PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The Tebow AND Hernandez thread: an interesting comparison

Ice_Ice_Brady

I heard 10,000 whispering and nobody listening
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
For everyone who thinks that Tim Tebow could not possibly play tight end in the Patriots offense, the purpose of this thread is to compare their measurables of Tebow and Hernandez while also tying together two of the most annoying, prevalent thread subjects that have ever made themselves onto PatsFans.com , but offer an against-all-odds novel take on both Tebow and Hernandez.

Combining public information and some combine numbers from 2010, here are the numbers for both Tebow and Hernandez. I realize that these were from a few years ago and may have changed, but unless you have a stop watch and have timed these two recently in drills, I don't think you have better information:

Size

Height
Tebow- 6'3"
Hernandez- 6'1"

Weight
Tebow- 236 lbs
Hernandez- 245 lbs

Conclusion: Tebow and Hernandez are pretty similar from a physical standpoint. Both are very muscular and have strong legs and an ideal physique. As with most professional athletes, their conditioning is excellent. I've seen both of them vary in height (official combine measurements had them almost exactly the same- perhaps Tebow grew an inch or two since then?)

Speed

10 yards
Tebow- 1.55 seconds
Hernandez- 1.65 seconds

20 yards
Tebow- 2.66 seconds
Hernandez- 2.71 seconds

40 yards
Hernandez- 4.64 seconds
Tebow- 4.71 seconds

Conclusion: The biggest separation here is actually the 10 yard split, which suggests that Tebow has great burst, while the 40 number suggests Hernandez may have slightly better top speed. The overall similarities suggest both of them are about even in terms of speed. This is not surprising in watching them both play live. Both are very fast although not lightning fast.

Quickness

Three Cone
Tebow- 6.66 seconds
Hernandez- 6.83 seconds

20-Yard Shuttle
Tebow- 4.17
Hernandez- 4.18

Conclusion: This is surprising, because Tebow is thought of as a quarterback, but as an athlete, his measured quickness was a little better than a pro-bowl tight end whose entire game is built on shiftiness and change of direction. To appreciate Tebow's open field abilities, you would have to look at his college days and his 2011 run in Denver.

Leaping

Leaping Ability, Vertical
Tebow- 38.5 inches
Hernandez- 33 inches

Leaping Ability, Broad
Tebow- 9'7"
Hernandez- 9'3"

Conclusion: Probably the biggest thing that stands out here is that Tebow can actually get five inches higher than Hernandez. I would say that Hernandez's lack of vertical leap was his only major flaw in New England, as there were many times when he could not win a jump ball, although he made up for it by creating separation.

Catch Radius/ Hands

Arm Length
Hernandez- 32.25 inches
Tebow- 31.75 inches

Hand Size
Tebow- 10.18 inches
Hernandez- 9.75 inches

Conclusion: Surprisingly, Tebow has bigger hands than Hernandez, which you would probably guess is not true, since one of them is a WR/TE while the other is a QB. Skill position players need to have bigger hands. Arms length is quite similar between these two, with Hernandez having a slight edge.

OVERALL CONCLUSION

It would be a big transition for a player like Tebow to pick up a WR/TE/RB skill position at this point in his career, but if he were a draft pick and not named Tim Tebow, you would be pretty optimistic and think this is worth a shot. Most people overlook that Tebow is a tremendous talent because you only see him dropping back and throwing, or running into linebackers. Despite what Belichick has said, I highly suspect that Tebow would not be used solely as a quarterback and would need to add value to the team on special teams and as a potential offensive threat. Maybe that will be the conversation today in BBs office, to see if Tebow wants to stay in the NFL or not. However, we all saw how great Hernandez could be at his best, and I think it's very possible that Tebow could be put in the offense and make a positive impact.

We all know Tebow is a horrendous passer and has no business playing QB, but when you are down to your third-string QB, what do you expect? I think his overerall ability to lead and quarterback would give a better overall result than most 3rd stringers.

My prediction is that Tebow makes the team and you see him lineup in Hernandez's old position at times.

I hereby declare this to be another Tebow thread.

Tebow's 10 yard burst is quite something. Faster than Josh Boyce and only .100 slower than Thompkins.

And to those who think that Russell Wilson (1.55) and Colin Kaepernick are more athletic (1.62), they may be better over 40 yards but Tebow is certainly a match in terms of initial burst.

Yeah, so I have really steady hands. Next time you need a major surgery, let me do it instead of the guy who spent 10 extra years preparing for it. I'm sure I can do it .:rolleyes:

Tebow's 10 yard burst is quite something. Faster than Josh Boyce and only .100 slower than Thompkins.

And to those who think that Russell Wilson (1.55) and Colin Kaepernick are more athletic (1.62), they may be better over 40 yards but Tebow is certainly a match in terms of initial burst.

It's that burst that is his most "outlier" ability -- it expresses itself in his 10-yard, his 3 cone, his vertical. When combined with his size, it's truly freakish even by NFL standards, and even by non-QB standards.

For all the casual followers that don't understand why Tebow keeps turning up like a bad penny, his unusual fast-twist burst is the simplest explanation.

As for Hernandez, he kills people.

TEBOW-HELMET.gif

This is why the underwear olympics really shouldn't be taken at face value.

You can't take 2 players from different positions and say "hey look, they're similar combine wise so they could do the same job on the field!" it doesn't matter what players they are, it just doesn't work.

Like would JPP and Gronk be interchangeable (just for a random example)?

But, I said it in the draft forum the year he was drafted - he played LB in HS for a bit and he certainly has the size and drive for it so why not give him a try there?

If this was the case, don't you think they would have tried this out in preseason? Highly doubt he lines up at tight end a single time for the patriots.

Yeah, so I have really steady hands. Next time you need a major surgery, let me do it instead of the guy who spent 10 extra years preparing for it. I'm sure I can do it .:rolleyes:

I get your point, but you do realize that Jimmy Graham had barely played tight end at all before entering the league, right? Edelman was a quarterback. Heck, the Jaguars spent a top pick on Matt Jones (and yes he was a bust, but we are talking about a veteran's minimum free agent who is under 25.) At no time did I say that Tebow is Hernandez or we should expect him to catch 50-75 passes. But to deny some similarities is crazy.

If this was the case, don't you think they would have tried this out in preseason? Highly doubt he lines up at tight end a single time for the patriots.

One thing to consider is that we aren't privy to what has gone on in closed practices.

That said, if they have or are going to use Tebow as a TE, I think it would be in very rare instances.

I think if you do something like this, you don't do as "Tebow is TE."

You get to the same goal by saying "Tebow is lining up in the backfield with Brady." AHern ran a lot of plays that were very non-traditional TE plays, or even H-back plays. And without really switching positions, Tebow could absolutely do some of those plays. (Heck there were straight hand-offs).

If nothing else, it would skew the defense if he came in as a decoy. Because you'd have to be thinking he's in there for a reason if all of a sudden you see Tebow over there in an H-back position.

There could be a few-difference making plays in the course of a season.

Has Tebow ever show any quickness anywhere above the waist?

I think if you do something like this, you don't do as "Tebow is TE."

You get to the same goal by saying "Tebow is lining up in the backfield with Brady." AHern ran a lot of plays that were very non-traditional TE plays, or even H-back plays. And without really switching positions, Tebow could absolutely do some of those plays. (Heck there were straight hand-offs).

If nothing else, it would skew the defense if he came in as a decoy. Because you'd have to be thinking he's in there for a reason if all of a sudden you see Tebow over there in an H-back position.

There could be a few-difference making plays in the course of a season.

This is a good point. And let me emphasize that I don't think Tebow would ever be a Hernandez clone in any way, but a lot of players in the Patriots offense are not really traditional players:

-Hernandez was a jackknife player and not a traditional tight end. He was more of a hybrid player, which made him tough to defend.

-Edelman is not really a WR is he? Much more of a slot/screen guy, but he is occasionally effective.

-Anyone remember Mike Vrabel at TE?

-Shane Vereen is a running back who also lines up wide and runs a deep post. Not exactly a traditional player, but Brady knows how to utilize him.

That being said, I don't think it's crazy to think Tebow may have some value to the team on offense and special teams.

I get your point, but you do realize that Jimmy Graham had barely played tight end at all before entering the league, right? Edelman was a quarterback. Heck, the Jaguars spent a top pick on Matt Jones (and yes he was a bust, but we are talking about a veteran's minimum free agent who is under 25.) At no time did I say that Tebow is Hernandez or we should expect him to catch 50-75 passes. But to deny some similarities is crazy.

Lot of pass cathers have played basketball for years and some on some very high levels. Any video of Tebow playing hoops or any another sport that shows off his athleticism?

Lot of pass cathers have played basketball for years and some on some very high levels. Any video of Tebow playing hoops or any another sport that shows off his athleticism?

You are joking, right? I'm pretty sure he won two national championships and a Heisman trophy at UF. I don't think his athleticism would be better shown off from a basketball game or other sport, considering that he has proven to an effective football player, particularly in the open field. And I don't really think there is a correlation to catching a basketball and catching a football, since it's very easy to catch a basketball. The only reason guys like Graham and Gates happened to make the transition from football to basketball was because of their physical frames, not because being a basketball player allowed them to better adjust to being a pass catching tight end. I would think Tebow would be more likely to be an NFL receiver than an everyday basketball player because he is used to the contact and physicality of a rough game.

For everyone who thinks that Tim Tebow could not possibly play tight end in the Patriots offense, the purpose of this thread is to compare their measurables of Tebow and Hernandez while also tying together two of the most annoying, prevalent thread subjects that have ever made themselves onto PatsFans.com , but offer an against-all-odds novel take on both Tebow and Hernandez.

Combining public information and some combine numbers from 2010, here are the numbers for both Tebow and Hernandez. I realize that these were from a few years ago and may have changed, but unless you have a stop watch and have timed these two recently in drills, I don't think you have better information:

Size

Height
Tebow- 6'3"
Hernandez- 6'1"

Weight
Tebow- 236 lbs
Hernandez- 245 lbs

Conclusion: Tebow and Hernandez are pretty similar from a physical standpoint. Both are very muscular and have strong legs and an ideal physique. As with most professional athletes, their conditioning is excellent. I've seen both of them vary in height (official combine measurements had them almost exactly the same- perhaps Tebow grew an inch or two since then?)

Speed

10 yards
Tebow- 1.55 seconds
Hernandez- 1.65 seconds

20 yards
Tebow- 2.66 seconds
Hernandez- 2.71 seconds

40 yards
Hernandez- 4.64 seconds
Tebow- 4.71 seconds

Conclusion: The biggest separation here is actually the 10 yard split, which suggests that Tebow has great burst, while the 40 number suggests Hernandez may have slightly better top speed. The overall similarities suggest both of them are about even in terms of speed. This is not surprising in watching them both play live. Both are very fast although not lightning fast.

Quickness

Three Cone
Tebow- 6.66 seconds
Hernandez- 6.83 seconds

20-Yard Shuttle
Tebow- 4.17
Hernandez- 4.18

Conclusion: This is surprising, because Tebow is thought of as a quarterback, but as an athlete, his measured quickness was a little better than a pro-bowl tight end whose entire game is built on shiftiness and change of direction. To appreciate Tebow's open field abilities, you would have to look at his college days and his 2011 run in Denver.

Leaping

Leaping Ability, Vertical
Tebow- 38.5 inches
Hernandez- 33 inches

Leaping Ability, Broad
Tebow- 9'7"
Hernandez- 9'3"

Conclusion: Probably the biggest thing that stands out here is that Tebow can actually get five inches higher than Hernandez. I would say that Hernandez's lack of vertical leap was his only major flaw in New England, as there were many times when he could not win a jump ball, although he made up for it by creating separation.

Catch Radius/ Hands

Arm Length
Hernandez- 32.25 inches
Tebow- 31.75 inches

Hand Size
Tebow- 10.18 inches
Hernandez- 9.75 inches

Conclusion: Surprisingly, Tebow has bigger hands than Hernandez, which you would probably guess is not true, since one of them is a WR/TE while the other is a QB. Skill position players need to have bigger hands. Arms length is quite similar between these two, with Hernandez having a slight edge.

OVERALL CONCLUSION

It would be a big transition for a player like Tebow to pick up a WR/TE/RB skill position at this point in his career, but if he were a draft pick and not named Tim Tebow, you would be pretty optimistic and think this is worth a shot. Most people overlook that Tebow is a tremendous talent because you only see him dropping back and throwing, or running into linebackers. Despite what Belichick has said, I highly suspect that Tebow would not be used solely as a quarterback and would need to add value to the team on special teams and as a potential offensive threat. Maybe that will be the conversation today in BBs office, to see if Tebow wants to stay in the NFL or not. However, we all saw how great Hernandez could be at his best, and I think it's very possible that Tebow could be put in the offense and make a positive impact.

We all know Tebow is a horrendous passer and has no business playing QB, but when you are down to your third-string QB, what do you expect? I think his overerall ability to lead and quarterback would give a better overall result than most 3rd stringers.

My prediction is that Tebow makes the team and you see him lineup in Hernandez's old position at times.

Ah the 11th hour position change angle, I like, I like, I did not see this one coming.:suspicious:

Now I know what you’re thinking, if a party boy who gets drunk and wrestles with bro’s in clubs like Gronkowski, and a serial killer who gets high and shoots his homies like Hernandez can play that position how hard could be, it’s harder than the time Hernandez is about to do, so the suggestion that Tebow could parade out there in week 1 and just lineup in a spot he’s never lined up before because he has the same 3-cone numbers as the defendant is somewhat moronic, and I hope you don’t take offense to that because I’m not calling you a moron, think you’re just looking for reasons to keep Tebow last minute and not putting a ton of thought into them. For the record, I am not saying Tebow couldn’t play the position, I’m just saying if that was the move for Tebow it would probably take him at least a year to make that type of position change and have it be a success.

so they both smoke PCP? Is that the comparison?

You are joking, right? I'm pretty sure he won two national championships and a Heisman trophy at UF. I don't think his athleticism would be better shown off from a basketball game or other sport, considering that he has proven to an effective football player, particularly in the open field. And I don't really think there is a correlation to catching a basketball and catching a football, since it's very easy to catch a basketball. The only reason guys like Graham and Gates happened to make the transition from football to basketball was because of their physical frames, not because being a basketball player allowed them to better adjust to being a pass catching tight end. I would think Tebow would be more likely to be an NFL receiver than an everyday basketball player because he is used to the contact and physicality of a rough game.

No not joking but thanks for the response and letting me know it's easier to catch a basketball.

Tebow isn't a TE.

You can close the thread now.

It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes