PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The Ravens new explosive offense

Status
Not open for further replies.
I didn't set the parameters here, though. They were set by the link in the OP, and my initial point was just about BrickPat being wrong in his post. Sure, you can make the Ravens look fairly explosive if you take away the low scoring games and don't acknowledge the OT factor against the Ravens. I could say that the Patriots averaged 50ppg, too, if I just ignored most of the games the Patriots played.

It's pretty simple, really. Other than the first game with Caldwell as OC, the offense has done what it needs to do. If you're a Ravens fan you're probably leaning toward this as a paradigm shift, if you're a Patriots fan you're probably inclined to nitpick your way into convincing yourself it means nothing.

As always, the truth is usually somewhere in the middle.

Well, sure, but that's the thing with small sample sizes. In that sample, game (1) was Caldwell's first game as OC, game (3) the starters were rested, and game (4) wasn't that close - offense is trying to shorten the game, not score points. You could also look at those numbers and say hey, after week 1, Caldwell's offense has figured out how to score points when we need them.

Of course, fans from both sides will always gravitate to the statistics that favor them. I do the same.

Why gravitate towards stats?

Watch the game. If you can't realize and accept the primacy of the Denver defensive decision debacle, you're wasting your time watching this sport.

It's pretty simple, really. Other than the first game with Caldwell as OC, the offense has done what it needs to do. If you're a Ravens fan you're probably leaning toward this as a paradigm shift, if you're a Patriots fan you're probably inclined to nitpick your way into convincing yourself it means nothing.

It's not that simple, really, since the argument wasn't "Ravens offense doing what it needs to do".

Why gravitate towards stats?

Watch the game. If you can't realize and accept the primacy of the Denver defensive decision debacle, you're wasting your time watching this sport.

Nothing about last Saturday's game makes me accept anything about Denver's primacy, and I'll take my own counsel as to whether I should watch the sport.

THX.

It's not that simple, really, since the argument wasn't "Ravens offense doing what it needs to do".

I feel like you're certain you want to disagree with me so you're setting some kind of moving target. I made a point in the thread, my point was not to directly traverse your position - just to add something. Ok?

Nothing about last Saturday's game makes me accept anything about Denver's primacy, and I'll take my own counsel as to whether I should watch the sport.

THX.

That's why you are in denial.

If it dawned on Del Rio to help out Champ Bailey a little, the Rahim Moore debacle is moot.

That's reality.

This no different than last year. What team gets gifted a +2 turnover differential in an AFCCG...loses...and thinks they are somehow better?

+2 turnovers means a win 90% of the time.....care to imagine what difference in the two squads is needed to pull this off?

That's why you are in denial.

If it dawned on Del Rio to help out Champ Bailey a little, the Rahim Moore debacle is moot.

That's reality.

This no different than last year. What team gets gifted a +2 turnover differential in an AFCCG...loses...and thinks they are somehow better?

+2 turnovers means a win 90% of the time.....care to imagine what difference in the two squads is needed to pull this off?

I like how you conveniently ignore that we gifted Denver a kick and a punt return for TD's. You can play that game if it makes you feel better. If the last 3 or 4 Ravens/Patriots games don't convince you that either team can win this game, then tell me - who is in denial?

I like how you conveniently ignore that we gifted Denver a kick and a punt return for TD's. You can play that game if it makes you feel better. If the last 3 or 4 Ravens/Patriots games don't convince you that either team can win this game, then tell me - who is in denial?

Like I said....complete denial.

There are three phases to football

Offense
Defense
SPECIAL TEAMS

How exactly were 2 TD's "gifted"?

The Denver return guy made plays.

Did the coverage team run down the field, fall down, and play dead?.........LIKE THE DENVER SAFETY........

If you bothered to watch the game it should have dawned on you that a Manning going up and down the field highly indicates Manning would have scored anyway.

Like I said....complete denial.

There are three phases to football

Offense
Defense
SPECIAL TEAMS

How exactly were 2 TD's "gifted"?

The Denver return guy made plays.

Did the coverage team run down the field, fall down, and play dead?.........LIKE THE DENVER SAFETY........

If you bothered to watch the game it should have dawned on you that a Manning going up and down the field highly indicates Manning would have scored anyway.

Hah! You're killing me. Please continue. This is lovely, really. Ravens make a big play, it's luck, Denver makes a big play, it's the Ravens messing up. Whatever makes you happy, bro.

You don't see the hypocrisy in mentioning "defense"?

Last edited:
3 weeks is a pretty small sample size to determine that the Ravens have turned the corner because of Caldwell. It could be a number of factors, or even as simple as "Torrey Smith has been waking up on the right side of the bed lately". Hard to say. Disregarding why the turnaround happened, though, it's pretty clear that they've been playing better football on the offensive side.

Personally, the stat that really jumped out at me was that, pretty late in the Denver game, Joe Flacco was averaging over 20 yards per completion. That's ridiculous, and speaks to a pretty severe reliance on the deep ball. That's not a bad thing - when it works it's devastating, and it means that you don't really have to have a high percentage of successful plays to be successful in the whole.

What it does mean, though, is that shutting down Torrey Smith probably becomes priority #1. It also means that the game plan that every other team tries to use against the Pats--keep Brady off the field with long, sustained drives--probably isn't in the cards for Baltimore. Even if their gameplan succeeds, it looks like their defense is going to be on the field a lot (in the neighborhood of ~40 minutes), and for one of the oldest teams in the league, with no linebacker depth and that just played a double overtime game in sub-freezing Mile High, that's a bad ****tail.

By the second half of this game, the Ravens' defense will probably be as gassed as any defense that we've ever seen. If they want to win, they're probably going to have to use the 49ers as a blueprint. Score early and often with big plays, force turnovers, and build up a 3+ score lead early. Then hope they can hold on, with some timely assists from their special teams.

Last edited:
Hah! You're killing me. Please continue. This is lovely, really. Ravens make a big play, it's luck, Denver makes a big play, it's the Ravens messing up. Whatever makes you happy, bro.

Truth hurts, doesn't it?

What a clown fanbase.

Please don't stop. Please. I was learning truly epic things about how to twist reality into my favorite shapes and sizes.

Actually, it looks like you got that down.

Let's not confuse Caldwell with a competent OC. I am pretty sure they will not be studying his "innovative" play calling style of "run, run, pass" for decades.

All Caldwell has done is allowed Flacco to throw his meatball passes down the field and let Smith and Boldin use their athletic ability to catch balls that less athletic receivers would surely miss. That was something Cam Cameron was too inflexible to do.

I watched the Bronco game saw Flacco make some really bad down the field passes where Torrey Smith somehow made incredible leaping catches in good coverage to get. I think that would work in the short term, but I don't know if it will work consistently or on the long term.

Personally, I hope Caldwell stays the Ravens OC because eventually, he will have come up with innovative game plans and I don't know how many variations of run, run, pass he can come up with.

Let's not start bashing the Ravens for having a "gimmick" offense when ours is viewed by them (at least by one...) in an equal manner. It doesn't matter what they throw out there, if the Patriots don't want them to do it, they need to stop it. 2 teams in the playoffs couldn't, so give the Ravens credit.

Let's not start bashing the Ravens for having a "gimmick" offense when ours is viewed by them (at least by one...) in an equal manner. It doesn't matter what they throw out there, if the Patriots don't want them to do it, they need to stop it. 2 teams in the playoffs couldn't, so give the Ravens credit.

Who said the Ravens have a gimmick offense. I say their offense is the same exact offense the Pats ran circa 1997 or 1998. It's no gimmick. It is unimaginative, but not a gimmick.

To those poo pooing the Ravens' offense please remember the Pats were one muffed kick away from elimination against last season's "less explosive" offense.

Not quite. If the muffed kick went between the goalposts the Raven's comeback woud have resulted in a tie, and OT.

Champ Bailey was singled on Torrey Smith since in the previous Broncos barbequeing of the Ravens in a game a few weeks ago, the Broncos held the deep throws from Flacco to Torrey, as routine incompletions.

As I recall in the last AFCCG, the Ravens with the Pats, Flacco got a late, long DPI, to allow them to rally to.... almost tie.:cool:

patsfans.som didn't come out making the "new look" Ravens offense the second coming of blitzkreig.

The Denver game was about defensive adjustments.

Help Champ out a little.

Put the safety deep.

String together 5 or 6 80+ yard, 10-14 play drives and the awe is on.

Let's not confuse Caldwell with a competent OC. I am pretty sure they will not be studying his "innovative" play calling style of "run, run, pass" for decades.

All Caldwell has done is allowed Flacco to throw his meatball passes down the field and let Smith and Boldin use their athletic ability to catch balls that less athletic receivers would surely miss. That was something Cam Cameron was too inflexible to do.

I watched the Bronco game saw Flacco make some really bad down the field passes where Torrey Smith somehow made incredible leaping catches in good coverage to get. I think that would work in the short term, but I don't know if it will work consistently or on the long term.

Personally, I hope Caldwell stays the Ravens OC because eventually, he will have come up with innovative game plans and I don't know how many variations of run, run, pass he can come up with.

While it's true that Caldwell got too reliant on run-run-pass at the end of the game, that was not the case for most of the game, or the Colts or Giants games.

As for play calling, a few things are different. One, he's moved Flacco around in the pocket more. Two, we have been more aggressive on first and second down - that regressed in the two OT periods in Denver, but it's clear the offense has some new life with Caldwell as the OC.

Three - most importantly- Bryant McKinnie. If anyone is responsible for Flacco's improved play, that's the guy right there.

You can call it luck all you want, I guess. Whatever makes you feel good.

Actually, it looks like you got that down.

Hey, if you can convince yourself that every Ravens big play is a result of luck and every Patriots big play is a result of skill, you might want to take off the blinders there buckshot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft