PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The PATS FO could learn a lesson from JETS FO

Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe you should KEEP FollowING the Jets Then

There, I fixed that for you! :D

troll.jpg

That troll's already got his jests green apron on!!!

Last edited:
"The PATS FO could learn a lesson from JETS FO"

Like how to ineptly run a team for the past 25 years?
Hey now, lets not distort facts.....Its more like 40 years

Is this the same Jets team that went 9-7 with a cake schedule and should have been eliminated before the playoffs began? It's funny how quick people are to turn back and forth on the Jets, especially their fans. In week 13, the franchise was an utter disaster. Now, a team that just put together one of the greatest decades of all-time is supposed to take advice from a franchise that consistently disappoints and accomplishes nothing?

It's cool how you forget to mention some guys like Moss and Welker. Though I admit the Jets' signing of Sanchez as a FA was a good one.

Hahaha, my reaction exactly. For the record, Faneca isn't very good, Calvin Pace has underperformed even when he hasn't been suspended for steroid use, Braylon has been Terrible with a capital T, they just cut Sheppard after one crappy season, Favre bombed in infamous fashion... yeah.

Meanwhile, you sorta neglected to mention the part where the Pats got Welker, Moss, Leigh Bodden, TBC, Sammy Morris, and Donte Stallworth. Didn't fit your agenda quite well enough?

nice work cutting pennington.

hopefully, pats won't ship brady to miami for nothing.

Last edited:
Did you say the same thing when Grier picked McGinest, Ty Law, Ted Johnson, Curtis Martin, Terry Glenn, Lawyer Milloy, Tedy Bruschi, Katzenmoyer, Faulk, Greg Spires, Robert Edwards ??????

Draft is a crapshoot, and for Chris Canty or Tebucky Jones, Grier had more hits(many mid rounder ones) than misses, so spare me the crying

His predecessors of NE Patriots FO drafted the likes of Ken Sims, and passed on Jerry Rice for a BYU Center, or Tony effin Eason, or Reggie Dupard, or later traded down to add Ray Agnew and Chris Singleton in top 12 instead of keeping the pick and selecting Junior Seau

Grier didn't have any say on McGinest, Law, Martin or Ted Johnson. Those were all Parcells picks.

He also had a boatload of picks in the top 3 rounds of 3 consecutive drafts and took such studs as Rod Rutledge and Tony Simmons in the 2nd round and Chris Carter and Chris Floyd in the 3rd round. After 1996, a year when he had a lot of input from Parcells (the beginning of the Tuna's falling out), Grier was decidedly below average at drafting.

As for his "many more mid round hits", I have no idea what you're talking about. Here are the drafts he came up with after taking full personnel control:

1. Chris Canty
2. Brandon Mitchell
3. Sedrick Shaw
3b. Chris Carter
4. Damon Denson
5. Vernon Crawford
6. Tony Gaiter
7. Scott Rehberg

1. Robert Edwards
1b. Tebucky Jones
2. Tony Simmons
2b. Rod Rutledge
3. Chris Floyd
3b. Greg Spires
4. Leonta Rheams
5. Ron Merkerson
6. Harold Shaw
7. Jason Andersen

1. Damien Woody
1b. Andy Katzenmoyer
2. Kevin Faulk
3. Tony George
5. Derrick Fletcher
6. Marcus Washington
7. Micheal Bishop
7b. Sean Morey

Honestly, that's about as BAD as a GM can draft given the number of high picks he had. Mitchell was the only guy from 1997 who had anything resembling a productive career, and that was as an injury prone rotational guy. 1998 produced Tebucky Jones (helped win the 2001 Super Bowl so can't totally bash him) and Greg Spires (who never helped the Pats). 1998 produced Woody, Faulk and Morey all of whom are still active players.

many "Mid round hits"? Yeah, I don't see it. Almost all of the players he took after the 2nd round were out of football within 2 or 3 years

Even if you want to give him 100% credit for the 1996 draft (which would be silly, but for arguments sake), let's see about all these mid round hits:

1. Terry Glenn
2. Lawyer Milloy
3. Tedy Bruschi
4. Heath Irwin
4b. Chris Sullivan
4c. Kantroy Barber
5. John Elmore
5b. Christian Peter (never signed)
6. Chris Griffin
6b. Marrio Grier
6c. Devin Wyman
7. Lovett Purnell
7b. JR Conrad

Where are all of these hits? Bruschi is a huge hit. The rest of that draft yielded a pair of serviceable backups (Irwin, Sullivan), Grier was useful on special teams for a few years and Peter had a few ok years with the Giants but Grier deserves an F on that pick for drafting a guy who Kraft refused to sign.

It's cool how you forget to mention some guys like Moss and Welker. Though I admit the Jets' signing of Sanchez as a FA was a good one.

This man is correct.

This man is correct.

One factor that doesn't get mentioned nearly enough is that the NFL is headed into a period of the "unknown". No one has any idea how this labor market is going to shake out and how decisions now are going to affect franchises down the road. So while it will always be sexier to the fans to be more aggressive in free agency and the trade market this is definitely the one year you want to be conservative. Any business man worth a damn, and this is a business, would never enter a market like this blind. The Jets might look better and more aggressive on paper however, when this labor thing works itself out they could have screwed themselves for years to come. If anything the Patriots run the most sound business model in the NFL and you should recognize that!

I hate the phrase "drinking the cool aid", why the frick wouldn't I drink the cool aid? Who won more games this decade? Who won more playoff games this decade? Who won more superbowls this decade? Whose cool aid should I drink? Ron Broges's or Mike Felger's????? You can drink the negative cool aid of the losers and I'll stick with the PROVEN winners. Are they infallible? No. Are they better the the rest? Abso-frickin-lutely!

Last edited:
Where have the Mods been, and why hasnt this thread been moved the PS??
Thats what its for right?

As for Ramon, PatJew is spot on. I find it funny that you ONLY mention the bad FA signings. Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but guys like you, and 'tanked as usual' should go become fans of the Lions. Atleast you'd have an excuse to B*itch about that team. Why guys like this keep bashing the Pats is beyond me. Its not like they havent accomplished anything :rolleyes:

He may have meant Shawn Springs. Or Greg Lewis. Or Alex Smith.

What frustrates many of us the most is not simply the poor personnel decisions, and bringing in so many players that can't play, it's the trading draft picks for some of these players that can't play.

The Smiths, and Lewis', and Gabriels et al, not only take up roster spots/salary etc., but they also prevented the ability to improve in the draft.

Who makes up the braintrust that says we HAVE GOT to get Alex Smith on this team, or Donald Hayes is a talent we need here FAST, or take that third round pick and get Burgess on this team ASAP? BB the GM has been KILLING BB the coach, in my humble opinion.

Where have the Mods been, and why hasnt this thread been moved the PS??
Thats what its for right?

As for Ramon, PatJew is spot on. I find it funny that you ONLY mention the bad FA signings. Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but guys like you, and 'tanked as usual' should go become fans of the Lions. Atleast you'd have an excuse to B*itch about that team. Why guys like this keep bashing the Pats is beyond me. Its not like they havent accomplished anything :rolleyes:

Wow...now you want to censure and hide opinions you don't agree with? Come on.....
Look include Moss Welker and Bodden, I still am of the opinion thta the pATS FO has done a poor job overall of finding players to mainatain a high level of excellence.

Wow...now you want to censure and hide opinions you don't agree with? Come on.....
Look include Moss Welker and Bodden, I still am of the opinion thta the pATS FO has done a poor job overall of finding players to mainatain a high level of excellence.

Sorry man.

Its time to create a new i.d. - this one's been outed.

I wouldn't go that far. Besides the Pats didn't have a 3rd rounder to trade this year. So they were never in the Cromartie hunt.
I thought it was third in 2011, not this year.

look at their track record over the past few years for trades and FA

Alan Faneca, Calvin Pace,Thomas Jones Kris Jenkins, Braylon Edwards, Marc Sanchez and now Cromartie

Now lets look at the PATS:
Chris Baker, Joey Galloway, Fred Taylor, Duane Starks,Derrick Burgess,

You be the Judge...whose FO is doing a better job

Now lets hope the PATS do not sit around on their ass*es with the old "we're going to be patient and see whats left over attitude"
this will be asure path to third place in the division

I guess nobody taught you about the difference between haphazardly building a team through trades/FA vs using FA to pickup value guys to fill the 53 man roster?

I guess for some people it is more important to sign FAs than to win more games?

What FAs have the Colts signed in the last few years? The Steelers?

They and the Pats seem to be doing okay winning a lot of games and dominating football for the last 10 years.

It is teams like the Jets and Redskins who look real good in March that give you guys woodies. Good for you.

But you are trying to make the case that signing good players is better than winning games, and that works better in the Big Crap-ple than Beantown.

Alan Faneca, Calvin Pace,Thomas Jones Kris Jenkins, Braylon Edwards, Marc Sanchez and now Cromartie

Now lets look at the PATS:
Chris Baker, Joey Galloway, Fred Taylor, Duane Starks,Derrick Burgess,

You be the Judge...whose FO is doing a better job

Now lets hope the PATS do not sit around on their ass*es with the old "we're going to be patient and see whats left over attitude"
this will be asure path to third place in the division

When you have to reach back 5 years to pull Duane Starks out of your arse to compare the two front offices, you lose some of your credibility.

Don't forget that Tannenbaum also is the one who drafted Vernon Gholston. And let's not forget that Pace is a failed drug test away from a 1 year suspension now.

Sanchez? He hasn't proven anything yet.

I find it amazing that you don't do a fair comparison.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
Back