PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The Trade - 8 Games Later

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't wish to put a damper on the love fest but I don't have a see it quite as simply as some I guess. It is surely a plus that we have more cap room and a draft pick, but these chips have yet to be played. Wright has added 17 receptions for 182 yards over 8 games (hardly Hernandez production), and his blocking remains a liability so he gives way to Hooman most plays. The OL has had some success running on movement plays that rely on mobility, but injuries have required constant rotations and the OL has not found a road grader to replace Mankins. Consequently, we struggle to pick up short yardage where last year we routinely ran behind Mankins. We are 6-2, but we have not won anything yet, we lost Ridley and the weather is turning sour when good teams have to lean more heavily on the run. I think it is too early to close the book on this trade.
Wright had a better rookie season than Hernandez by a pretty decisive margin. That he isn't to that level of production in this offense is more down to the lateness of the trade and the fact he came in with no training camp, OTAs, or preseason games (he did have one of those, but he didn't play with TB). There's no reason to think he can't pretty much equal Hernandez's production if utilize him.
They aren't run blocking as well, but Brady's sack numbers are down fairly sharply. I'll take that going forward. I'm not sure what Ridley has to do with discussing the trade at all.

Was a sweet trade. I had faith in it when it happened. I believed in it after Wright's first reception (which was a big one). I started to panic about it after the Arrowhead massacre. Love it now that our offensive line looks okay.

Belichick is wicked awesome.

You can say the same about Gostkowski, Slater, Mayo, Edelman, Vollmer, Chung, Gronk, McCourty, Solder, Cannon, and all of the players drafted in the last couple of years. Let's dump them all.

None of them are 1) 33 years old 2) declining and 3) taking up $10 million of salary cap space..

Other than that, 1960Pats, your analogy was AWESOME!

Last edited:
Since we're building our line for the future and got through the adjustment period, I don't see how it could be a bad trade?

Mankins was going to be cut before being paid the rest of his contract anyway, slipping or not, he's only going to get older, plus they got a move tight end they needed and a 4th rounder to boot.

Can't really see the other side of that argument. we didn't get to 14 winning seasons in a row by holding on to expensive, over the hill players.

1. Pretty obvious results.

2. We come out of this with a much better offensive line and without an overpaid and overrated OG who was just killing our Cap. Now you throw in Wright and a 4th too boot. Big Win Baby!

Not to mention TB sucks, and this pick could be considered a late 3rd....

Rich get richer....

Last week I think they run-blocked pretty well.

some of you just won't be satisfied until the Pats get arrested for Grand Larceny. Everyone can SEE how things have worked out...why keep blabbing about it every week, week after week?

some of you just won't be satisfied until the Pats get arrested for Grand Larceny. Everyone can SEE how things have worked out...why keep blabbing about it every week, week after week?

Maybe they just miss the dulcet tones of Deus chanting, "It was a terrible trade. It was a terrible trade." ;)

My fault for resurrecting this, Joker. Couldn't help myself, I guess.

Doesn't every NFL team trade or cut players who it assesses as providing less value than the salary they are receiving?

Not quite. See for example the Redskins, Bucs and Raiders (oh wait, they're some of the worst teams in the league)

The trade helped our Offensive line rebuilding, in retrospect. I still think BB planned to upgrade the Offensive line at C and G, and replace Logan next season. But the Trade forced him to replace an extremely expensive G, with a still expensive G at half the price. I never foresaw Wendell's successful conversion to RG, figuring for reserve C duty, since he is young and inexpensive.

BB will be able to add a couple more higher picks to the line and Connolly's contract is up and can be renegotiated down like Wendell's was.

I sure didn't see Wendell as a + RG that's for sure nor did I think Stork would develop this quickly.

I think I got something to add on a little bit of a positive note that MAY interest Patriots fans....

ANOTHER WINNING SEASON...14 IN A ROW

Sorry for interrupting the bashfest with an item of positive interest...

You're such a positive influence. A veritable Susie Sunshine.:)

I know...I should harp on that game in KC 2 months ago but I like when the Pats win games...it makes me feel good and makes me want to praise them for winning the game, because every win in this league is extremely hard to come by....but, yeah, let's go back and put on our feather suits and cry about how it's all bad and we better not ever face KC in the post season and Brady is done and we should trade him NOW to get anything for him and Garropollo is all set to be the starter and we need to move onto the draft and 2015 because...well...this team will NEVER be any good this season as that loss in KC PROVED without a doubt...so let's get our outfits on and get to bashing, smashing, ripping and tearing away at the Patriots 2014 team because ...well...they obviously suck...just look at that KC game...that proves it...SADDLE UP TRUE PATS FANS!!!

halloween16_1106108i.jpg

I know...I should harp on that game in KC 2 months ago but I like when the Pats win games...it makes me feel good and makes me want to praise them for winning the game, because every win in this league is extremely hard to come by....but, yeah, let's go back and put on our feather suits and cry about how it's all bad and we better not ever face KC in the post season and Brady is done and we should trade him NOW to get anything for him and Garropollo is all set to be the starter and we need to move onto the draft and 2015 because...well...this team will NEVER be any good this season as that loss in KC PROVED without a doubt...so let's get our outfits on and get to bashing, smashing, ripping and tearing away at the Patriots 2014 team because ...well...they obviously suck...just look at that KC game...that proves it...SADDLE UP TRUE PATS FANS!!!

halloween16_1106108i.jpg

Who are you talking to?

I'm being rhetorical, RC...you should recognize the "angry crazy Joe Kerr" meme by now...;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Friday Patriots Notebook 5/10: News and Notes
MORSE: Draft Analysis and Thoughts on Patriots Rookie Mini Camp
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/9: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/8: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 5/7: News and Notes
What Did Tom Brady Say During His Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Drew Bledsoe Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast? Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Belichick Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
Monday Patriots Notebook 5/6: News and Notes
Tom Brady Sustains, Dishes Some Big Hits on Netflix Roast Special
Back