PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The Vinny Question answered?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jeffd

On the Game Day Roster
Reaction score
I've noticed over the past two weeks the playcalling has been significantly different, and better (aside from the double reverse, ughh). My initial feeling was that Brady needed a vet QB helping him out on the sideline. My new theory is that the coaching staff needed a vet QB's help on the sideline.

I don't think that's a new theory - it was the one widely touted when he was signed... though not as a playcaller per se... just a veteran QB on the sideline for Brady to bounce things off of, along with McDaniels as Brady himself has the authority to change plays at the line.

As one of the few teams that wasn't carrying a 3rd QB on the roster (and keep in mind that the 3rd String QB doesn't count on the active game day roster) I think its also valid to note that its just prudent to have an emergency QB available (aside from Troy Brown)

Although none of us want to think about it, at this time of the season it makes sense to have someone signed so you don't have to scramble to sign a QB off the trash heap.

Now the thought that one would need to turn to their 3rd string QB is about as likely as Green Bay seeing both their starter and his backup injured in the same game, but it can happen.

If God forbid something like that happened to us, would you be thankful for having an (overly) experienced veteran QB like Testaverde, or would you rather be left with a choice of someone like Todd Bouman to take your team into the playoffs?

Or, to put it another way - who do you think the Packers would prefer - Bouman or Testaverde?

It's like the draft - if you like a guy, you need to pick him before someone else does.

Sorry but this had nothing to do with playcalling. I just dont believe they called in Vinny Testaverde so Tom could "bounce" things off of him. Hes just an insurance policy for the team, nothing more nothing less.

Sorry but this had nothing to do with playcalling. I just dont believe they called in Vinny Testaverde so Tom could "bounce" things off of him. Hes just an insurance policy for the team, nothing more nothing less.

If that's the case then why didn't they sign him or someone else in June, July, August or even September? Also, how do you account for the significant change in the playcalling? You can argue whether it's been better or worse but it has definately been different.

God, I thought this crap had died away already.

Vinnie has nothing to do with game planning, nothing to do with play calling, nothing to do with game time adjustments and he is not coaching Brady on the field.

He is the third string QB.

Honestly, this is about the dumbest conspiracy theory I have heard ever, and the sad part is that people keep bringing it up. :rolleyes:

It seems like a waste of time to have to explain again that the Pats would hire a coach if that is what they needed.

You guys need to get a grip on reality.

Yes, Vinnie is calling all the plays now.

McDaniels has been getting the coffee and with the extra time has turned into quite a baker, with Macadamia Nut Chocolate cookies his specialty.:D

Yes, Vinnie is calling all the plays now.

McDaniels has been getting the coffee and with the extra time has turned into quite a baker, with Macadamia Nut Chocolate cookies his specialty.:D

And now that Vinnie plans the games as well, and tells Belichick what to do each week, and gives Belichick all of his secret insights into the NFL that no coach of 27 years could possibly know; Belichick has been seen laughing it up with McDaniels on Monday, which is now baking day for the whole staff, and even getting into food fights with the cookie batter. ;)

God, I thought this crap had died away already.

Vinnie has nothing to do with game planning, nothing to do with play calling, nothing to do with game time adjustments and he is not coaching Brady on the field.

He is the third string QB.

Honestly, this is about the dumbest conspiracy theory I have heard ever, and the sad part is that people keep bringing it up. :rolleyes:

It seems like a waste of time to have to explain again that the Pats would hire a coach if that is what they needed.

You guys need to get a grip on reality.

Vinny T isn't calling the plays - but you have to think that with another set of veteran QB eyes on the field Brady and Vinny discuss strategy and other aspects of the game...

It'd be idiotic and naive to think that DOESN'T happen and that there ISN'T some benefit to Brady from that... but again, if anything happened to Brady, would you prefer to have a veteran QB already on the squad or would you rather be scrambling to find someone like Todd Bowman?

I think its a no-brainer. They have the cap space, they've benefited from having the roster spot this far into the season - now it makes the most sense to cover yourself with some insurance in the form of Testeverde

I've noticed over the past two weeks the playcalling has been significantly different, and better (aside from the double reverse, ughh). My initial feeling was that Brady needed a vet QB helping him out on the sideline. My new theory is that the coaching staff needed a vet QB's help on the sideline.

Interesting theory.
Of course it has nothing to do with fact.

I go to the games.
I sit right behind the Pats bench and watch the players. Stuff you can't see on TV.
Brady spends most of his off-field time alone.
Testaverde stands next to and talks to Cassell. Only. No Josh, no BB. ALL game.

On occasion, when Brady comes off during a TO, ALL the QBs come over and listen while Josh, Brady and BB discuss strategy.

Testaverde has little IF ANY at all game input to Brady or the coaches.

We now return the Forum to unfounded ludicrous speculation, devoid of fact.

Last edited:
What is Vinny gonna see on that field that our coaches, and all the people who are payed to watch every inch of that field, with binoculars and Tv gear dont see? Testaverde is not seeing things on defense and helping Brady. Brady knows how to read a defense, and Im sure if he gets puzzled he'll ask our many highly skilled coaches. The only thing Vinny could teach Brady is how to throw late 4th quarter INT's. Thats something Vinny was real good at. Come on people, like others have said hes simply a vet. emergency backup, who wont have googily eyes if he gets thrown into the fire. Id find it very disturbing if they actually brought him in as some kind of consultant. I watch every game and I havent seen a difference in play calling. Maybe it seems that way when they execute better.

Vinny T isn't calling the plays - but you have to think that with another set of veteran QB eyes on the field Brady and Vinny discuss strategy and other aspects of the game...

It'd be idiotic and naive to think that DOESN'T happen and that there ISN'T some benefit to Brady from that... but again, if anything happened to Brady, would you prefer to have a veteran QB already on the squad or would you rather be scrambling to find someone like Todd Bowman?

I think its a no-brainer. They have the cap space, they've benefited from having the roster spot this far into the season - now it makes the most sense to cover yourself with some insurance in the form of Testeverde

Everybody thinks the signing of Vinnie is a no-brainer. To have a veteran back-up after watching Brady get pounded for a few weeks in a row is obvious.

The problem is that fanboys around here think Vinnie is involved with the COACHING, and people like you that should know better are feeding the fire. Vinnie has little to no input with Brady. Brady is a far more accompolished QB who probably has played almost as many games as Vinnie by now. Brady is the 'A+' student at the head of the class, and Vinnie is the 'C-' student who has stayed back a year and therefore sits in the back row.

I really think you are misguided in suggesting that some new guy on this well oiled team is suddenly providing Brady with insight. Vinnie's input is probably zero, but at the very most is background noise from the 3rd string QB.

It is just plain insulting when fanboys suggest that Vinnie is helping the coaching staff.

Don't think Vinnie was signed to "help" Tom or the coaching staff. I see it as QB insurance...nothing more.

What's any back-up QB, veteran or not, going to say to a two time SB MVP and three time SB winning QB anyway?

I do like the signing. I like the idea of the Pat's having a seasoned 3rd string QB like VT on the bench. Just in case...

I personally think Vinnie is the defacto QB coach.

Wonderboy has enough on his plate just calling the plays and what can he really tell Brady about about playing QB anyway?

Vinnie's a very loose humorous type and Tom Is a little tightly wound, if anything. He can work on his mechanics or just bull**** like he did with Charlie.
A buffer between Brady and BB, if you will.

My opinion, for what it's worth.

Those who are insulting my theory aren't answering my question. If Vinny was insurance and the 3rd QB why not sign him or someone else in camp or earlier in the season. To the guy that said he spends the game talking to Cassel, isn't one of them wearing a headset?

Those who are insulting my theory aren't answering my question. If Vinny was insurance and the 3rd QB why not sign him or someone else in camp or earlier in the season. To the guy that said he spends the game talking to Cassel, isn't one of them wearing a headset?

Nobody is insulting your theory. Just calling a spade a spade. Or in this case, wrong is wrong. Your theory is not valid enough to be 'insulted', even if it is the hot conspiracy amoung the fanboys this week. To be insulted, your theory would need some actual redeeming quality, and not just wrong.

Vinnie was signed after Brady took a beat down for a couple weeks, and it has been mentioned that he was already learning the playbook, or at least in contact with the team, before the actual signing. He was brought in just as Belichick suggested, as an emergency QB, not as a coach or anything else.

He was signed as a third QB, not a COACH.

Vinnie has not for a minute worn a headset or even been spotted communicating directly with Brady during a game. Surely you are not trying to imply that Cassell is indirectly relaying messages from Vinnie to Brady if indeed Cassell is actually wearing a headset himself? Surely you are not implying that if Cassell is by chance wearing a headset than it follows that Vinnie now becomes a coach? If Cassell is wearing a headset, than he has mostly likely worn one all season, so as to write down plays on a clip board, which is a standard Patriots back-up QB job procedure.

I go to the games.
I sit right behind the Pats bench and watch the players. Stuff you can't see on TV.
Brady spends most of his off-field time alone.
Testaverde stands next to and talks to Cassell. Only. No Josh, no BB. ALL game.

On occasion, when Brady comes off during a TO, ALL the QBs come over and listen while Josh, Brady and BB discuss strategy.

Testaverde has little IF ANY at all game input to Brady or the coaches.

We now return the Forum to unfounded ludicrous speculation, devoid of fact.

Eyewitness testimony can be so demoralizing.

You don't sign him earlier or in camp because:

1. Someone might drop a QB over the season who doesn't need a walker.

2. Its called roster flexibility. You wait for the injuries and see where you might need roster spots. Lets say you have 5 questionable DBs. You need a spot on the roster for a healthy Practice Squad player. But, if you sign a QB that you don't really need, and you waste a spot. It's pretty simple business logic of "don't waste your resources where they aren't needed".

Man I thought you were going to tell me he was adept at playing middle linebacker and was going to fill Juniors shoes.... no such luck

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes