PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The Vinny Question answered?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Eyewitness testimony can be so demoralizing.

Yeah, never let good facts get in the way of fevered speculation.

This was a stupid thread last week. It is stupider this week.

Please let this thread die an ignominious death. :violent:

R

Those who are insulting my theory aren't answering my question. If Vinny was insurance and the 3rd QB why not sign him or someone else in camp or earlier in the season. To the guy that said he spends the game talking to Cassel, isn't one of them wearing a headset?

Don't bother dude. Free thinking is not welcomed here. The most intelligent response you can expect are from some blowhard who validates his own pitiful existence by reading posts from similar blowhards who spend their whole lives on this site, formulating other's ideas into his own ridiculous 30 posts a day, and calls you a 'fanboy' for putting forth a differing opinion.

As if the concept of veteran presence is so far fetched. Do you find it strange that the lemurs are so ready to jump on you, they interpret your suggestion that Vinny has been contributing his experience to meaning that he is calling the plays? Why bother if they don't read your initial post? One is so firm in his superiority he crows that Brady has played more games than Testaverde. Pathetic.

Those who are insulting my theory aren't answering my question. If Vinny was insurance and the 3rd QB why not sign him or someone else in camp or earlier in the season. To the guy that said he spends the game talking to Cassel, isn't one of them wearing a headset?

Neither you nor your theory should be insulted, but the fact that the Patriots did without a 3rd string QB for more than half a season does not mean that, ergo, Vinny T is now the defacto offensive coordinator.

When BB felt like there were enough quality veteran free agent QBs out there to sign earlier in the season if he needed them, he saved a roster spot by keeping only 2 QBs.

Now, as injuries are piling up around the league and there's less free agent depth at QB, BB makes the wise move to secure the services of someone he's familiar with in case he should need him, rather than have no one but a Todd Bowman to turn to.

There's no logical basis to suggest that signing a 3rd string QB prior to game 10 means he's calling plays.

The problem is that fanboys around here think Vinnie is involved with the COACHING, and people like you that should know better are feeding the fire. Vinnie has little to no input with Brady.

Of course, some seem to think that the notion that Vinny and Brady may talk about *gasp* football somehow "feeds the flames of conspiracy theories that Vinny - with all of 2 weeks getting to know the personnel on the team - is now calling plays.

That's about as idiotic as suggesting that he's calling plays in the first place.

Of course they are talking about football and comparing notes about plays and defensive schemes... that's what these guys do for a living.

Don't bother dude. Free thinking is not welcomed here. The most intelligent response you can expect are from some blowhard who validates his own pitiful existence by reading posts from similar blowhards who spend their whole lives on this site, formulating other's ideas into his own ridiculous 30 posts a day, and calls you a 'fanboy' for putting forth a differing opinion.

As if the concept of veteran presence is so far fetched. Do you find it strange that the lemurs are so ready to jump on you, they interpret your suggestion that Vinny has been contributing his experience to meaning that he is calling the plays? Why bother if they don't read your initial post? One is so firm in his superiority he crows that Brady has played more games than Testaverde. Pathetic.

You must be that missing link the scientists are looking for.

It was Jeffd that suggested Vinnie is 'coaching' in his initial post. Apparently you are the only one to have failed to read it.

Secondly, it was suggested that Brady has started 'almost' as many games as Vinnie, not 'as' many. Brady has started 100 games. 11 playoff games of which 3 were superbowl victories. It could not be argued, except perhaps by a lemur like you, that Vinnie has remotely as much BIG GAME experience as Brady.

Jeffd makes all the suggestions himself. So far you alone don't exhibit the ability to understand this thread, or for that manner, the difference between having a veteran as a third string QB and the reckless speculation thrown around here lately that Vinnie is either a coach/QB coach/play caller.

And yes, it is an insult to this coaching staff, and to Brady, to suggest that some failed QB off the street is going to do anything more than what he was brought here to do, which is be a third string veteran QB.

Free thinking is always welcome. Wild speculation and misleading theories are shot down so as to keep this site from being full of garbage.

At least master the skill of reading before you respond, and try to say something remotely intelligent.

JoeSixPat:

Vinnie is a third string QB, and that's the full story.

His input is somewhere between zero and very minimal.

Last edited:
JoeSixPat:

Vinnie is a third string QB, and that's the full story.

His input is somewhere between zero and very minimal.

5 Rings: Trust me on this. Brady and Vinny T have talked in the last few weeks. They've talked before, during and after practices.

They've even talked on the sidelines during games.

And you know what they are probably talking about?

That's right. Football.

That doesn't make him a coach. That doesn't make him an offensive coordinator. That makes him what he is - a veteran backup QB who has spent a lot of time playing in the AFC East.

What exactly is your hangup that that you need to convince everyone that Testaverde and Brady are prohibited from talking about football with each other?

Are you just parroting the "BB speak" that accompanied Testaverde's signing that people shouldn't make too big a deal about his joining the team?

Here's the full story: Testaverde is a guy who has had a bunch of familiarity with this offense. He's a good player to have around the team, especially with his experience, and can probably be a big help to a guy like Cassel, even if he's not officially a coach.

Last edited:
There is no doubt in myu mind that Vinny was brought in for multiple reasons.

1: Certainly as an experienced backup.
Certainly so.

2: To help Brady, along the sidline, with another pair of Quarterback eyes.

Uh, then WHY does he never sit with or talk to Brady along the sidelines???? There not only is no evidence for this opinion, but the evidence directly contradicts the baseless opinion.

3: To offer input into the playcalling. Not necessarily to call the plays, but to offer input if he sees something or thinks that something might work in a given situation.

Then why does he not talk with Josh, BB or whomever during the game? Wait, I get it! He uses mental telepathy! Hey, it's a theory or opinion.

Personally, I believe that the latter was the main reason. I believe that Belichick respects Vinny's experience and his knowledge of offensive, NFL football and that was the main reason he is now on our sideline....

Belichick, again only my opinion, is not tickled pink with the boy Offensive coordinator who is being skunked and out guessed and out coached by most of the DC's on the other side of the field on game days.

Opinion. May be true but there's little evidence to support it.

Facts, so pesky when baseless opinion is so beloved.

Yes, Vinnie is calling all the plays now.

McDaniels has been getting the coffee and with the extra time has turned into quite a baker, with Macadamia Nut Chocolate cookies his specialty.:D

Do tell!....

dreamer!!!!!!!

God, I thought this crap had died away already.

Vinnie has nothing to do with game planning, nothing to do with play calling, nothing to do with game time adjustments and he is not coaching Brady on the field.

He is the third string QB.

Honestly, this is about the dumbest conspiracy theory I have heard ever, and the sad part is that people keep bringing it up. :rolleyes:

It seems like a waste of time to have to explain again that the Pats would hire a coach if that is what they needed.

You guys need to get a grip on reality.

Yeah guys, dont you know 5 Rings is the end all and be all of Patriots Lore..

Yeah guys, dont you know 5 Rings is the end all and be all of Patriots Lore..

No - I think he's just repeating BB's mantra from when Testaverde was signed and is taking it far too literally, insiting that Testaverde has "zero" input.

Maybe it also has something to do with his fandom of Brady in that he's threatened by the thought that Brady might actually solicit and consider advice from a 20 year veteran of the NFL who has spent quite a few years in the AFC East and has even played for Coach Belichick before.

Last edited:
5 Rings: Trust me on this. Brady and Vinny T have talked in the last few weeks. They've talked before, during and after practices.

They've even talked on the sidelines during games.

And you know what they are probably talking about?

That's right. Football.

That doesn't make him a coach. That doesn't make him an offensive coordinator. That makes him what he is - a veteran backup QB who has spent a lot of time playing in the AFC East.

What exactly is your hangup that that you need to convince everyone that Testaverde and Brady are prohibited from talking about football with each other?

Are you just parroting the "BB speak" that accompanied Testaverde's signing that people shouldn't make too big a deal about his joining the team?

Here's the full story: Testaverde is a guy who has had a bunch of familiarity with this offense. He's a good player to have around the team, especially with his experience, and can probably be a big help to a guy like Cassel, even if he's not officially a coach.

I don't have a problem with what you say and I don't disagree with it. You understand the situation. I have never suggested that he doesn't talk to Brady. But the fact remains that Brady doesn't need his advice, and is probably not asking for it either.

My point is aimed at those that are really into this theory that Vinnie is involved in coaching and game planning and helping Brady. He is no more than a third string QB.

If people want to suggest that he was brought in to help Cassel, that is at least possible. He was brought in to be a back up. If he helps Cassel, it will be as a friend or veteran on the same team. But that is not what people have been suggesting, the theories have been far broader than that.

The speculation about Vinnie has not been about him helping Cassel, it has been about him calling plays or overruling McDaniels or forming game plans or coaching Brady, and it is frankly growing old which is why you should help me nip it in the bud by letting these types of speculative threads die off.

I don't disagree with your assessment of the situation, but Vinnie is nothing more than a back up QB. It is silly to suggest that he is making a difference in Brady's career, or saving the coaches from McDaniels. He is a third string QB. You haven't made those claims so I don't know what we are going around in circles about, to be honest. ;)

No - I think he's just repeating BB's mantra from when Testaverde was signed and is taking it far too literally, insiting that Testaverde has "zero" input.

Maybe it also has something to do with his fandom of Brady in that he's threatened by the thought that Brady might actually solicit and consider advice from a 20 year veteran of the NFL who has spent quite a few years in the AFC East and has even played for Coach Belichick before.

You are getting further off track. I think that the situation is as simple as you have described it to be. He's a guy on the team that knows the system and can play back up QB. Any leadership he shows is a bonus, but will not make any real difference in Brady's career.

Maybe he has a snippet or two that brightens Brady's day. So, big deal. The team will do just as well without his input, with perhaps the exception of Cassel, which again is being speculative and reading a lot into the situation.

Again, I think we are seeing the same situation. The difference is that I am a little tired of seeing people read all kinds of things into a very straightforward situation.

So, you spend three hours on SUnday afternoons watching Vinny? You have missed some good football games.

It is very obvious to anyone with any fottball itelligence that Vinny has input. Is his input accepted? Maybe. Maybe not. But there is no doubt to peiople who understand this game, that he is offering input, and he is being asked for input..IMO, of course.

No it is NOT obvious. Not during the game as you repeatedly maintain.

You self-servingly blow off factual observation that contradicts your pet theory. Proof that your silly opinion is yet again baseless bloviationl

But then, we all knew that already.

No it is NOT obvious. Not during the game as you repeatedly maintain.

You self-servingly blow off factual observation that contradicts your pet theory. Proof that your silly opinion is yet again baseless bloviationl

But then, we all knew that already.

This is the equivalent of Boeing hiring a guy to tighten lug nuts and asking him to design a new plane.

This is the equivalent of Boeing hiring a guy to tighten lug nuts and asking him to design a new plane.

Thank you Andy, for cutting thru the crap and getting to the point!

And by the way, where have you been, or have I just not seen your posts lately?

You are getting further off track. I think that the situation is as simple as you have described it to be. He's a guy on the team that knows the system and can play back up QB. Any leadership he shows is a bonus, but will not make any real difference in Brady's career.

Maybe he has a snippet or two that brightens Brady's day. So, big deal. The team will do just as well without his input, with perhaps the exception of Cassel, which again is being speculative and reading a lot into the situation.

Again, I think we are seeing the same situation. The difference is that I am a little tired of seeing people read all kinds of things into a very straightforward situation.

Well, just try to keep in mind that you seem to be seeing things a bit different from Tom Brady and Vinnie Testaverde too:

http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/articles/2006/11/16/vinny_tests_his_arm/

"It's been fun to have him in the last day or two," Brady said. "He's a real nice guy who has had a bunch of familiarity with this offense. It will be nice to have another guy around, especially with his experience. He'll bring some leadership, a lot of what this team needs. We've got to start playing more consistently and hopefully he brings another aspect of some consistency."

http://www.patriots.com/news/index.cfm?ac=latestnewsdetail&pid=22492&pcid=47

"I am here to help in any way I can. If that's taking some snaps on the scout team and helping Matt out so that he can also better prepare himself with what he has to get done, then yes. "

I also remember Brady on EEI a week or two ago talking about how great it was to have someone with 20 years of experience like Testaverde on the team... seems like an odd comment to make about someone who has "zero" input

Well, just try to keep in mind that you seem to be seeing things a bit different from Tom Brady and Vinnie Testaverde too:

I also remember Brady on EEI a week or two ago talking about how great it was to have someone with 20 years of experience like Testaverde on the team... seems like an odd comment to make about someone who has "zero" input

Sounds like he is helping out Matt, which again is not what the speculation has been about. It has been about Vinnie as the play caller, game plan coach and as Brady's QB coach.

I'm not sure what else Brady would say about him except something nice about his veteran leadership. Again, it doesn't mean he is coaching Brady. Flutie, Jim Miller, Huard and even Bledsoe would have contributed similar veteran tidbits.

If you are determined to read a lot into the signing, go ahead. But until Brady comes out and says Vinnie is his QB coach, Vinnie is just a veteran third stringer, like several before him that played with Brady.

Uh, replay Tom's past praise about Flutie.
Same old Patriots-speak.

This is not to say that Brady, Belichick, et. al, don't respect Vinnie's experience. Just saying that the ludicrous claims of Vinnie assisting the starting QB or offensive coaching during the game have no basis in fact.

Those who just love to argue and post oblivious of fact may continue to spout wild theories.

Status
Not open for further replies.

2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft