PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The officiating sucks: 2016 edition

Status
Not open for further replies.
Let's get to the genesis of the issue, why did the NFL decided 2 or 3 years ago to create this flag festival?

When and what was the turning point? Because this wasn't something that came progressively, it was all of a sudden, OK that the game has slowly becoming softer even before the concussion issues (or maybe the NFL already knew and felt that this issue was going to come to light very soon) but this issue with the flags came up already in the start of a pre-season and everybody complained even the media. The emphasis on illegal contact and all those things to help passing offenses.

I don't recall if this issue came up in the year of the refs lockout or the year after the Broncos got raped by the Seahawks in the SB. I think it's the later.

Ok, the game wasn't already like it once was, but after the rape the Broncos took on the SB48 there was this talk here about the NFL creating rules to help Peyton again, because the Seahawks absolutely kicked their ass in the SB and molested Peyton receivers.

Well, even though it seems the NFL always had something in the bag for the Mannings honestly that doesn't seem to be the answer, he was already 38 or something. It wouldn't be smart to ruin the game for that cause and I'm considering the NFL standards for "smart" is not very high. If it was 15 years ago OK, I could see them sitting in a desk like Hitler on those videos and designing the story they wanted "ok, Peyton the son of Archie Manning is coming to the league and the kid is good, we need to promote him and makes him win 5 SB, our ratings will sky rocket in the process". Back then it wasn't Goodell though. I just don't see this reasoning now.

So here comes my conspiracy theory, or delusional, call whatever you want, by I believe the NFL is rigged at some point, how deep I don't know, for what kind of interests (personal, selling stories, Vegas, ownership arm wrestling, whatever) I don't know, but I believe we have seen already some games being conducted in a certain way to say the least. BUT...if there is some truth in that, the NFL couldn't simply starting doing this stuff out of the nowhere, they are in the spotlight. So first, you create a disguise and use that as an excuse, so let's create a lot of useless and no sense rules, makes the refs call everything, create a world of mess and chaos (what is a reception, what's not), makes everybody confused including the guys who shouldn't, like the players and refs, so "mistakes" become forgivable because "there is so many rules these days". Well there you have it, now you can move the sticks the way you want and there is an explanation for that, hell I thought I could use a quote from Heath Ledger's Joker from the Batman movie but searching on the internet I found a few of them that we could use here:

“As you know, madness is like gravity...all it takes is a little push.”
The Joker - Heath Ledger

“Nobody panics when things go “according to plan”. Even if the plan is horrifying!”
The Joker - Heath Ledger

“‎"Introduce a little anarchy. Upset the established order, and everything becomes chaos. I'm an agent of chaos...”
The Joker - Heath Ledger

Hell the taunting penalty is a weapon they put in the refs hands to change the outcome of a game, guys scream after every play, the cameras can't capture what they are saying, it's the word of the ref against the word of the player, and the other team benefiting from the penalty will applaud and support the ref, they are not going to stand against the call and say "hey he did nothing".

Is it worth to ruin the game to suit a certain agenda? I don't know, it seems to me that the Peyton agenda doesn't fit the story here, then you have the expansion plans, making the game more attractive to new fans etc...so you need larger scores, TD's and big plays, but well if that's the idea it's not what we are seeing, actually the game is terrible to watch, so in my mind there's something more to that, either that or the NFL is breaking all the records of stupidity because it's crystal clear the game has become a total garbage in recent years.

Let's get to the genesis of the issue, why did the NFL decided 2 or 3 years ago to create this flag festival?

When and what was the turning point? Because this wasn't something that came progressively, it was all of a sudden, OK that the game has slowly becoming softer even before the concussion issues (or maybe the NFL already knew and felt that this issue was going to come to light very soon) but this issue with the flags came up already in the start of a pre-season and everybody complained even the media. The emphasis on illegal contact and all those things to help passing offenses.

I don't recall if this issue came up in the year of the refs lockout or the year after the Broncos got raped by the Seahawks in the SB. I think it's the later.

Ok, the game wasn't already like it once was, but after the rape the Broncos took on the SB48 there was this talk here about the NFL creating rules to help Peyton again, because the Seahawks absolutely kicked their ass in the SB and molested Peyton receivers.

Well, even though it seems the NFL always had something in the bag for the Mannings honestly that doesn't seem to be the answer, he was already 38 or something. It wouldn't be smart to ruin the game for that cause and I'm considering the NFL standards for "smart" is not very high. If it was 15 years ago OK, I could see them sitting in a desk like Hitler on those videos and designing the story they wanted "ok, Peyton the son of Archie Manning is coming to the league and the kid is good, we need to promote him and makes him win 5 SB, our ratings will sky rocket in the process". Back then it wasn't Goodell though. I just don't see this reasoning now.

So here comes my conspiracy theory, or delusional, call whatever you want, by I believe the NFL is rigged at some point, how deep I don't know, for what kind of interests (personal, selling stories, Vegas, ownership arm wrestling, whatever) I don't know, but I believe we have seen already some games being conducted in a certain way to say the least. BUT...if there is some truth in that, the NFL couldn't simply starting doing this stuff out of the nowhere, they are in the spotlight. So first, you create a disguise and use that as an excuse, so let's create a lot of useless and no sense rules, makes the refs call everything, create a world of mess and chaos (what is a reception, what's not), makes everybody confused including the guys who shouldn't, like the players and refs, so "mistakes" become forgivable because "there is so many rules these days". Well there you have it, now you can move the sticks the way you want and there is an explanation for that, hell I thought I could use a quote from Heath Ledger's Joker from the Batman movie but searching on the internet I found a few of them that we could use here:

“As you know, madness is like gravity...all it takes is a little push.”
The Joker - Heath Ledger

“Nobody panics when things go “according to plan”. Even if the plan is horrifying!”
The Joker - Heath Ledger

“‎"Introduce a little anarchy. Upset the established order, and everything becomes chaos. I'm an agent of chaos...”
The Joker - Heath Ledger

Hell the taunting penalty is a weapon they put in the refs hands to change the outcome of a game, guys scream after every play, the cameras can't capture what they are saying, it's the word of the ref against the word of the player, and the other team benefiting from the penalty will applaud and support the ref, they are not going to stand against the call and say "hey he did nothing".

Is it worth to ruin the game to suit a certain agenda? I don't know, it seems to me that the Peyton agenda doesn't fit the story here, then you have the expansion plans, making the game more attractive to new fans etc...so you need larger scores, TD's and big plays, but well if that's the idea it's not what we are seeing, actually the game is terrible to watch, so in my mind there's something more to that, either that or the NFL is breaking all the records of stupidity because it's crystal clear the game has become a total garbage in recent years.

I think you're giving those idiots in the NFL head office too much credit. They don't even know how air pressure works.

I think you're giving those idiots in the NFL head office too much credit. They don't even know how air pressure works.

yeah I'm feeling myself a little in Bobby's World but again my first question makes sense, why did the NFL decided to create this flag festival?

yeah I'm feeling myself a little in Bobby's World but again my first question makes sense, why did the NFL decided to create this flag festival?
Because it's good for offense which is good for fantasy football which is good for the bottom line.

This has been my thought process as well. How the hell does an official keep up with all the subjective rule changes? Instead of merely calling blatant penalties that impact the play or actually protect the player from dirty hits, the refs have to make all kinds of judgment calls on "zero tolerance" rules, not to mention stuff that has no bearing on the outcome of a game (i.e. the various ways you can get a 15 yard penalty for celebrating a TD)
Plus the language of the rules changes sometimes from year to year. It must be difficult for the refs to keep up.

To be fair the Pats were the beneficiaries of a pass interference call on third down (Edelman was the player who was 'interfered'.) Kept a drive going as it was on a failed thrid and long......not even Edelman was calling for a flag.

The Bennett 'holding' call at Arizona was atrocious.

This has been my thought process as well. How the hell does an official keep up with all the subjective rule changes? Instead of merely calling blatant penalties that impact the play or actually protect the player from dirty hits, the refs have to make all kinds of judgment calls on "zero tolerance" rules, not to mention stuff that has no bearing on the outcome of a game (i.e. the various ways you can get a 15 yard penalty for celebrating a TD)
I think you make a good point, but my complaint doesn't come when they MISS a call. Given the increased speed of the game in recent years, I would think that it has become more difficult to catch everything at game speed with no advantage of replay.

The problem I have with officials is when they CREATE the call. That is when they throw that "phantom" flag where very little or nothing has occurred. So in the last game it was the Ryan hands to the face flag that pissed me off, not the other stuff which in the moment might have been missed. The emphasis SHOULD be, when in doubt, keep it in your pocket.

Back before replay, everyone assumed that officials would screw up occasionally just like the players. You would decry the bad calls, but THEN you'd move on. And you CERTAINLY wouldn't see some kind of conspiracy by the league or gambling interests behind it (or at least not nearly as much as today). Now with instant replay (god I wish it was 'instant' ;) ), every error an official makes is exposed. I doubt most of us would fair as will if we worked in an atmosphere where every snap decision we made could be second guessed. :eek:

Most of them do a really good job. I'm constantly amazed how often they get those close sideline catches right. I know a lot of the time, I don't what's in or out without looking at the replay. Now its not only did they get both feet in bounds or did the knee touch, or did the ball move.....all in an instant, they are doing it under the pressure of replay and 70,000 fans. I would have bet money that LGB was in on that last TD the first time, and that's after I saw the first replay. I'd have been wrong though.

To summarize, I can deal with the ones they miss. I have problems with the ones they seemingly create out of thin air.

I'd like to see a website that grades the refs and keeps track of penalty statistics.

For example, how many roughing the passer calls does Brady get compared to other quarterbacks? That kind of information doesn't seem to be categorized and recorded.

32 fanbases would just love to read a neutral analysis on how their game got refereed I believe.

Did your team get hoses by the refs?

We need a website that says, yes or no.

Consistency.
Partiality.
No-calls vs calls.
etc

I'd like to see a website that grades the refs and keeps track of penalty statistics.

For example, how many roughing the passer calls does Brady get compared to other quarterbacks? That kind of information doesn't seem to be categorized and recorded.

32 fanbases would just love to read a neutral analysis on how their game got refereed I believe.

Did your team get hoses by the refs?

We need a website that says, yes or no.

Consistency.
Partiality.
No-calls vs calls.
etc

This might help.

NFL Penalties - 2016 League Penalty Stats - View by Total - NFL Penalty Stats Tracker - List/Statistics/Data of NFL Penalties - 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016

My favorite NFL Ref play stoppage was the "we weren't ready" whistle vs the Bills.

I think you make a good point, but my complaint doesn't come when they MISS a call. Given the increased speed of the game in recent years, I would think that it has become more difficult to catch everything at game speed with no advantage of replay.

The problem I have with officials is when they CREATE the call. That is when they throw that "phantom" flag where very little or nothing has occurred. So in the last game it was the Ryan hands to the face flag that pissed me off, not the other stuff which in the moment might have been missed. The emphasis SHOULD be, when in doubt, keep it in your pocket.

Back before replay, everyone assumed that officials would screw up occasionally just like the players. You would decry the bad calls, but THEN you'd move on. And you CERTAINLY wouldn't see some kind of conspiracy by the league or gambling interests behind it (or at least not nearly as much as today). Now with instant replay (god I wish it was 'instant' ;) ), every error an official makes is exposed. I doubt most of us would fair as will if we worked in an atmosphere where every snap decision we made could be second guessed. :eek:

Most of them do a really good job. I'm constantly amazed how often they get those close sideline catches right. I know a lot of the time, I don't what's in or out without looking at the replay. Now its not only did they get both feet in bounds or did the knee touch, or did the ball move.....all in an instant, they are doing it under the pressure of replay and 70,000 fans. I would have bet money that LGB was in on that last TD the first time, and that's after I saw the first replay. I'd have been wrong though.

To summarize, I can deal with the ones they miss. I have problems with the ones they seemingly create out of thin air.

I think we're seeing it the same way. That's the same issue I have. In fact, according to the way the rules are written they probably miss a ton of calls, but when they make ticky-tack calls, I'm not so sure they're calling it wrong if you're going by the Herr Goodell's new book. It's very uneven, but I think that's in part because the way the rules are written makes it difficult for a ref to either 1) not throw a flag on every play or 2) discern if there was a penalty or not.

The fact they get it so right on some bang-bang plays tells me that we're not necessarily looking at incompetence. Rather, it's a case of either confusion with all the new rules, or a grudging acceptance that they have to make ticky-tack calls, so they're made unevenly.

More signs that it is just a result of incompetence and not conspiracy:

Bill Belichick has had it with tablets, wonders where’s urgency from NFL to fix communication issues
“Overall, there’s a lot of complexity to the technology, there’s complexity to the multiple systems,” Belichick noted. “There are a lot of failures. I know on our end, Dan does a great job to fix those as quickly as possible. He has very limited access to. I don’t know how much urgency there is on the other part, from the league’s standpoint. How much urgency is there from them to everything right? I don’t know. I’m not involved in that.

“It was problem last week. It’s basically a problem every week. The degrees aren’t always the same but we’re usually dealing with something. But as far as the tablet goes, there was an experiment in a couple of preseason games… where we had video on the tablets. But for me, personally, it’s a personal decision. I’m done with the tablets. I’ll use the paper pictures from here on because… I’ve given it my best shot. I’ve tried to work through the process but it just doesn’t work for me and that’s because there’s no consistency to it. Long answer to a short question, sorry.”

Can we post videos/GIF links to the most egregious calls? I haven't seen the Browns/Washington football team fumble call/non-call.

Ok, so what's the problem here? The clip cutfoff. All I see is Browns guy losing the ball.

Edit: nevermind I found this that explains it. LOL

I actually understand why this doesn't get overturned. It all comes down to the idiot female ref ruling it Washington Football. Basically since there's no clear recovery of browns player wrapping himself around the ball it's not going to be overturned.

But the refs are inconsistent here. The 1st fumble in the Texans game. I never saw clear recovery by the Pats player. I saw the Pats player jumping on the football, but after that I couldn't see where the ball was honestly. Maybe that's enough?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

What Did Tom Brady Say During His Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Drew Bledsoe Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast? Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Belichick Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
Monday Patriots Notebook 5/6: News and Notes
Tom Brady Sustains, Dishes Some Big Hits on Netflix Roast Special
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Back