Welcome to PatsFans.com

These announcers need to stop

Discussion in 'PatsFans.com - Patriots Fan Forum' started by biffman, Nov 24, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. biffman

biffman Practice Squad Player

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

comparing Matt Ryan to Tom Brady. Ridiculous. I've been hearing it for weeks now. I hate John Meterparel (sp?).

2. letekro

letekro In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +150 / 18 / -13

I think if the comparison is to a young Tom Brady (i.e., college), I'm OK with it. I would even say he's better than Brady at a similar point in their development. His arm strength is probably a little better that Tom's was, and he has the same ability to move within the pocket. Of course, Tom made huge strides as a pro, but there is no reason to think Ryan won't be able to improve as well.

3. RhodyPatriot

RhodyPatriot In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +43 / 23 / -10

Meterparel is just awful. He got the BC gig because his name is Meterparel and not Smith. It's a Jason Wolfe thingy! ;)

4. TomBradyWoot

TomBradyWoot On the Game Day Roster

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

LOL Ryan is so overrated.

5. PatsWickedPissah

PatsWickedPissah PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +3,062 / 26 / -17

Disable Jersey

Agreed. He is simply the worst of the worst. I was listening to Dennis & Callahan the other monday (I only listen on Patriots Mondays anymore) and the little twerp from Weston made 2 totally ignorant, factually wrong statements about the Patriots. If I didn't have incipient alzheimers I'd cite what they were but it was basic stuff. This from someone PAID to know something about sports. The sad fact was that neither of D&C seemed to know any better themselves.

6. PatriotsReign

PatriotsReign Hall of Fame Poster

Ratings:
    +576 / 6 / -24

#18 Jersey

Meterparel has no right announcing anything. He is the worst announcer I've ever heard and the only one that actually make me feel uncomfortable.

I have called WEEI expressing my belief he should NOT be announcing BC games. Several of my friends feel the same way. As a matter of fact, I've never heard anyone ever say he's a good play-by-play guy.

His voice sounds forced and phony and the "Matty-Hiesman" thing is enough to make one puke.

7. PatriotsReign

PatriotsReign Hall of Fame Poster

Ratings:
    +576 / 6 / -24

#18 Jersey

I don't think he's overrated, but he's no where close to as good as the media says he is!:D :D

8. Remix 6

Remix 6 Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

i think Ryan is the most NFL ready QB.

ahead of Brohm and Woodson. Woodson's upside is the highest though and Brohm im not so sold on...neither am i on Ryan but hes just the most NFL ready

overrated? yes. So are Brohm and Woodson

9. vyrago

vyrago 2nd Team Getting Their First Start

Ratings:
    +19 / 2 / -1

This is a bit picky (oops. might be a pun in there), but he always sounds to me as if he should blow his nose.
    I agree that he is really uncomfortable to listen to--so I don't.

10. PonyExpress

PonyExpress In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +25 / 3 / -0

I think Ryan will be a franchise Qb. I've been watching him since his 1st start and he has shown special qualities throughout. He is playing with substandard skill position players, and a mediocre O-line for a BC team, which means he is much easier to evaluate for the Pro game. He has been fitting balls into tight spots, throwing from awkward angles, escaping the rush, leading comebacks in rain, cold, wind, and playing close games for years. He is unflappable, tough and shows great leadership qualities. His arm strength is adeqate, his field vision is superb, his height is ideal, is intelligence is top notch. IMO he is the best major program QB in the country. Tom Brady? No. But definitely a top 10 talent. If I were a team picking in the top 10 who needed a QB, I would snatch him up without hesitation. As far as Meterparel goes, I agree he is a bad announcer, though I find him more tolerable this season. Not sure how his being jewish has anything to do with getting that job, if that was what someone else was implying earlier in the thread. You'd think that would make it harder for him to get a job at a place like BC, frankly.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2007
  11. National Sports Advisors

National Sports Advisors Rotational Player and Threatening Starter's Job

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

I don't know what the love affair is with Matt Ryan. I know there are lot of BC fans in this area, but the kid is overrated. I'm sorry, I hate to take the air out of the balloon, but I just think the kid is going to be terrible in the pro's. Comparing him to Tom Brady is an insult to Tom Brady.

12. JDSal45

JDSal45 Third String But Playing on Special Teams

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

Its a comparison. Nobody is saying he is as good as Brady. Just their play style and some of their attributes. Charlie Weis made the EXACT same comparison when BC played Notre Dame. I think he knows a little something about football and Tom Brady.

And this is no defense of Meterperel. He is the single worst announcer I have every heard, any sport any level. Just horrible. But as for other announcers making a comparison of play styles? I have no problem with it.

J D Sal

13. National Sports Advisors

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

Ya, Charlie's problem is he thinks he knows it all. I wouldn't put too much stock in Charlie's comments on anything. Nice job he is doing at Notre Dame. :rolleyes:

14. PonyExpress

Ratings:
    +25 / 3 / -0

Well, look who showed up, it's Mel freaking Kiper. How ya doing Mel?

15. JDSal45

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

He's not doing a great job. But his football knowledge? I think I'd give it a bit more stock looking back at his ENTIRE resume than some anonymous message board poster who can fire off easy lines with no knowledge to back it up.

J D Sal

16. National Sports Advisors

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

Mel Kiper? I wasn't the one that just went into a 15 sentence diary about why Matt Ryan should be a top 10 pick my friend. Thanks for sharing though. Matty Heisman threw another 2 INTS today. Do me a favor. Tell me how many INTS the kid has thrown this year? A lot.

17. National Sports Advisors

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

I just looked it up. 28 TDs 16 INTS. That is less than a 2 to 1 TD/INT ratio in college! The kid is OVERRATED. He will be an INT machine in the pros.

18. PonyExpress

Ratings:
    +25 / 3 / -0

I was paying you a compliment, moron. Jeez, a bit touchy?

19. JDSal45

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

He's thrown 16 in 557 pass attempts. Or about 2.8% of his throws. Brady has thrown 82 career interceptions in 2,146 career attempts. Or about 3.8% of his throws.

J D Sal

20. National Sports Advisors

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

Who's touchy? You called me a moron. Stay classy San Diego. :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.