play, but to get off of the blocks. Manning the middle is different than playing Will in either scheme. He was used to a more free pursuit and flow to the football, but he is beginning to adjust quite well to engaging and disengaging blockers. He even stoned some momentum quite well. When Mayo comes back, this unit is going to be one of the best in the NFL.

Thanks for the analysis--this is the only part I disagree with. Guyton was getting totally manhandled and pushed out of running plays. I didn't see him effectively shed a single block all day. Hopefully he will get better against the run, but we need Mayo back soon.

Synopsis
This was a good game to build upon, but they will need a much better offensive effort against Baltimore to come out with the W.

This was a great post jays52 - I'll be posting some reactions when I re-watch some of the game later this week.

Our time of possession has been outstanding all year.

37-23 vs. Buffalo.
31-29 vs. NYJ
40-20 vs. Atlanta

I don't have league leaders in these stats but we have to be at or near the top.

thats one thing ive really liked seeing this year

Guyton is improving week to week in his ability to not only read the play, but to get off of the blocks. Manning the middle is different than playing Will in either scheme. He was used to a more free pursuit and flow to the football, but he is beginning to adjust quite well to engaging and disengaging blockers. He even stoned some momentum quite well. When Mayo comes back, this unit is going to be one of the best in the NFL.

Thanks for the analysis--this is the only part I disagree with. Guyton was getting totally manhandled and pushed out of running plays. I didn't see him effectively shed a single block all day. Hopefully he will get better against the run, but we need Mayo back soon.

That's interesting, considering he tied with Meriweather for a team-leading seven tackles, and Turner was held to 3.8 YPC.

That's interesting, considering he tied with Meriweather for a team-leading seven tackles, and Turner was held to 3.8 YPC.

That is interesting. Tackles downfield, or run-stuffing tackles? Like I said, all things considered he's doing a pretty good job filling in at MLB. But re-watch the game: there were more than a few plays where he couldn't shed a block to save his life--completely tied up by a single blocker as Turner blew by.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft