PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Thoughts and Free agent Needs

Status
Not open for further replies.

mgteich

PatsFans.com Veteran
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
I believe that Mruc and Smith are simply warming the inactive portion of the bench as Pioli looks around for a LB and a STer.

The 49 man roster is what many had. Woods wasn't on some rosters, but was the next best LB when Gardner went down. We didn't have Gabriel (we had Branch or a free agent replacement.
---------------------------------
I congratulate anyone who had the last four right: Woods, Hill, Mruc and Smith! I had Hill, and had Chad Brown and Poteat coming back for the final two spots. Actually, I'm still fine with that, after the Game One guarantee has come and gone.
--------------------------------
Some of us had Beisel as a STer, to replace Jones if injured. We didn't replace Jones.

The Pats needs might not just be filled by FA but trades as well.

I rank the needs in this order:

1. A decent, serviceable LB. Some attractive names have been thrown around with the cuts.
2. Special teams gunner to replace Tebucky Jones while also adding depth at safety. Apparently a pro bowler from San Diego was released because he wanted to see more time at safety. Well, if you haven't started at DB but want to, New England is your place to go. How many DB's have we used the last 2 years?
3. Another solid WR. Nothing spectacular but decent. I think this can be filled by one of the many names cut today or even another ruprise trade.

I don't see any great weakness, BB may see some players he'd like and do some horse trading on the roster, but unless they can contribute on Special Teams with little practice time or are just too good to pass up, there is no urgent move needed.

mgteich said:
I believe that Mruc and Smith are simply warming the inactive portion of the bench as Pioli looks around for a LB and a STer.

The 49 man roster is what many had. Woods wasn't on some rosters, but was the next best LB when Gardner went down. We didn't have Gabriel (we had Branch or a free agent replacement.
---------------------------------
I congratulate anyone who had the last four right: Woods, Hill, Mruc and Smith! I had Hill, and had Chad Brown and Poteat coming back for the final two spots. Actually, I'm still fine with that, after the Game One guarantee has come and gone.
Some of us had Beisel as a STer, to replace Jones if injured. We didn't replace Jones.

While everything that is said needs to be taken with a grain of salt when a Head Coach says it, I tend to believe BB when he says 'whatever will improve the team'. If there is someone out there who upgrades a position and is a good fit? I think BB would try and land him. It's just his way.........

OK, I'll put it another way. IMHO, the players out there (or available for trade) that could upgrade this team play LB and/or ST's.

TheBostonStraggler said:
While everything that is said needs to be taken with a grain of salt when a Head Coach says it, I tend to believe BB when he says 'whatever will improve the team'. If there is someone out there who upgrades a position and is a good fit? I think BB would try and land him. It's just his way.........

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call