PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The Value of the Lost 1st Round Pick

Status
Not open for further replies.
;) All I care is the Raven beat the effin crap out of Jets, and then Dec 16th we run up the score down the RAT's throat (50+). The th NY media can have a field day

You know BB is going to try to run up the score on the Jets if he has a chance to. That would be funny.

There is disagreement about whether the league's penalty of a lost 1st round draft pick is too harsh or too lienant. I think it's fair. Think about your position with the following.

The link below is to a very interesting article from folks at Duke and the University of Chicago about the "value" of draft picks. It was written in 2005, but is very very relevant when thinking about the true cost of the penalty that has been levied against our Patriots.

http://faculty.fuqua.duke.edu/~cadem/bio/massey & thaler - loser's curse.pdf

As you can see in the attached graph, their conclusion is that the most value (where you get the best performance for the least amount of money/salary cap implications) is realized in picks 25-75...exactly where we assume the our first round pick would have been...and certainly where more than one of the picks that we would have inevitably traded the first rounder for would be.

In more practical terms, think of anyone that the Pats have drafted in the late first round through early third round and then take them off our team. Some I'm sure we could live with (I'm talking to you, Chad Jackson), but others I'm sure we would be heartbroken about (think Matt Light, Logan Mankins, Ben Watson, etc). Plus throw in the possible trades for veteran players that we would have had the freedom to execute with an extra first rounder and you begin to see the real loss that the commish's penalty is.

As I said, I think that the league's penalty was relatively fair, all things considered, as long as the league remains committed to punishing teams equitably in the future for the same infraction of having a camera on the field. Test case possibly coming from the possible Jets employee that has gotten so much attention on this board. The reason I think that the punishment is fair is because in my mind there really IS a difference between videotaping defensive signals and trying to steal them through binoculars. When looking through binoculars, you don't have the luxury of hitting rewind as many times as you want or playing the game in slow motion. At least there is still some skillful human element involved in this type of gamesmanship. The Falcons offical stated that he thought you might be able to correctly decipher maybe two extra plays correctly using video versus binolculars...but many games hinge on the success or failure of a few key plays. Even if they don't directly influence the score, momentum can swing or not. So this advantage, in some cases, might not just be minimal.

I don't think that this takes away from ANYTHING that they Patriots have accomplished and I give them props for pushing the envelope in their pursuit of excellence. However, rules were broken that could have given the Pats an advantage. A serious infraction of a rule, backed up by indisputable evidence requires a serious punishment. This was a serious punishment without taking it too far.

Wonderful chart, could you provide a link?

Ratgini. You have lost your Mangenius title. Are you Proud?

ratgini.jpg

You know the one positive side of losing this pick ? Every game we win - the value of the punishment goes down.

R

You know the one positive side of losing this pick ? Every game we win - the value of the punishment goes down.

R
The value of the punishment would be lowest if we just missed the playoffs.

I completely agree that our team will survive. In fact it is going to just keep getting better and better, but the loss of a first rounder is absolutely a big deal. I would much rather have Logan Mankins AND Chad Jackson, than JUST Chad Jackson. If this hit us in a year where we DIDN'T have SF's #1 as well I think many people on this board would be singing a different tune about the severity of the punishment.

Good post. I've read in other places that the penalty is too light, that Belichick should've gotten a suspension in addition to everything else. For one thing, half a million dollars (the max monetary penalty allowed) out of your own pocket is not a light punishment. And second, a first round draft pick is a big, big deal.

The Patriots will be OK, but anyone acting like they got off with a slap on the wrist is not looking at the issue correctly (and I'm talking mainly to fans of other teams here). First round picks are gold.

The value of the punishment would be lowest if we just missed the playoffs.

Touche !

You know what would be ironic ? If the SF pick became the #1 pick in the draft.

You know what would be more ironic ? we trade down for 2 #1's

R

Good post. I've read in other places that the penalty is too light, that Belichick should've gotten a suspension in addition to everything else. For one thing, half a million dollars (the max monetary penalty allowed) out of your own pocket is not a light punishment. And second, a first round draft pick is a big, big deal.

The Patriots will be OK, but anyone acting like they got off with a slap on the wrist is not looking at the issue correctly (and I'm talking mainly to fans of other teams here). First round picks are gold.

Thanks. This is exactly what I'm talking about. If we say for the sake of argument that 40% of first round picks are considered bad value (or busts) after five years, I'd much rather have two chances to get it right than just one. Of course having one pick still gives us a better chance at getting it right than having no picks, but it is still something of a crapshoot. Even if BB is a really freakin' good at evaluating draft talent (second round not withstanding)! :)

This is the heaviest penalty the league has EVER handed down. A 1st round pick is outrageous imo but we will survive. Those who say this is a "slap on the wrist" are just vindictive, witch hunting morons.

Ratgini. You have lost your Mangenius title. Are you Proud?

View attachment 853

So true. Ratgini has started a new tradition in NY, and it stinks.

Last edited:
One less draft pick to sign = more cash for free agents.

One less draft pick to sign = more cash for free agents.

With the second 1st rounder gone, freed up money will help to Tie up Moss and Stallworth long term. :p

ManRATgina can thank himself for getting himself fired next yr:rocker:

Big deal. Somehow, someway, the Pats will end up with 2 first round picks in 2009 like they always do. With only 2 draft picks in 2007 making the team, I think they will be fine.

I really hope BB has proof of other teams doing it and screws them, if everyone loses their first round picks, its goign to be a fast first round.

I'm thinking no proof will be forthcoming.

I won't say the league went easy on us, but other fans and writers will. Look around the national media. Check out some of the boards on national sites, like NFL.Com. They're rabid.

I think that Goodell and Belichick discussed "how can you not drag the league through the mud?" and Belichick basically horse-traded with Goodell... when before have you seen a "sentence" like "Pacman, you are suspended for a season if your team is good, and eight games if they suck"?

Just sayin.

PFnV

I'm thinking no proof will be forthcoming.

I won't say the league went easy on us, but other fans and writers will. Look around the national media. Check out some of the boards on national sites, like NFL.Com. They're rabid.

I think that Goodell and Belichick discussed "how can you not drag the league through the mud?" and Belichick basically horse-traded with Goodell... when before have you seen a "sentence" like "Pacman, you are suspended for a season if your team is good, and eight games if they suck"?

Just sayin.

PFnV

This will be Pats Vision Quest season........to personally have turd Goddell hand tham the Lombardi come early Feb 2008 ! That will be the defining moment when we can telll the world and the NFL Fuhrer to shove it all up their behind !

I can only imagine what Goddell will be saying, or will the cat have bitten his tongue and he will issue his statement of Congrats to Pats being SB champs

wouldn't hurt as much as losing the San Fran pick, which is probably going to be bwteen 8 -15.

For god's sake, would people stop dropping single-digit numbers for the location in the 1st round of the San Fran pick? All they have to do is go 7-8 the rest of the way in the weak NFC, and the pick would be about 16th or 17th in the 1st round. It is more likely to be in the 20s than single digits.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News