PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

There is no QB controversy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Agreed, Bisquick is the guy.

The only question is in 2017 and 2018 if you need to part with 1 QB or trade one who is it? This year that should not be an issue unless some crazy offer is made.

Obviously Jimmy will play longer than Brady as this point some huge injury aside but right now Brady is better and we are unsure how much longer he will be better. 1 year? 2? 5? No one can say for sure.

I have a large suspicion when it comes to QBs playing at a high level into their 40s Brady will break new ground as he is very good and takes great care of himself. However eventually it just falls.

I don't see the Patriots trading Brady unless they get his okay otherwise they simply cut him and let him pick his team. I could see the Pats trading Jimmy and for a lot potentially but i am unsure if they will.

IMO, something will NEED to be done after this year.

Either Jimmy G or (God forbid) TB12 will have to go. It's the quintessential "Rich Man's problem". Jimmy's value is the greatest after this year. They can get a better pick combo because the recipient will have a starter-level QB still on his rookie contract for an additional year. That is a better vantage point from which to negotiate a long-term deal. Once that expires, he can be franchised, but that will exponentially raise his cost to the Patriots and lower his value to the recipient team.

He will however, be only 25 and Brady will be 40. At some point in the very near future, TB's viability as a player will fall off of a cliff. Do they want to be without the "next guy" when that happens? JB hasn't yet shown that he can be that guy, but JG has (again...IMO). TB can still garner a #1, even at 40. I hate the thought of Brady's Patriotic mortality, but the time is coming...and that right soon. Unless TB wins a SB this year, I think that the Pats will stay with Jimmy. BB will stay with his program, even at the expense of an immortal.

I don't want it to happen. I am just trying to prepare myself emotionally for when it does.

I don't think there is ANY chance of TB12 being traded. Kraft simply won't allow it, seeing all he has done for us. As far as JG, he played 6 quarters....SIX QUARTERS. I don't care if he threw for 2500 yards and 23 TDs in those 6 quarters, its still only 6 quarters. I need to see much more to have faith that he is our future.

Guys, the salary cap implication of trading Brady before 2019 would be WORSE than signing Garoppolo to a starter deal to sit on the bench. Trading Brady is out of the question.

You say they're fools for talking about trading Jimmy G then proceed to talk about trading Jimmy G. I don't know who you're listening to and they may be fools, but discussing the Pats QBs isn't foolish. JG's play has created a very real situation to grapple with, and I'm not sure what the answer is.

No, I am saying that any discussion regarding trading Brady at this point is stupid. I think it is too early, and I also think we have not seen enough of JG to determine definitively that he is indeed the QB of our future.

HOWEVER,

If there was a QB to be traded, it would be Jimmy G as he is worth more than Brady due to his age...especially if we think JB has a shot at being the QB of our future. Simply put, with the salary cap, we can not and will not keep both on our roster for next year....We are good THIS year if we want to wait and see how Brady performs.

There are currently 2 teams that will absolutely over-pay for Jimmy G right now...I honestly think we could get a top 5 pick, as well as a 2nd or 3rd rounder for him today....and we all know BB will end up turning that into something stupid like 11 second rounders, 17 3rd rounders, and a high end first rounder over the next 3 years LOL.

Think Jameis Winston with double the IQ, double the work ethic, and double the integrity.

That's a pretty great comp. Would you believe that Winston and Brissett both stand exactly 6'3 3/4" 231 lbs? Two big, athletic, strong-armed QBs who entered the league needing to shorten their deliveries and improve their touch on short passes. Needless to say, though, their characters and personalities seem worlds apart.

Last edited:
You realize that the context Belichick said that has nothing to do with this, right?

You realize that when BB said this he pretty much ended any talk of a QB controversy, right?

You realize that when BB said this he pretty much ended any talk of a QB controversy, right?

We have a rookie who is quite possibly good enough to be Brady's backup for the next three years. The coaches, past and present, believe in him.

The controversy and discussion is when Jimmy will go. There is no reason that he HAS to go, even after this season. However, some team could make a tempting offer.

Very good QB's don't come around that often. I hear many saying trade Jimmy G for a first rounder. Well, I value a very good QB much higher than a first round pick that might might not ever become an impact player. If Bill believes Jimmy is the franchise QB of the future, how the heck do you trade him with Brady being 40? Very tough situation. In regards to Brisett..I don't think he factors into this equation at all, he's just average IMO.

We have a rookie who is quite possibly good enough to be Brady's backup for the next three years. The coaches, past and present, believe in him.

The controversy and discussion is when Jimmy will go. There is no reason that he HAS to go, even after this season. However, some team could make a tempting offer.

This is my point

Besides the meaningless passing yards, :D Brady also has 876 rushing yards (172 1st downs) with 17 rushing TD's....11 Tackles on Defense...60 receiving yards....& 68 punting yards (though he only punted once, it was inside the 20). What QB controversy?!?? Lol

Let's not go overboard after one game.

Let's not go overboard after one game.

No one is going overboard after one game. Belichick drafted a player who he hoped would be our QB of the future (why else draft a qb). After camps, a preseason, and his first start, everything supports the idea that the plan may work out.

That's a pretty great comp. Would you believe that Winston and Brissett both stand exactly 6'3 3/4" 231 lbs? Two big, athletics, strong-armed QBs who entered the league needing to shorten their deliveries and improve their touch on short passes. Needless to say, though, their characters and personalities seem worlds apart.
pretty similar combine numbers. brissett has bigger hands:

fQ0iiVw.jpg

NeMzhTO.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes