PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The official Patriots Chargers POST game thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: The offficial Patriots Chargers POST game thread.

The surprise stat of the season so far for me:

Deion Branch through 2 games: 15 catches 208 yards

I thought plays like when Garay came in low on Brady just after her threw it were very illegal now? But the officials didn't even blink. That was bleepin scary. I hope Goodell fines the crap out of Garay.

They are supposed to be illegal. Clearly that official wasn't paying attention.

So, impressions..

The offense looked good as always, Brady is playing like a man possessed. I would have wanted a few more runs thrown in as a surprise, but the the pass was getting so much yardage that it didn't really matter.

On the defensive side it looks a bit bleaker. Although I gotta say V. Jackson looked pretty damn good out there. The things that might end up being a concerns later on is what seem to be like a definite lack of pressure on Rivers. That and the steady amount of yardage SDs RBs where getting for free by just a delayed route in the flat. There is so much empty space there and no one seemed to be spying for it.

espnfail.jpg
Hahah they listed the wrong Gronk

Some things that pop to mind:

- Deion Branch runs really pretty routes.

- Philip Rivers throws amazingly accurate deep balls.

- Can we officially declare that "Mayo doesn't make big plays" meme dead? Two absolute game-changers in critical situations tonight.

- It's a lot of fun watching people try to tackle Rob Gronkowski when he has a full head of steam.

- Anybody else feel like they kept seeing the number 50 in the middle of good defensive plays? Glad they extended Ninkovich.

- I suspect a lot of the reporting on this game will be along the lines of NFL.com's headine: "Brady leads Pats, who capitalize on Bolts' miscues." IMO the word "miscues" doesn't do the defense justice this time. It's not like last year, when SD literally left balls lying on the ground unloved. Yeah, Tolbert was boneheaded running backwards. But by and large, those turnovers were forced. (Did you ever once find yourself laughing at Rivers, saying "what was he THINKING with that throw?")

A win is a win. Somewhat concerned about a couple spots in our secondary but I think it'll solidifiy as the year goes on. Sometimes it's good to have some struggles early, a learning experience for a young defense. McCourty is struggling he needs to get it together. Hopefully it's just a result of a shortened preseason.

Brady and the offense was amazing yet again. To see them struggle a bit in the 2nd half then bounce back and lead 2 TD drives is VERY encouraging after what we've seen from this offense the past few years when it gets in a funk. Nice to see them close out a game instead of crashing and burning when the other team starts to come back like we've been known to do in the BOB era.

Our team overcame some very shady officiating, something to be very proud of alot of teams let that tear them down. Especially after the 'injuries' by Chargers defenders and diving at Brady's knee. Amazing composure. Great team win today, defense helped out the O when they were in a slight funk and then the O picked up the defense when they started to break.

Did Brady actually get hurt or did it just scare everyone?

I thought plays like when Garay came in low on Brady just after her threw it were very illegal now? But the officials didn't even blink. That was bleepin scary. I hope Goodell fines the crap out of Garay.
Yeah i thought there was a rule against hitting QBs below the knees, Oh wait, i just remembered its called the Brady Rule.:rolleyes: I doubt we hear a peep out of the Commish, it is the Pats and his team IS the Rats.

Last edited:

Guys - When Rivers is forced to dump it to his RBs the way he was doing, it was because of the pressure the Pats were putting on him. The Pats were regularly pushing the pocket back and forcing him to dump it or to throw on the run. I think that Rivers only had 5 or 6 throws where he wasn't pressured.. Even on the one-handed TD grab by Jackson, there was pressure on Rivers.

THE DEFENSE
It gives up lots and lots of yards.
No one is going to make a living running up the middle against us.
We take lots of chances.
We have will have lots of sacks and turnovers.
Three goal-line stops in two weeks - awesome!
I'm concerned about the injuries to the defensive backs.

Our pass D still sucks. Henne last week and now Rivers this week. No pressure at all on Rivers besides three times by my count. One caused an INT and the other on Andersen's sack. Another on Ninko's blitz. Our run D also looked awful for the most part.

On the positive note, we did get turnovers and that goal line stand was great. That's twice now in two weeks we stopped teams at the goal line.

McCourty got beat like a red headed step child again. Some were great plays by Jackson/Rivers, but a good amount of them he should have made. McCourty set expectations pretty high based on his rookie season. He has yet to come close to live up to them. The season's young, so let's hope he turns it around.

Can someone explain how the heck Andre Carter was penalised for roughing the passer ? He wrapped up Rivers and took him to the turf. Don't understand what Carter is supposed to do....he just completed the tackle. Yet some Charger douchebag going for Tom's knee isn't a flag :confused:

Last edited:
Andre Carter Penalty Deserves a FINE!!

SERIOUSLY.

WHEN are we gonna start fining REFS??? :mad:

Re: Andre Carter Penalty Deserves a FINE!!

yes, that was a horrible call. A text book tackle and he draws the flag. Dont understand that one at all. That and the no call on the low hit on Brady that really looked bad the way Bradys knee was bent. Terrible

Last edited:

Great win by the Pats. The offense, aside from a putrid two drives in the 3rd, was great. We might have the worst passing D in the NFL seriously NO PRESSURE ever! It was so frustrating watching 3rd down after 3rd down converted. The game could have been much closer. I hope that the D gradually the Offense might not always score 30+.

Simms concluded it was for driving him into the ground, but that's not what the ref said, was it? IIRC he said leading with the crown of the helmet, which was just flat-out wrong.

The defense will be better after they've played together for awhile.

You do realize that the patriots have NEVER scored fewer than 30 points in an opening game at Gillette.

Great win by the Pats. The offense, aside from a putrid two drives in the 3rd, was great. We might have the worst passing D in the NFL seriously NO PRESSURE ever! It was so frustrating watching 3rd down after 3rd down converted. The game could have been much closer. I hope that the D gradually the Offense might not always score 30+.

Simms concluded it was for driving him into the ground, but that's not what the ref said, was it? IIRC he said leading with the crown of the helmet, which was just flat-out wrong.

That's exactly what the ref said, and I'm sure he won't get called on it. Just an awful call. It would have been iffy if the call was driving him into the ground but it was in now way leading with the crown of the helmet.

How bout Ocho getting involved?

HE caught 2 passes. The crowd went crazy

Yeah i thought there was a rule against hitting QBs below the knees, Oh wait, i just remembered its called the Brady Rule. I doubt we hear a pep out of the Commish, it is the Pats and his team IS the Rats.

It's not called the Brady Rule by the league, only by the mediots. It was instituted after both Brady and Carson Palmer were lost for the season because of hits below the knee back in 2008..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe