PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

All Retread Pats Team (Good and Bad)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Signing free agents (or drafting youngsters ) is not an exact science.

Mike vrabal says hello

Damn I hope Caldwell doesn’t recur.

Doug Gabriel would have been a better example from that year.

Freaking autocorrect lol. Didn’t even notice. Yes Gabriel is on the list for sure. How on earth did that team make the AFCCG?

CB-Terrell Buckley

He wasn’t “bad” but also wasn’t exactly the player he was in Miami.

OP needs to do a revision

The good team has to include Darrelle Revis at CB, Corey Dillon, Rex Burkhead, Danny Woodhead at RB,
From the Belichick era only.

First the bad. What's the most complete team you can make from players with the most accomplished career before coming to the Pats with the least amount of contributions as a Patriot? Rodney Harrison for example wouldn't count due to actual accomplishments as a Patriot.

QB Flutie, Tebow
RB Steven Jackson, Mike Cloud
TE Scott Chandler, Kyle Brady
WR Ochocinco, Torry Holt, Reggie Wayne, Joey Galloway. The deepest position by far. Could have a half dozen more names.
OL The thinnest position by far. LaAdrain Waddle? Brian Waters? Neither fit the premise well. Speaks to how well Dante scoops up raw hunks of clay and makes them players and how rarely the Pats go shopping for OL in FA.
DE Shawn Ellis, Derrick Burgess
DT Albert Haynesworth, Terrance Knighton
LB Brian Cox, James Harrison?
S Victor Green, Adrian Wilson, John Lynch
CB Stephon Gilmore, Shawn Springs
Are there are kickers and punters who filled in for a game or two? Ghost was out and someone of note filled in one year, right?
I feel there are better answers for DE and CB I'm forgetting. Help me out!

Next the good. What late career players with extensive resumes have then come to the Pats and contributed well?

QB None due to lack of opportunity unless you count Damon Huard's Manning imitation for the scout team.
RB Blount (the return), Antowain Smith
TE Martellus Bennett, Alge Crumpler
WR Randy Moss, Deion Branch (the return), Donte Stallworth
OL Brian Waters. Same note as the bad list. Dante works with the kids for the most part.
DE Andre Carter, Bobby Hamilton, Anthony Pleasant
DT Ted Washington
LB Junior Seau, Roman Phifer James Harrison?
S Rodney Harrison, Pat Chung (the return), Stephen Gregory
CB Leigh Bodden, Tyrone Poole
P/K Same note as bad list.

OP needs to do a revision.

The good team has to include Darrelle Revis and Brandon Browner at CB, Corey Dillon, Dion Lewis, Rex Burkhead, Danny Woodhead and 2017 Pro-Bowler James Develin at RB, Wes Welker and Danny Amendola at WR, Alan Branch at DT, Roosevelt Colvin, Rob Ninkovich and Mike Vrabel at LB, and that's just for starters.

Leigh Bodden? Really?

Last edited:
CB-Terrell Buckley

He wasn’t “bad” but also wasn’t exactly the player he was in Miami.
As a 3rd CB he was pretty good here in 2001

OP needs to do a revision

The good team has to include Darrelle Revis at CB, Corey Dillon, Rex Burkhead, Danny Woodhead at RB,

OP needs to do a revision.

The good team has to include Darrelle Revis and Brandon Browner at CB, Corey Dillon, Rex Burkhead, Danny Woodhead at RB, Wes Welker and Danny Amendola at WR, Alan Branch at DT, Rob Ninkovich and Mike Vrabel at LB, and that's just for starters.

Leigh Bodden? Really?
I thought the criteria was if a player had his "career" somewhere else and came here pushing or at 30?

For example, yes on Moss and Ted Washington.

No on Welker and Dion Lewis.

I thought the criteria was if a player had his "career" somewhere else and came here pushing or at 30?

Got a little carried away there with all the great free agents Belichick and the brain trust have brought in over the years. Belichick is the best at parlaying draft picks into experienced players who contribute.

Revis and Browner have to be on this list - that was the single most important move Belichick did in the 2014 offseason after years of tearing our hair out over the secondary.

Kenny Britt might make this list in a few weeks if he and Brady connect.

I'll revise the list in a bit. I forgot some biggies, that's for sure. I didn't include guys who were relative unknowns before they came here, so no Welker, Dion Lewis, Vrabel, or Ninkovich.

List revised in original post.

I would take Mike Cloud off the list because of his game vs. Tennessee in 2003. Replace him with Amos Zeroe.

I think Welker should count if you’re looking for a player who was very good elsewhere... he was a kick return ace for the Dolphins for 3 seasons, one of the better ones in the league imo- plus he was a serviceable receiver.

I think Welker should count if you’re looking for a player who was very good elsewhere... he was a kick return ace for the Dolphins for 3 seasons, one of the better ones in the league imo- plus he was a serviceable receiver.
That's fine. It's a different criteria.

Got a little carried away there with all the great free agents Belichick and the brain trust have brought in over the years. Belichick is the best at parlaying draft picks into experienced players who contribute.

Revis and Browner have to be on this list - that was the single most important move Belichick did in the 2014 offseason after years of tearing our hair out over the secondary.

Kenny Britt might make this list in a few weeks if he and Brady connect.
Thats fine.

Where does Talib fit? He's up there.

From the Belichick era only.

First the bad. What's the most complete team you can make from players with the most accomplished career before coming to the Pats with the least amount of contributions as a Patriot? Rodney Harrison for example wouldn't count due to actual accomplishments as a Patriot.

Edited to fix omissions and placements.

QB Tebow
RB Steven Jackson, Mike Cloud
TE Scott Chandler, Kyle Brady
WR Ochocinco, Torry Holt, Reggie Wayne, Joey Galloway. The deepest position by far. Could have a half dozen more names.
OL The thinnest position by far. Robert Gallery fits as he washed out in training camp. Speaks to how well Dante scoops up raw hunks of clay and makes them players and how rarely the Pats go shopping for OL in FA.
DE Shawn Ellis, Derrick Burgess, Will Smith
DT Albert Haynesworth, Terrance Knighton
LB Victor Hobson, James Harrison?
S Victor Green, Adrian Wilson, John Lynch, Tank Williams
CB Terrell Buckley, Shawn Springs, Deltha O'Neal, Duane Starks
K/P - N/A

Next the good. What late career players with extensive resumes have then come to the Pats and contributed well?

QB Flutie, Testaverde held backup spots, but no in game production
RB Corey Dillon, Blount (the return), Antowain Smith, Larry Centers, Fred Taylor?
TE Martellus Bennett, Alge Crumpler
WR Randy Moss, Deion Branch (the return), Donte Stallworth
OL Brian Waters. Same note as the bad list. Not much to choose from.
DE Andre Carter, Bobby Hamilton, Anthony Pleasant
DT Ted Washington
LB Junior Seau, Roman Phifer, James Harrison?
S Rodney Harrison, Pat Chung (the return), Stephen Gregory
CB Darelle Revis, Brandon Browner, Tyrone Poole
K/P Shayne Graham

Terrence Buckley was a very good rotational CB. Had 7 picks in 2 years also.

Good job otherwise, but not fair to Mr. Harrison. Might put Mr Harris there unless things change.

Kicker would be Shayne Graham. I was going to say Robbie Gould, but this is a list of those who played with the Patriots as opposed to their post-Patriot NFL career.

As for punters there have been several: Lee Johnson, Ken Walter, Josh Miller, Chris Hanson. Most started out on Santa's nice list but ended up on the naughty side and being cut.

Some players I am having trouble relating with the title of 'bad', because that has the connotation that their signing was poor judgement or failure by the front office. The acquisition of many of these veterans at the end of their career was of very little risk, with minimal expectations. Maybe 'high production' and 'low production' would be more appropriate.
Good:

QB:
Babe Parilli
RB: Chuck Foreman
WR: Harold Jackson
K: Tony Franklin
OL: Guy Morriss

Bad:

DL:
Ernie Holmes
QB: Joe Kapp
LB: Monty Beisel

Ugly:

5980949559_c3ce07eba1_o.jpg

PatsflyingElvis.gif

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back