PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

There really aren't many roster decisions to make

Status
Not open for further replies.
My point is gay played great when we were stuck.

I could not base an opinion the he's great or even good based on a very limited body of work.

Out of 11 starts, how many did he start at corner? (he played safety and nickel too).

Did he face the same receiver twice? Did he even show up on the radar so opposing coaches broke down his film to look for flaws? For tendencies?

TBC played STs a lot and got his chance when Seau went down.

Until the San Diego game, people were saying the position was covered for years, he was great!

I've seen plenty of guys play great for a few games then fade away.

If that's all it takes for you to make a definitive judgment fine, I think it takes a lot longer to prove yourself in the NFL.

Fair enough. Although I have to say that I soured on TBC earlier than the SD game. I will admit that I wanted him in the lineup over Seau at the beginning of the year.

Fair enough. Although I have to say that I soured on TBC earlier than the SD game. I will admit that I wanted him in the lineup over Seau at the beginning of the year.

Good, I hate get into personalities or back and forth. I have no opinion on Gay other than thanks for the playoff run and I like Hobbs.

The fact is, we've been more well stocked at corner many years and ended up desperate.

Keep Richardson and hopefully, pick up a corner.

Our safety situation is strong, but we seem to have a lot of special teams guys as reserves who wouldn't likely play safety.

Maybe Mer. and Wilson will log some corner time.

G/C.

I have only two rooks making the squad: Meriweather and Kareem Brown.

=====================================

Seems odd that the Pats would only have 2 out of 9 rookies making the squad.

I am not sure if that speaks to the weak draft class, or means the Pats are flush with veteran tallent.

Either way that places more then average amount of Vets on special teams, which should be a good thing for the Pats.

Good, I hate get into personalities or back and forth. I have no opinion on Gay other than thanks for the playoff run and I like Hobbs.

The fact is, we've been more well stocked at corner many years and ended up desperate.

Keep Richardson and hopefully, pick up a corner.

Our safety situation is strong, but we seem to have a lot of special teams guys as reserves who wouldn't likely play safety.

Maybe Mer. and Wilson will log some corner time.

I completely agree with this one. NE is either banking on Samuel or (possibly *and* because after Gay it really drops off) the end to this ridiculous run of poor DB health.

They definitely seem to be considering the backup safeties the primary nickle and dime backs.

I am not sure if that speaks to the weak draft class, or means the Pats are flush with veteran tallent.

Either way that places more then average amount of Vets on special teams, which should be a good thing for the Pats.

It seems that both NE and NY felt the same about this class, they just took opposite steps. NY traded up to ensure that they go keepers. NE passed on nearly every first day pick and grabbed a bunch of guys hoping that one or two would stick. BB said something to the tune of, "they have guys going on the first day that grade out as UDFA on our board." No one expected more than 2-3 (and 2-3 was aggressive) of the later round guys to make the 53, although more should pass through to the PS.

I expect us to keep our first five draft picks:
Meriweather, a SF pick next year, Welker, an Oakland pick next year, Moss and Karem Brown.

It was indeed a poor draft. However, I expect several of the seven late round picks to make the Practice Squad. Although, I do not have it that way, it is quite possible that Rogers and/or Richardson will make the 53 man roster.

I like some of the rooks: Oldenberg, Rogers, Richardson Gutierrez and Elgin. Hilliard and Lua bring up the rear of the pack.

Last edited:
I completely agree with this one. NE is either banking on Samuel or (possibly *and* because after Gay it really drops off) the end to this ridiculous run of poor DB health.

They definitely seem to be considering the backup safeties the primary nickle and dime backs.
I think they are banking on Samuel signing the tag soon. Also, they weren't counting on Scott getting injured, he's been pretty decent in exactly those situations where Hobbs might struggle -- big, physical receivers. Lastly, I wonder if they're surprised Tory James is fighting like he is for a roster spot. I didn't think they brought him in to be camp fodder.

If Scott hadn't been injured, they'd be looking at Samuel, Hobbs, Scott, Gay, and Meriweather. That's good depth. I still think, with Samuel, it's not bad. Plus, as you point out, Wilson has corner skills, so putting Wilson and Sanders on the field, along with the CB's gives you good coverage all around the secondary.

Maybe I'm dreaming, but those blue pieces of sky haven't clobbered this little chicken. :)

Last edited:
Absent Asante, our top 6 DBs in some order are Hobbs, Gay, Harrison, Wilson, Sanders, and Meriweather. By any standard, that's somewhat skewed toward the safeties.

Asante makes 7, and brings it more in balance.

Depth is a bit thin, largely because the first rotation player to go on IR was a DB (Scott), one of the first goodbye-to-former-producer cuts was a DB (Hawkins), and the veteran pickups haven't shown much.

Without Asante it is very thin.

That's even before you note that Gay and Harrison have been injury-plagued in recent years, and none of the others happens to be a special shining paragon of durability.

That said, LB is just as thin. Only five players have proven they can get it done on the field, and two of them (Seau and Bruschi) have been pretty injury-prone recently.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST