PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

There is no QB controversy

Status
Not open for further replies.

jbrite911

On the Roster
Reaction score
I keep hearing these fools on the radio talking about trading Jimmy G, or worse, trading TB12. Its absolutely mind-blowing to listen to the lunacy that some of these tools are spewing.

First off, we have Jimmy G signed up till 2018, which means we can evaluate both him AND TB12 all of this year, and mid-way thru next year before we really have to start thinking about this. So it really comes down to 2 very important questions:

1: Has TB12 lost it, or is he still performing at a high level, and if he is, how long can he sustain it?
2:Is Jimmy G the real deal?

Granted, Jimmy G has performed far better than any of us expected, but let's be real here, its been 6 quarters. He took a hit and was injured BECAUSE he lacks the experience and know-how to protect himself from those hits. Now we know that will be learned over time, but the question is, will he learn it here, or somewhere else.

At this point in time, the value on Jimmy G is honestly more than a 1st round pick. I think we can all agree that both TB12 AND JG are worth a first round pick each at least, but to me, Jimmy G is worth at least a 1st, and a 3rd.

If he plays next week, and performs at a high level, I would NOT be surprised to see him traded before the trade deadline.

I DO NOT see BB & Co. paying to slap a franchise tag on him at a cost of 22-23m, thus spending 45m of our cap money on QBs. I just don't see it ever happening.

So unless Brady comes back and sucks badly, he is 100% safe, and barring injury to TB12, Jimmy G will have to man up and wait until Brady retires, or he will be traded. I'd much rather take my chances with a 6 time SB appearance 39 year old QB who still has passion, than 1 6 quarter QB who was crafted very specific game plans by a genius coaching staff.

So while I love what I have seen from Jimmy G, I need to see A LOT more from him in order to be sold. Brady is proven. Brady is the GOAT, and he has as much passion now, as he did when he first entered the league. I will go with the proven winner.

Thoughts?

I doubt anyone on here believes there's a QB controversy. At least... I hope no one believes that

I was stuck in traffic this morning and its all I heard on the radio..../sigh.

There is no controversy since the Pats win with whoever they put in

Of course it will be Brady in 2 weeks
If for any reason Brady can't go, then Jimmy will go
If Jimmy can't go, then Jacoby will go.

pretty simple and straightforward.......what happens after the season is simply too far away

now close the thread

OT: What I like is that whatever this team accomplishes this year all 3 QB's will feel like they were a part of it.

listen here you couch side GM.

We have 6 first round picks coming next year when we trade brady to the 49'ers and jimmy to wherever josh ends up, and then our 2017 Future HOF qb jacoby brisset is going to lead us to 15 superbowls.

No controversy at all.

The plan seems pretty obvious to me.

Brady plays until his play falls off a cliff. If it is this year, we will likely keep Jimmy around for next season at the very least. If he plays great for the rest of the season, Jimmy will be traded for a king's ransom (the timing of this trade, I can't predict). No matter what happens Jacoby will continue to be groomed for the duration of his rookie contract.

I think even the most optmistic person would agree that Tommy has, at best, 2 or 3 years left in him. So, in all honesty, we are in a perfect situation here. We have TWO potential successors who are both under control for at least 2 seasons (including this one). If Father Time catches up to Brady sooner than expected, we are fine. If he doesn't, well, Jimmy can be traded for a good return and Jacoby should be ready in 3 years.

Really, the only question that should be asked is : "How the **** have they ended up in such a good situation?"

listen here you couch side GM.

We have 6 first round picks coming next year when we trade brady to the 49'ers and jimmy to wherever josh ends up, and then our 2017 Future HOF qb jacoby brisset is going to lead us to 15 superbowls.

The t-shirt slogans will take care of themselves "One for the right big toe"

There is no controversy since the Pats win with whoever they put in

Of course it will be Brady in 2 weeks
If for any reason Brady can't go, then Jimmy will go
If Jimmy can't go, then Jacoby will go.

pretty simple and straightforward.......what happens after the season is simply too far away

now close the thread

That sums things up perfectly.

There's a QB controversy just not the one everyone wants to push. The real controversy comes this week. Do you start a banged up Jimmy or the healthy rook.

No controversy at all.

The plan seems pretty obvious to me.

Brady plays until his play falls off a cliff. If it is this year, we will likely keep Jimmy around for next season at the very least. If he plays great for the rest of the season, Jimmy will be traded for a king's ransom (the timing of this trade, I can't predict). No matter what happens Jacoby will continue to be groomed for the duration of his rookie contract.

I think even the most optmistic person would agree that Tommy has, at best, 2 or 3 years left in him. So, in all honesty, we are in a perfect situation here. We have TWO potential successors who are both under control for at least 2 seasons (including this one). If Father Time catches up to Brady sooner than expected, we are fine. If he doesn't, well, Jimmy can be traded for a good return and Jacoby should be ready in 3 years.

Really, the only question that should be asked is : "How the **** have they ended up in such a good situation?"

I am not sure why anyone think JB is the QB of our future. He comes from the Michael Vick mold and when I saw him run those few times last night, I nearly had a heart attack. He over-threw a wide open Hogan, missed on Edelman in the endzone, and had 3 or 4 terrible throws.

Now I get he is a total rookie, and I commend him for doing what needed to be done last night, but lets be honest. Our defense and special teams won that game. JB had very LITTLE, if anything to do with it. Heck, I think Allen's contributions were far more important than JB and he is our punter.

I am not sold on JB who only threw for 100 yards or so with a lousy 72.9 Quarter back rating. That being said, I really hope we get to see more Jimmy G, because I think him and Hogan will light it up against Rex and the Jills next week.

I am not sure why anyone think JB is the QB of our future. He comes from the Michael Vick mold and when I saw him run those few times last night, I nearly had a heart attack. He over-threw a wide open Hogan, missed on Edelman in the endzone, and had 3 or 4 terrible throws.

Now I get he is a total rookie, and I commend him for doing what needed to be done last night, but lets be honest. Our defense and special teams won that game. JB had very LITTLE, if anything to do with it. Heck, I think Allen's contributions were far more important than JB and he is our punter.

I am not sold on JB who only threw for 100 yards or so with a lousy 72.9 Quarter back rating. That being said, I really hope we get to see more Jimmy G, because I think him and Hogan will light it up against Rex and the Jills next week.

First start, rookie year, short week of practice and the guy showed a lot of poise. Sure, he made mistakes, no one wouldn't under the same circumstances. I am not saying he is going to be a star, I am saying that, judging by what we saw yesterday and in the preseason, he should at least be a very serviceable starter. Will he be Brady? Probably not.

I wasn't nervous when he ran... because he was smart about it. When there was no clear openings, he was sliding and protecting himself. He didn't try to do too much and took what was there. Great sign of maturity at such an early stage of his career. That's something I LOVE in QBs. Be smart, understand the situation and react accordingly. He showed that he at least understood that. It means he is smart. We know he has physical tools. With good coaching, I don't see how he could not at least be a middle of the road starter.

If that is what we get post-Brady, I will be happy. Of course, finding our own Steve Young/Aaron Rodger would be better, but we have to be realistic.

Bill Belichick very clearly addressed it this preseason. ************.....

Bill Belichick very clearly addressed it this preseason. ************.....

Addressed what?

no... Big arm, strong body, patient, NOTHING like Vick.

Think Jameis Winston with double the IQ, double the work ethic, and double the integrity.

I hope you are right sir! I just question his throwing accuracy, but to be honest, I have not seen enough to make a fair judgement either way.

I wasn't nervous when he ran... because he was smart about it. When there was no clear openings, he was sliding and protecting himself. He didn't try to do too much and took what was there. Great sign of maturity at such an early stage of his career. That's something I LOVE in QBs. Be smart, understand the situation and react accordingly. He showed that he at least understood that. It means he is smart. We know he has physical tools. With good coaching, I don't see how he could not at least be a middle of the road starter..

I don't think I would be nervous normally, but was last night just because of our current QB situation. I tend to be a pessimist when it comes to not having a reliable plan B if JB were to be injured.

Heck, I have been predicting that we will see a few NFL teams send in a scrub to kill drives that are building momentum, by hitting the starting QB head to head just to force him out of the game due to the new concussion protocol policy.....Obviously, with so many for Patriots coaches/players on the Texans, I DIDN'T think that would be an issue last night, but I think we will see it over the course of the year and the questions will be asked.

Anytime I see a 3rd string QB be mobile like that, I am going to panic, and my blood pressure will sky-rocket...just because of the increase risk of head shots and injury.

I don't think I would be nervous normally, but was last night just because of our current QB situation. I tend to be a pessimist when it comes to not having a reliable plan B if JB were to be injured.

Heck, I have been predicting that we will see a few NFL teams send in a scrub to kill drives that are building momentum, by hitting the starting QB head to head just to force him out of the game due to the new concussion protocol policy.....Obviously, with so many for Patriots coaches/players on the Texans, I DIDN'T think that would be an issue last night, but I think we will see it over the course of the year and the questions will be asked.

Anytime I see a 3rd string QB be mobile like that, I am going to panic, and my blood pressure will sky-rocket...just because of the increase risk of head shots and injury.

I totally understand the feeling. Of course, it would have been a disaster if he got hurt so I understand the nervousness. However, his style of running, the timing of his runs and how smart he his with his slides made me quite comfortable.

IMO, something will NEED to be done after this year.

Either Jimmy G or (God forbid) TB12 will have to go. It's the quintessential "Rich Man's problem". Jimmy's value is the greatest after this year. They can get a better pick combo because the recipient will have a starter-level QB still on his rookie contract for an additional year. That is a better vantage point from which to negotiate a long-term deal. Once that expires, he can be franchised, but that will exponentially raise his cost to the Patriots and lower his value to the recipient team.

He will however, be only 25 and Brady will be 40. At some point in the very near future, TB's viability as a player will fall off of a cliff. Do they want to be without the "next guy" when that happens? JB hasn't yet shown that he can be that guy, but JG has (again...IMO). TB can still garner a #1, even at 40. I hate the thought of Brady's Patriotic mortality, but the time is coming...and that right soon. Unless TB wins a SB this year, I think that the Pats will stay with Jimmy. BB will stay with his program, even at the expense of an immortal.

I don't want it to happen. I am just trying to prepare myself emotionally for when it does.

I keep hearing these fools on the radio talking about trading Jimmy G
You say they're fools for talking about trading Jimmy G then proceed to talk about trading Jimmy G. I don't know who you're listening to and they may be fools, but discussing the Pats QBs isn't foolish. JG's play has created a very real situation to grapple with, and I'm not sure what the answer is.

We've already beaten this to death.
One of the few topics worthy of chewing on a lot, I think.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
Back