PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The story of the Golden Goose

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Was not believed, so it was never seen again.

Last edited:
PatriotInsider said:
I've visited this site quite often but never posted. The reason I have chosen to post now is to inform you all of a rumor I've recently heard. A friend of mine works within the Patriots circle (not front office or anything), I can not be specific because I know people like Curran etc. read this site and if this rumor caught wind in the papers it could get my friend in trouble. But the reason for the Patriots inactivity in free agency is not by the design of either Pioli or Belichick. Bob Kraft apparently is focusing his money towards hotels and various complexes to be built around Gillette Stadium. He's also looking into buying a Premiere League Soccer team. Also, Kraft was not happy with the new CBA, and those people who say they always spend to the cap, yes they have in the past, but this is the first time its been at $102 million, don't expect Kraft to make a 20 million jump in payroll. Belichick and Pioli badly wanted Finneran, Peterson, and wanted to keep Adam but Kraft has budgeted them only $5 million in bonuses for this offseason. The FO hands are tied. Apparently Belichick has an extension but has become disenchanted with Krafts unwillingness to pay cash, which is why he's gone on his spring training tour since he feels there is nothing else he can do. People close to Kraft think that Kraft feels Belichick is a miracle worker and build a competitor on a shoestring budget. They also want to get Deion and Seymour extended but kraft keeps putting the situation off and heading to isreal and other events. Its getting frustrating for everyone else. Like I said this is just a rumor of what one person is hearing.

Do you know NEM's barber's sister's ex-brother-in-law?

Last edited:
I almost don't want to bother to respond to this, but...

Why on earth would anyone believe that the Krafts are stupid enough to kill the golden goose? All that development around Gillette would be a boondoggle if the football organization returned to cellar-dwelling.

This is coming from a guy with 1 post.... Idiot....

PatriotInsider said:
I've visited this site quite often but never posted. The reason I have chosen to post now is to inform you all of a rumor I've recently heard. A friend of mine works within the Patriots circle (not front office or anything), I can not be specific because I know people like Curran etc. read this site and if this rumor caught wind in the papers it could get my friend in trouble. But the reason for the Patriots inactivity in free agency is not by the design of either Pioli or Belichick. Bob Kraft apparently is focusing his money towards hotels and various complexes to be built around Gillette Stadium. He's also looking into buying a Premiere League Soccer team. Also, Kraft was not happy with the new CBA, and those people who say they always spend to the cap, yes they have in the past, but this is the first time its been at $102 million, don't expect Kraft to make a 20 million jump in payroll. Belichick and Pioli badly wanted Finneran, Peterson, and wanted to keep Adam but Kraft has budgeted them only $5 million in bonuses for this offseason. The FO hands are tied. Apparently Belichick has an extension but has become disenchanted with Krafts unwillingness to pay cash, which is why he's gone on his spring training tour since he feels there is nothing else he can do. People close to Kraft think that Kraft feels Belichick is a miracle worker and build a competitor on a shoestring budget. They also want to get Deion and Seymour extended but kraft keeps putting the situation off and heading to isreal and other events. Its getting frustrating for everyone else. Like I said this is just a rumor of what one person is hearing.

This confirm things - we are doomed. Kraft will most assuredly decrease the value of his Billion dollar asset so as to make all the developement in and around the home of that billion dollar asset worthless.

So with half of the $5 million budget in bonus money, BB and Pioli decided to restructure Dillon's contract by turning $2 million of his base salary into signing bonus to create more cap space? Yeah that sounds about right.

Also, Kraft wants to build hotels and complexes near the stadium and buy a soccer team but giving out signing bonuses is the difference between being able to afford it or not? Um, yeah, um........ok.

I laughed my ass off when I read this post! High-ster-i-cal! :singing: :singing:

Odd to say that Kraft was disenchanted with the CBA when his son, Jonathon was one of the prime negotiators of the compromise. Limited his out-of-pocket to $3 mil and put in stringent rules to insure do-nothings had to make an effort to max their marketing to participate. I'd say he got the best he could out of it and enhanced his family's standing in the league by going to Israel and letting Jonathon do the heavy lifting.

PatriotInsider said:

Too late, "Insider."

We have you quoted.

As a sage person once put it...ASININE.

PatriotInsider said:
With any luck, we won't see you again.

Well say all you want .... it makes sense to me. If you're a Kraft lover
your glasses are tainted and wouldn't believe it even if it was on paper,
signed by Kraft and notorized.

Well there is one simple way to prove if PatriotInsider is right.
Wait until the season starts and see where the 20 Million went or how much remains.
Yeah Jonathan was one of the prime negotiators of the compromise
deal while the father waltzed off to Israel in disgust. So What.

As for Kraft set to "kill the golden goose", why should he think so?
He's got Belichick for now. He can perform miracles.
If this is true, I can understand Belichick being very upset. If becuse of
constraints he was forced to let Willie go I can understand why he is very
upset at Kraft because I believe he really loved that player. It also may
explain why Bill never talked to Willie. Bill is a man of integrity and probably
didn't want to be put in a position of having to rat on his boss.

Of course if we start the season and PATs are at CAP then this is all a
bunch of crap and there was no inside information.
Until then ..... PatriotInsider's info could be correct. IMO.

JR4 said:
Of course if we start the season and PATs are at CAP then this is all a bunch of crap and there was no inside information.
The team would be pretty dum to start AT the cap..NOT smart at all...

JR4 said:

Wait until the season starts and see where the 20 Million went or how much remains.

explain why Bill never talked to Willie. Bill is a man of integrity and probably

You're what we call a 'carrier'.

JR4 said:

So you think (and this goes for Insider too) that 20 million in cap space is Kraft's way of saying I'm not going to spend more money on the team and instead invest it in Soccer and Hotel's. Yea OK lets think about this for a second.

Soccer, a hit with children and the rest of the world. But really brushed aside by most Americans. Okay lets say he wants to make the Revolution better. He can go out and do that without paying too much money.

Hotels, what would be the point of starting up a Hotel chain which probably will be Patriots themed or NFL themed and then say you know what I'm going to destroy this team by spending next to nothing on it.

So in your mind fans will pay loads of money to still watch an uncompetitive team THEN sleep in its hotels spending probably close to a grand when its all said and done?

Your both out of your mind, and then to criticize us for not believing this garbage you tell us to "take off the rose colored glasses" or whatever you said is just straight out offensive.

SO if you have the right to say that I'm obsessed with the Patriots enough to not believe that any of this can happen. Then i can turn around and say how stupid you look by coming out and saying this is an actual case. For you to actually believe this is stunning because its ridiculous. I will never let you live this down on this or any other board and i will continue to laugh at it.

Good luck thinking that we will be the Bruins.

Last edited:
Actually his info cannot be correct.

The Pats offer to Givens had a 5.5 million signing bonus. How is that possible if the budget was just 5 million?

SeanBruschi54 said:

So in your mind fans will pay loads of money to still watch an uncompetitive team THEN sleep in its hotels spending probably close to a grand when its all said and done?

First of all IMO, your inferrence that the PATs would be "uncompetitive" because
they don't spend to the CAP limit is absurd. Teams do it every year and
field competitive teams.

Again , I said before if the spend to the CAP then this theory is garbage.
But no one can know that until the season starts.

OK, friend ... what will you say if the season starts and the PATs are say
6.5 or more Million under cap? Say they need about 1.5M for injuries.
What justification would you give to being 5+M unused, unallocated $$$
under CAP? (note: that means there are no incentives being used to
increase next year's NE CAP. ) It's 5+M doing nothing.
Please don't tell me there was no one in FA that was worth the money.

How would you account for that unused CAP space if it happens.
Certainly, PatriotInsider's info would be one explanation.

dhamz said:

The Pats offer to Givens had a 5.5 million signing bonus. How is that possible if the budget was just 5 million?

Are you sure about that? Any Links?

dhamz said:

Ah! I was wondering when someone would ask this. It's possible because Kraft has allowed Belichick an extra $500k in bonus expenditures for each finger he agrees to cut off his left (non-contract-signing) hand. Of course Kraft, shrewd bussinessman that he is, pre-insured BB's hands at the rate of $1 million per finger. If Givens had signed, Kraft would have cleared a $500k profit to invest in his fledgling outdoor bowling league.

Look, none of us has a clue what this team is going to look like six months from now. Criticism is fine. But this particular golden goose story just didn't make any sense, which is why we're all piling on.

JR4 said:
First of all IMO, your inferrence that the PATs would be "uncompetitive" because
they don't spend to the CAP limit is absurd. Teams do it every year and
field competitive teams.

Again , I said before if the spend to the CAP then this theory is garbage.
But no one can know that until the season starts.

OK, friend ... what will you say if the season starts and the PATs are say
6.5 or more Million under cap? Say they need about 1.5M for injuries.
What justification would you give to being 5+M unused, unallocated $$$
under CAP? (note: that means there are no incentives being used to
increase next year's NE CAP. ) It's 5+M doing nothing.
Please don't tell me there was no one in FA that was worth the money.

How would you account for that unused CAP space if it happens.
Certainly, PatriotInsider's info would be one explanation.
We're talking about 20 million under the cap if the team falls 5 million under that is the area that they should be in and maintain. Not only do you need that 5 million to sign rookies but you also need that money to sign players once someone on our teams gets injured. Another thing you have to pay for is a fielded 8 man practuce squad. So 5 million just about sounds right to be at or around come season time.

I never said use all the way to the cap i said not using the 20 million in cap space is BS. Thats what the discussion is here. You and Insider believed that this 20 million would buy Hotels and a better Soccer team. And gave Pioli and company only 5 million in bonuses to use. Well someone else already pointed it out that the 5 million would already be long gone if Givens were to resign here for less money.

This theory is absolutely absurd. It should be known as the Bruins management theory.

Jr,

He did not run to Israeal in disgust. He went as part of a large pre-planned mission out of Boston. Tom Brady went with him and he even invited Woody Johnson. This had been planned months in advance. Kraft has been the best owner in Boston sports history. To believe this is an embarassment.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News