PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The problem with "bend but don't break"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pat_Nasty said:
We're not quite as "bend but don't break" as one might think.

The proto-typical "bend but don't break" defense stiffens in the redzone. The Pats tend to stiffen somewhere around midfield -- they've actually allowed the fewest opposing redzone possessions (7) of any team in the league, with the next closest teams (BAl, CHI) at 11.
Very interesting - during the Sea/Min game, the announcers were reporting how Minnesota leads in penalties so far this season, averaging 8/game. It woud be an interesting exercise to chart team's penalties against the Pats and against their other opponents - do good defenses force penalties? What kind? Holding, False Starts, Illegal Formations?

On a completely unrelated note - sort of, there are SB 39 defensive overtones - I want to thank NFL Network or Sports Center, or whomever, for showing Donovan McNabb pulling out from under Center to barf. Nice to know he learned his hydration lesson - not.

LA Pats Fan said:
I guess you are missing the point.

Bend but don't break is intended to force the opponent to run more plays in order to score. The goal is capitalize on a turn over - more plays means more chances of turnovers.
why would you want a team to run more plays than you? that means they'll more than likely beat you in time of possession. It means you can't stop them on first down, on second down, or even third down if it gets to that. I was under the impression bend but don't break means you clamp down in the red zone.

I have no clue why someone would want the opposing team to run more plays than their own team

betterthanthealternative said:
Yes, points allowed is the most important stat, no doubt. Yet allowing teams to drive and win the field position game is not a good thing. Without the turnovers, our offense starts deep in our territory, and gets few series with which to get a rhythm and find the holes in the opposition's defensive gameplan.

There is still some work to do before this defense takes us deep into the playoffs.
Yeah, wouldn't want teams to start beating us 400 yards to 325 yards.

Who cares how many yards a team racks up if they don't score? You think Philly is proud of all that offense against Atlanta?

MrBigglesWorth said:
why would you want a team to run more plays than you? that means they'll more than likely beat you in time of possession. It means you can't stop them on first down, on second down, or even third down if it gets to that. I was under the impression bend but don't break means you clamp down in the red zone.

I have no clue why someone would want the opposing team to run more plays than their own team

I said the same thing:

me said:
There is no such thing as a strategy that allows a team to get yardage in order to create more opportunities to get turnovers.

The foundation of the bend but don't break is that big plays are killers. So many things can go wrong on a drive that needs 10-15 plays to score that sometimes it isn't even the defense that is the reason for the end of a possession. As the amount of space that is needed to cover to avoid the bog play gets smaller, it becomes easier to have a man in the way of any play, short or long.

But every coach in the league would use the "don't bend at all" strategy if he had the personel to completely shut down an offense and protect against the big play at the same time. And that includes our NE Patriots.

betterthanthealternative said:
Yes, points allowed is the most important stat, no doubt. Yet allowing teams to drive and win the field position game is not a good thing. Without the turnovers, our offense starts deep in our territory, and gets few series with which to get a rhythm and find the holes in the opposition's defensive gameplan.

There is still some work to do before this defense takes us deep into the playoffs.

I don't know, man. The D seemed to have worked fine in '01, '03 and '04. In two of those years, I personally thought we had the best and the toughest D in the league.

Also, I've never really worried about Brady getting in rhythm nor have I ever worried that he and the offense could not drive 80 yards to score a TD with a 1:30 left on the clock in any given situation. Why punish youself needlessly when Brady's proven he's at his best in these situations.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back